Reduction of weights argument

Started by Ghetto, February 23, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

I'd send two kids because that is what I had.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ghetto

Quote from: neutral on February 24, 2014, 09:26:46 AM
Why in the friggin' world are we discussing reduction of weight classes during the week plus prior to the top wrestling events in our state!

If you can't stick to the positives of our sport over the next 12 days ... your part of the problem.

Quit with the negative waves!!

I was going to wait. People asked.

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on February 24, 2014, 09:27:19 AM

How would you know what you'll have for next year?  Your a better recruiter than that.   ;)
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Ghetto on February 24, 2014, 09:01:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that I'll never get this to even come to a vote but I continue to push, because I think in general, its also good for our sport.

Newsflash: Teams like mine, who are not challenging the Kaukauna's and Rapids, Merrill's and Milton's DON'T CARE about those teams. We don't care about beating them. What we care about is beating Homestead in front of our home crowd so we can generate more interest in our program. We might be able to overcome a FF or two, but when we are down 24-0 before it starts, it's a tough sell. Winning creates buzz, which creates more interest in the program.

I think over the long haul that we'd be helping more than 30%. You just made that number up, so there's no evidence either way.

With WIAA rules, we can't double dual unless we drop a tournament.

Many of us are old enough to have wrestled with 12 weights. Would you say there are more numbers now that we have more weight classes? I can't say for sure if we had less weights we'd have more kids, but the numbers continue to fall. "More opportunities" isn't working either. It is time to try something new.

just made up 30%? maybe, but I bet I'm close

be honest, it doesn't help a team with 9 or less to have 12 weights... how many teams is that 30-35%?

don't help teams with 13-14 to have 12 weights...

so it only helps those with 10-12 about 30% of all teams... and saying it helps teams with 10 kids is a stretch as they still start down 12-0 against a full team.... and what if one of the weights you cut is one they fill? they might ne down to 9 wresters now

having 14 weights likely doesn't help the sport much, cutting it to 12 will not help the sport... the strong will still be strong, the weak will still be weak and the middle teams will be helped slightly.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

DocWrestling

Truth is that the state tournament is like a conference call for all the state's coaches as they are all there talking and many discussion about the future of HS wrestling in this state will be held.  Coaches share what is working and what is not and debate the future and work together.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

beastmode

Quote from: neutral on February 24, 2014, 09:26:46 AM
Why in the friggin' world are we discussing reduction of weight classes during the week plus prior to the top wrestling events in our state!

If you can't stick to the positives of our sport over the next 12 days ... your part of the problem.

Quit with the negative waves!!

Agreed!!!
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

DocWrestling

I think having 12 weights does help the teams with  8 or 9 varsity wrestlers.  They are closer to winning a dual by not losing those 12 points theoretically.  Maybe more matches in a dual rather than each team taking forfeits.  It also gives the perception to wrestlers, fans and most importantly athletic directors that this team is close and only a few wrestlers away from having a full team.

Again, athletic directors have been very generous to wrestling over the years with sending teams to travel with 9 or less kids.  I see the tide switching on that soon and programs lost.

aarons23

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 24, 2014, 09:42:23 AM
s.  It also gives the perception to wrestlers, fans and most importantly athletic directors that this team is close and only a few wrestlers away from having a full team.

Again, athletic directors have been very generous to wrestling over the years with sending teams to travel with 9 or less kids.  I see the tide switching on that soon and programs lost.

It won't matter because cutting weight classes will give the AD and administration the sport is dying so when those same teams that are struggling....still struggle it will make their decision much easier.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

DocWrestling

Quote from: aarons23 on February 24, 2014, 10:43:03 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 24, 2014, 09:42:23 AM
s.  It also gives the perception to wrestlers, fans and most importantly athletic directors that this team is close and only a few wrestlers away from having a full team.

It won't matter because cutting weight classes will give the AD and administration the sport is dying so when those same teams that are struggling....still struggle it will make their decision much easier.

There is a point to this.   We just have to be careful because it comes down to finances usually.  With fewer duals with idea of more traingulars, that means fewer home events which is the downfall from a fan perspective and and a financial perspective.  Heck we only have 3 or 4 home duals each year now.

Ghetto

I don't think administrators will care if there are 12 or 14 weights.

DocWrestling

Quote from: Ghetto on February 24, 2014, 11:26:17 AM
Especially if there are actually JV wrestlers then.

There is a coaching element here.  Because so many teams like JV's, there are fewer and fewer JV coaches that are paid for by the schools

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on February 24, 2014, 11:26:17 AM

It's not that they care if 12 or 14... It's the perception that the weights were reduced because the sport is dying...let's face it...many AD's could care less about the sport....so do you really think cutting wright classes would have no affect on their perception?

It's very strenuous! 

ramjet

Quote from: aarons23 on February 24, 2014, 09:32:50 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on February 24, 2014, 09:27:19 AM

How would you know what you'll have for next year?  Your a better recruiter than that.   ;)

I am sure he is that in itself should show you something.

aarons23

Neutral is trying to burry this thread! ;D

It's very strenuous! 

jaguarwrestler

I much rather have 8th grade inclusion than cut weights... try it for 5 years if it doesn't improve anything then cut 1 weight... if it is a real success maybe we go to 7th grade next.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!