Reduction of weights argument

Started by Ghetto, February 23, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MHSfan

There are very few 106 lbers that couldn't compete at 113. What a bout the 300 lb kid they are rare but why not a class for them. I'm not even saying get rid of 106 just reduce the number.  How about 105 115 125 135 145 155 165 175 185 195 Hwt.  There's 11 and I left one for the small guys. 11 makes an automatic tie breaker.

DocWrestling

My best idea is similar

115 125 135 145 155 165 175 185 195 Hwt.

These 10 weights, no allowances of any kind and must make the weight or lower 75% of your matches during the season to be eligible at that weight for the WIAA season.  Easier to fill weight classes where kids can wrestle at their natural weight or a weight class up rather than forcing more kids to cut to fill weight classes that are lower than the average high school weight.

Those would be the varsity weights.  I would take away 7 or 8 lbs from each weight class to create the JV weight classes.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Say-Say

Quote from: MHSfan on February 23, 2014, 06:07:53 PM
There are very few 106 lbers that couldn't compete at 113. What a bout the 300 lb kid they are rare but why not a class for them. I'm not even saying get rid of 106 just reduce the number.  How about 105 125 135 145 155 165 175 185 195 Hwt.  There's 10 and I left one for the small guys.

This looks more reasonable to me, but I'd be more likely to add in a weight at the lower end than the higher end.

Quite honestly, no high schooler should be pushing 285 anyway. That's not a healthy weight to begin with. There's plenty of naturally small-sized kids (and some career 106/113 pounders) to go around. Anyone over 285 that wants to wrestle should be cutting down to get to a reasonable weight. Any little guy under 106 is already taking a hit on the chin having to be giving up weight each match against bigger kids that are cutting down.

Why should the kids that are naturally smaller be forced to wrestle kids 20 pounds heavier, versus kids that are obese at 300 be forced to lose some weight to get down to a healthier one?  ???

ramjet

12 weights is reasonable I like Docs weight idea except I would add 110 and 215-220.

Here me out 14 based on stats is too many but you want to consider the small guys then at the high end you have place for those that are little small to wrestle a 250+ guy.

Of course this is all just fun to talk about it will not happen so Aaron take it easy it's just banter.  ;)

MHSfan

Sorry Say Say I missed 115 I edited my post.  

BIEBS

Lets get creative and really do something that will help the sport of wrestling.  ie Shorten the season...start in Mid December....if we don't shorten the season..lets stop wrestling every weekend from the start of Dec through Feb.  Kids, coaches, and parents are sick of it.
# 1 reason kids don't join wrestling is because they value their weekends.  #2  the season is too long  #3  Their just pansies.  You will never hear a kid when asked why they don't join say "I'm not going to wrestle because there is 14 weight classes to choose from".  They don't come out because unlike any other sport we wrestle every weekend from Dec through Feb practice 4 days a week and 2 days of competition with one day off.   We do not need 45+ matches to figure out who the best in the state is. 

Another complaint I hear from coaches, parents and wrestlers is the tournaments are too long....all day!
we can shorten tournaments by shortening the match time....do we really need to wrestle 6 minutes to figure out who the better wrestler is?  lets do 1-2-2 on Saturdays or lets get crazy and do 1-1-2.

Just changing our sport either by shortening the season or by cutting back on weekends will get a lot more kids to join our sport.  Let's stop talking in circles about dropping weight classes...it will never better our sport. 

beastmode

I think we should cut the HW class because all of those kids are overweight....I'm obviously being sarcastic, but by cutting 106, your just punishing smaller kids.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

BIEBS

Ghetto....do the sport a favor and actually ask kids why they don't join wrestling.  That would be an eye opening study for everyone....guarantee you they will not say anything about 14 or 12 weight classes.

aarons23

Quote from: ramjet on February 23, 2014, 06:45:36 PM
12 weights is reasonable I like Docs weight idea except I would add 110 and 215-220.

Here me out 14 based on stats is too many but you want to consider the small guys then at the high end you have place for those that are little small to wrestle a 250+ guy.

Of course this is all just fun to talk about it will not happen so Aaron take it easy it's just banter.  ;)

Your the only with your panties in a bundle.  I'm not worried because the WIAA isn't making any changes anytime soon.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

BIEBS

What is most fascinating is that we look at low numbers from regionals and think to ourselves we can fix that by reducing the number of weight classes!  Instead of actually dealing with the real problem with our sport.   

boowrestle

Biebs,the real problem with our sport has nothing to do with the season being too long ???
you can run but you cannot hide.

BIEBS

Boowrestle....yes it is.  The Wiaa season should be shortened.  The open tournaments can continue and kids can still choose whether to attend open tournaments and events.  But go ahead...keep arguing about 12 or 14.  Nobody ever said wrestling fans were the brightest bunch.

MantyWrestler

It's just so sad for me to read all the posts wanting g to get rid of 106. What are guys like me suppose to do if we like wrestling? I was 85# as a freshman, 90# as a sophomore. Defending 2 time freestyle champ and a good wrestler. It could not make varsity because I was too small. Wrestled at 112 as a senior but actually weighed I. At 109 for my 5th place match. 7# under what I could have weighed. Raise the lowest weight another 3# from there and I may have never made it there.

Now how many would never see a varsity match, not because they ae not good enough but be ause they are just too small for 115. Doc, easy for you to say. What did you wrestle at? Your like 200# plus now. Easy for all you it guys to say the lowest weight should be moved up, you had all kinds of splats to compete in.

I would have loved to play football but was too small. Also too small for baseball. Just got over powered.

There are a lot of forfeits at 285# why doing you guys suggest getting rid of 285 and or 220?

Issue is and has always been participation. We have it here in Manitowoc in all sports now. We DO have kids who could wrestle at 106 in our school but they don't wrestle for various reasons. We need to get those guys involved. A lot of it goes back to the youth programs. The better youth programs somehow always seem to fill all weight classes on the high school team.

I suggest that successful programs share what works with the other schools around them. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Mat side weighing to make excessive cutting less attractive.

Uniform update. Wrestlers get it but a lot if kids are not fond of the singlet. Combat shorts and compression tops would be more attractive to many youth.

Kids tournaments need to GET PARENTS IN THE STANDS! 1 coach per corner MAX. Fans a can film or cheer from the stands. You would never see a mom or dad half way in the lane screaming SHOOT during a basketball game.

Shorter season. Start after thanksgiving. 5 tournament max with   Additional match per day(6). 10 duals with maybe 2 per week at times. Would also help with excessive cutting because it would be too hard to yo-yo.

Mirror college weights with 106 112 and 119. Makes 13 weights and a tie breaker. Hilt in. 197 is good enough for college it should be good enough for high school.

Just some thoughts.
Jack Youngchild
Manitowoc Lincoln

BIEBS

Thank-you MantyWrestler....finally some logic and real answer to the problems of low numbers. 

Say-Say

I love the long season. It makes the winters more tolerable.