Reduction of weights argument

Started by Ghetto, February 23, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Quote from: 1Iota on February 25, 2014, 11:26:13 AM
This is an issue being faced by coaches in every sport.  Kids today have more options than in the past, Rugby, Lacrosse, Soccer, ski team, ect.  Combine that with the fact that less kids are multiple sport athletes, & you can see why every sport is fighting to keep kids.  I have spoken to our football coach who has pleaded with me to speak with a few of our year round wrestlers, that in their youth were stud football players & he is certain would be again at the HS level.  25 years ago it would have been a no brainer that these kids would play football.  Now they travel across the country all spring, summer, & into the fall participating in wresting tournaments.  It will never be the same as it was in the past no matter what changes are made. 

...unless the sports leadership across the country ALL makes the same changes together.  That's a long shot.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

boowrestle

??? I really have a hard time believing that the most popular subject on here is about cutting weight classes,especially 2 days before the biggest tournament that some kids will ever wrestle in.I guarantee that there isnt a wrestler that is getting ready for the big show that is worrying about length of season or amount of Saturdays that have been tied up for last 3 monthes!!!
you can run but you cannot hide.

neutral

This is an issue being faced by coaches in every sport.  Kids today have more options than in the past, Rugby, Lacrosse, Soccer, ski team, ect.  Combine that with the fact that less kids are multiple sport athletes, & you can see why every sport is fighting to keep kids.  I have spoken to our football coach who has pleaded with me to speak with a few of our year round wrestlers, that in their youth were stud football players & he is certain would be again at the HS level.  25 years ago it would have been a no brainer that these kids would play football.  Now they travel across the country all spring, summer, & into the fall participating in wresting tournaments.  It will never be the same as it was in the past no matter what changes are made. 

If only that was a problem that every school had.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

neutral

Quote from: boowrestle on February 25, 2014, 12:14:00 PM
??? I really have a hard time believing that the most popular subject on here is about cutting weight classes,especially 2 days before the biggest tournament that some kids will ever wrestle in.I guarantee that there isnt a wrestler that is getting ready for the big show that is worrying about length of season or amount of Saturdays that have been tied up for last 3 monthes!!!

HERE! ... HERE!!
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

ramjet

The single most important component to recruitment

Success

1Iota

Quote from: neutral on February 25, 2014, 12:53:32 PM

But it is a problem at a lot of schools.  Not always wrestling, but football is losing kids to a lot of other sports.  Numbers are down across the country for high school football.  Which was my original point.  All sports are facing this issue, even America's passion. 

imnofish

Quote from: 1Iota on February 25, 2014, 02:17:58 PM
Quote from: neutral on February 25, 2014, 12:53:32 PM

But it is a problem at a lot of schools.  Not always wrestling, but football is losing kids to a lot of other sports.  Numbers are down across the country for high school football.  Which was my original point.  All sports are facing this issue, even America's passion. 

Our football team during the 1995-96 school year had ONE senior out for football, because most of the boys were involved in basketball year-round.  It started a couple of years before that, when we had so many varsity basketball players that the bench looked like the first row of fans.  One of our senior wrestlers took pity on the majority of bored basketball players and ordered a large pizza to be delivered to the bench during a home game.  For some reason, it was frowned upon.   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

idol-alum

One of our senior wrestlers took pity on the majority of bored basketball players and ordered a large pizza to be delivered to the bench during a home game.  For some reason, it was frowned upon.        Classic, that young man has my vote for President.
Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.
- Aldous Huxley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------