Great Day to be a Badger

Started by crossface21, May 11, 2024, 01:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornbuckleb

Let's Go!  kinda gets under my skin along with downtown, but hey that's my issue.  All you can do is Try to Try  ;D

asdf

Quote from: npope on June 12, 2024, 07:06:47 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on June 11, 2024, 09:47:18 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on June 11, 2024, 09:38:32 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on June 11, 2024, 09:33:44 PM
Quote from: bigoil on June 11, 2024, 09:06:03 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on June 11, 2024, 08:22:51 PM
Quote from: head57 on June 11, 2024, 01:19:00 PM
Quote from: wrestle03 on June 11, 2024, 10:52:50 AMYes, a few weeks old and FAR from any sort of huge signing and or announcement.  Another "hype" post by Bono.

He literally does it for every single commitment. Pretty much every sport for UW goes something similar.

Grow up.
I just checked X.com and it appears Bono is the only UW coach that says "great day to be a Badger" over and over.  Fickel doesn't say it-he says "Committed!"  Huge difference.  Given how few elite prospects Bono has landed, especially in Wisconsin, when UW is the only D1 School in the state, I find it a bit distasteful for Bono to hype up his recruiting.  I really can't find fault with someone who chooses to call Bono a Hypster, Used-Car Salesman or Blowhard.
How many other D1 football teams are in WI?

Other wrestling announcements:
Cowboy incoming 🤠

Always a great day when you add to the family.  #PantherTrain

The phrase "Cowboy Incoming" isn't hyping to me and Oklahoma State has won more titles than any program in the country.  Neither is Fickel's phrase "Committed."  While Northern Iowa's recruit announcement slogans are somewhat like Bono's, the additional verbiage "when you add to the family" makes it a bit milder.  Plus Doug Schwab seems more of a plaintalking, respected coach who has to compete for recruits in state with both Iowa and Iowa State and Schwab has done ok recruiting (Keckeisen alone is impressive).  I wish Bono would tone down the rhetoric.

What could he say that is acceptable to you?
I prefer he say what the top schools say like Penn State or Iowa, which is pretty much nothing.  No need to hype it up.  But if he wants to say "Welcome aboard", "Committed" or "Badger Incoming", I would be fine with that.  I just get tired of his overuse of "great" ad nauseum, which renders the term meaningless when Bono says it.

Not liking the "level of energy" of the phrase "It's a great day to be a Badger" has is a bit nitpicky, quite honestly. It is a marketing catch-phrase and if the team improves its recruiting and team-finish results then the phrase will be welcomed into the home of all. Bono (and his marketing team) has a job to do - let's let them do it. Focus on tangible issues if you want to gripe about the state of the program - there's fertile, and more objective, ground there.

What has Bono, Reader, and Gross done different since they came to Madison to increase recruitment?  Where have they flexed from their original plans?

-They were the first to start using the Portal, but now every other DI team has caught up and passed them.  Some of the best portals kids are going to places like Utah Valley now.  Maybe them flexing to finding great D3 kids?  But that is going to be maybe 1 kid a year and honestly once every other team see's the success, they will jump onto that as well.

-They say they have "mended fences" with AWA, but it isn't changing.  Again, Pinnacle, Sebolt, and many other Top tier clubs seem to avoid Badgers.

-They are more visible in state at camps/clinics, etc.  But again, isn't resulting in a bigger percentage of top tiers kids from staying in WI.

-The RTC apparently now has Sarbecker on as coach (thats great!), and they are minimumly adverstising/doing their HS practices.  I have said it before look at all the other RTC's, they absolutely use their HS practice schedule as recruitment and revenue.

Long story short its too little too late in my opinion.  Only way I see them digging out of the nationwide perception of their coaching is to get some recruits to jump levels.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: wrestle03 on June 11, 2024, 10:52:50 AMYes, a few weeks old and FAR from any sort of huge signing and or announcement.  Another "hype" post by Bono.

He literally does it for every single commitment. Pretty much every sport for UW goes something similar.

Grow up.
I just checked X.com and it appears Bono is the only UW coach that says "great day to be a Badger" over and over.  Fickel doesn't say it-he says "Committed!"  Huge difference.  Given how few elite prospects Bono has landed, especially in Wisconsin, when UW is the only D1 School in the state, I find it a bit distasteful for Bono to hype up his recruiting.  I really can't find fault with someone who chooses to call Bono a Hypster, Used-Car Salesman or Blowhard.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

The phrase "Cowboy Incoming" isn't hyping to me and Oklahoma State has won more titles than any program in the country.  Neither is Fickel's phrase "Committed."  While Northern Iowa's recruit announcement slogans are somewhat like Bono's, the additional verbiage "when you add to the family" makes it a bit milder.  Plus Doug Schwab seems more of a plaintalking, respected coach who has to compete for recruits in state with both Iowa and Iowa State and Schwab has done ok recruiting (Keckeisen alone is impressive).  I wish Bono would tone down the rhetoric.
Tone down the rhetoric?   Look who is calling the kettle black!!  None other than Mr Negative

BadgerOne

Quote from: Healthy and happy on June 12, 2024, 10:45:59 AM

Grow up.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

Tone down the rhetoric?   Look who is calling the kettle black!!  None other than Mr Negative
And tell me Mr. Black Kettle, how is your post positive?

VQOriginal

Cassioppi added as the Assistant Coach.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 12, 2024, 10:57:36 AM

Grow up.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

This Head Coach uses a certain term/slogan to describe a new recruit or something exciting to the program.  His slogan is well within reason that coaches use.  Because of your admitted personal bias against this coach, you yet again turn something innocent into a negative.  You asked him to "turn down the rhetoric".  All I commented on was your rhetoric which is certainly not positive.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Healthy and happy on June 13, 2024, 09:18:59 AM

Grow up.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

This Head Coach uses a certain term/slogan to describe a new recruit or something exciting to the program.  His slogan is well within reason that coaches use.  Because of your admitted personal bias against this coach, you yet again turn something innocent into a negative.  You asked him to "turn down the rhetoric".  All I commented on was your rhetoric which is certainly not positive.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't share it. We all have personal biases, based on what we experience or learn from others. In my opinion, Bono's use of social media just reinforces negative feelings toward Bono. He's over the top in a bad way and I get the sense that he's not that well liked by many in the wrestling community.  I think UW's recruiting has suffered in recent years due to people's negative feelings towards Bono.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 13, 2024, 11:53:11 AM

Grow up.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't share it. We all have personal biases, based on what we experience or learn from others. In my opinion, Bono's use of social media just reinforces negative feelings toward Bono. He's over the top in a bad way and I get the sense that he's not that well liked by many in the wrestling community.  I think UW's recruiting has suffered in recent years due to people's negative feelings towards Bono.
To use one of your saying, "Meh". Petty

BadgerOne

Quote from: Healthy and happy on June 14, 2024, 08:14:09 AM

Grow up.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

Grow up.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

You use a negative post to call me negative and a petty post to call me petty. I hope you feel better.  Have a good one!

bigoil

Seems petty badger Moran but at least admitting you hate Bono is a start. A catch phrase is meant to build enthusiasm, seems to work for most of us.

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 14, 2024, 02:00:41 PM

Grow up.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

Grow up.

Cowboy incoming 🤠

You use a negative post to call me negative and a petty post to call me petty. I hope you feel better.  Have a good one!

Healthy and happy

Why thank you, every day is a good day for me.  There is a big difference between you and I.
I am a fan of all Wisconsin sports, especially wrestling regardless of the results. I truly believe the coaches and their student athletes are working hard and are doing the best they can! I support them anyway possible. 
I just find it very hard to support folks who have very little clue to what it takes to run a D1 program in these challenging times and just want to attack the program with petty, biased personal posts. Sorry if it offends you and any of your glass have empty buddies.
Every day is a GREAT DAY to be a Badger! On Wisconsin!!

wrestle03

Healthy and Happy - you clearly are a person who accepts mediocrity.  They may be working hard but you can work harder than anyone else out there but when you dont have the talent to start with the results speak for themselves.
Keep wearing your rose colored glasses - Bono aint delivered on a single one of his many promises and you keep on drinking the kool aid.  You are comical.  "Challenging times".....hmmmmmmmm every other wrestlng coach has the same "challenging times" so stop making excuses.  Your love for Bono has caused you to be delusional.  See the results - they speak for themself.  Bono cant recruit and he sure as heck doesn't develop 99 percent of the guys in the room.  Keep on tapping into that D3 transfer portal.  The guys he is able to sign in state are far from elite recruits - thats not a bash against those guys just the truth of the matter.  The elite kids in this state dont even consider wrestling for Bono.  #FACTS

bigoil

Quote from: wrestle03 on June 14, 2024, 07:45:33 PMHealthy and Happy - you clearly are a person who accepts mediocrity.  They may be working hard but you can work harder than anyone else out there but when you dont have the talent to start with the results speak for themselves.
Keep wearing your rose colored glasses - Bono aint delivered on a single one of his many promises and you keep on drinking the kool aid.  You are comical.  "Challenging times".....hmmmmmmmm every other wrestlng coach has the same "challenging times" so stop making excuses.  Your love for Bono has caused you to be delusional.  See the results - they speak for themself.  Bono cant recruit and he sure as heck doesn't develop 99 percent of the guys in the room.  Keep on tapping into that D3 transfer portal.  The guys he is able to sign in state are far from elite recruits - thats not a bash against those guys just the truth of the matter.  The elite kids in this state dont even consider wrestling for Bono.  #FACTS

Go back and look at your posts from 2013 and on, you defended Barry until the end, what changed for you?

rankwizard

BadgerOne has a great point actually. Sometimes it's not a great day to be a Badger. But we are Badgers all the same.

Obviously we aren't able to fix our program's current shortcomings by debating whether its a great day or a tough day. Sometimes its a tough day... and ya gotta admit it.

Quit the back and forth about what a day is and go have a beer or something.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Healthy and happy on June 14, 2024, 07:18:38 PMWhy thank you, every day is a good day for me.  There is a big difference between you and I.
I am a fan of all Wisconsin sports, especially wrestling regardless of the results. I truly believe the coaches and their student athletes are working hard and are doing the best they can! I support them anyway possible. 
I just find it very hard to support folks who have very little clue to what it takes to run a D1 program in these challenging times and just want to attack the program with petty, biased personal posts. Sorry if it offends you and any of your glass have empty buddies.
Every day is a GREAT DAY to be a Badger! On Wisconsin!!
You accept mediocrity and I want something better for Wisconsin. Bono had his chance and he has failed to live up to expectations that many fans have and he himself set.  The great Ben Askren has pretty much said that too many Badger wrestling fans are complacent and satisfied with mediocrity. Support for Bono is a vote for mediocrity.  I'm excited and positive for the post-Bono era to start.  So yeah I'm pumped because once Bono is gone, the Badgers can bring on a coach who can tap into the vast talent the state is producing.  Once Bono is gone, every day will be a great day to be a Badger! I can't wait!