Great Day to be a Badger

Started by crossface21, May 11, 2024, 01:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 14, 2024, 09:28:24 PM
Quote from: Healthy and happy on June 14, 2024, 07:18:38 PMWhy thank you, every day is a good day for me.  There is a big difference between you and I.
I am a fan of all Wisconsin sports, especially wrestling regardless of the results. I truly believe the coaches and their student athletes are working hard and are doing the best they can! I support them anyway possible. 
I just find it very hard to support folks who have very little clue to what it takes to run a D1 program in these challenging times and just want to attack the program with petty, biased personal posts. Sorry if it offends you and any of your glass have empty buddies.
Every day is a GREAT DAY to be a Badger! On Wisconsin!!
You accept mediocrity and I want something better for Wisconsin. Bono had his chance and he has failed to live up to expectations that many fans have and he himself set.  The great Ben Askren has pretty much said that too many Badger wrestling fans are complacent and satisfied with mediocrity. Support for Bono is a vote for mediocrity.  I'm excited and positive for the post-Bono era to start.  So yeah I'm pumped because once Bono is gone, the Badgers can bring on a coach who can tap into the vast talent the state is producing.  Once Bono is gone, every day will be a great day to be a Badger! I can't wait!

With all your expertise and positive knowledge... please tell us your D1 head coaching resume, Tristan.  I don't believe for one moment you care about Wisconsin getting better.  You feel you have an ax to grind and this is how you want to grind it.  It's actually pretty sad... move on with your life and don't be so darned angry.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

BadgerOne

Quote from: aarons23 on June 14, 2024, 10:30:53 PM
Quote from: Healthy and happy on June 14, 2024, 07:18:38 PMWhy thank you, every day is a good day for me.  There is a big difference between you and I.
I am a fan of all Wisconsin sports, especially wrestling regardless of the results. I truly believe the coaches and their student athletes are working hard and are doing the best they can! I support them anyway possible. 
I just find it very hard to support folks who have very little clue to what it takes to run a D1 program in these challenging times and just want to attack the program with petty, biased personal posts. Sorry if it offends you and any of your glass have empty buddies.
You accept mediocrity and I want something better for Wisconsin. Bono had his chance and he has failed to live up to expectations that many fans have and he himself set.  The great Ben Askren has pretty much said that too many Badger wrestling fans are complacent and satisfied with mediocrity. Support for Bono is a vote for mediocrity.  I'm excited and positive for the post-Bono era to start.  So yeah I'm pumped because once Bono is gone, the Badgers can bring on a coach who can tap into the vast talent the state is producing.  Once Bono is gone, every day will be a great day to be a Badger! I can't wait!

With all your expertise and positive knowledge... please tell us your D1 head coaching resume, Tristan.  I don't believe for one moment you care about Wisconsin getting better.  You feel you have an ax to grind and this is how you want to grind it.  It's actually pretty sad... move on with your life and don't be so darned angry.
Your post is so off the mark its hilarious.  But you think you know who I am, what I believe etc. etc.  Well, have a good evening! :D

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 14, 2024, 10:56:02 PM
Quote from: aarons23 on June 14, 2024, 10:30:53 PM

Your post is so off the mark it's hilarious.  But you think you know who I am, what I believe etc. etc.  Well, have a good evening! :D

He may be wrong in who you are but it is pretty safe to say that you have no D1 coaching experience. The vast majority of your takes show your lack of knowledge. I agree, get on with your life!  You sound like a person who grew up in Iowa

wrestle03

Healthy and Happy - keep accepting mediocrity.  Bono's results speak for themself and he has FAILED.  As a reminder, go back to his press conference when he was hired and hear all the promises he made - not one of them has come to fruition.  He could probably talk you into believing the bag of cow manure he's holding is actually gold.  Get on with your life and keep accepting mediocrity and keep making excuses for the failure of this program.  :)

rankwizard

You all have to settle down. Yea UW isn't getting our top guns from the state-- we signed a WI wrestler who currently has the resume of a D3/D2 college wrestler. Can we do better? We sure can do better. Is WI doing okay? yea we are doing okay... but wanting better is not a bad thing. Askren would probably agree. 

The potential of where the team could be versus where the team currently is - that potential is off the charts.

Healthy and happy

Let me make myself clear, I never said I excepted mediocrity!!  What I am saying and what I know for a fact is that winning is not easy and should never be taken for granted. There are many factors that go into winning and finding that formula each year is hard work and flat out tough. I know for those of you who have competed at the highest level and know how hard it is to win, can relate with this.

This coaching staff have competed and won at the highest level and I am bet they want to win more than anyone that posts on this site. That is why I have confidence that with time, changing things up some, adapting to the new environment in college athletics, that they can reach their goals. You should never want to stop getting better.  Some just need to appreciate the process a little more

Ghetto

Quote from: wrestle03 on June 16, 2024, 10:52:07 AMHealthy and Happy - keep accepting mediocrity.  Bono's results speak for themself and he has FAILED.  As a reminder, go back to his press conference when he was hired and hear all the promises he made - not one of them has come to fruition.  He could probably talk you into believing the bag of cow manure he's holding is actually gold.  Get on with your life and keep accepting mediocrity and keep making excuses for the failure of this program.  :)

Go back and listen to any coach in any sport at any level, and all of them make promises.

Every. Last. One.

Let's be honest, the landscape of college wrestling (insert any sport, really) is about to change and it's simply all about money. Who can fundraise the most is going to win the most. This wrestling community isn't going to spend any money, so it needs to be ok with mediocrity.

If not, then the community needs to pony up.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Quote from: Ghetto on June 17, 2024, 05:41:07 PM
Quote from: wrestle03 on June 16, 2024, 10:52:07 AMHealthy and Happy - keep accepting mediocrity.  Bono's results speak for themself and he has FAILED.  As a reminder, go back to his press conference when he was hired and hear all the promises he made - not one of them has come to fruition.  He could probably talk you into believing the bag of cow manure he's holding is actually gold.  Get on with your life and keep accepting mediocrity and keep making excuses for the failure of this program.  :)

Go back and listen to any coach in any sport at any level, and all of them make promises.

Every. Last. One.

Let's be honest, the landscape of college wrestling (insert any sport, really) is about to change and it's simply all about money. Who can fundraise the most is going to win the most. This wrestling community isn't going to spend any money, so it needs to be ok with mediocrity.

Ghetto is right. The landscape of all college sport are going to change big time real quick. Whoever has the money will be the winners!

The Badgers wrestling hasn't been huge into fund raising and like Ghetto says they will need to or be middle of the road.

This is were Bono needed to be better at. He just plain and simple needs to be reaching out to every kid and coach in the state and tossing around likes on social media and getting people a little excited tha5 he is involved with all of Wisconsin wrestling. Being more active on social media if it is just a simple like, at least he tried.

We just had the sophmores be eligible to be recruited and some of the better ones went the weekend without contact from the staff while Minneaota, UNI and others reached out.

When Bono got her he claimed Wisconsin didn't have the studs to recruit but man look at the past few years, d1, d2 an d3 recruits have AA across the nation in various schools. Sure maybe some were not big ten wrestlers but many left with no comments tact from the staff. That is a major fail in promoting Wisco sin wrestling both in talent and money!

Askren is doing no help making Wisconsin top notch. Sure he is leading many kids to AA at other school but u til things changes on all fronts Wisconsin is middle of the pack.

I will cheer for Wisconsin and hopefully they will be competitive in 50% of thier duals and be tough outa at big tens and nationals!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

asdf

Quote from: Ghetto on June 17, 2024, 05:41:07 PM

Every. Last. One.

Blaming UW on being mediocre on the wrestling community not financially supporting them is absolute crap. Go look at past posts regarding funding of the RTC and UW financial support of the programs.  Sure they aren't PSU/OSU/IA, but they are financially supported better then most colleges and much better then their rankings/results show.  Especially going forward unless something changes.

Fundraising is a core component of the coaching staff, especially now. Maybe if the RTC actually did something to show for the $150,000/year they are getting in donations, they would actually get ex-donors like myself to return.  Go look at their ProPublica tax filings and tell me where the RTC $ is going, I'd love to know. 

I would have to go back, but I believe UW was around 15th ranked for financial support to the wrestling program in the nation by the school itself.  Get past the big 5 (and now David Taylor) and Bono/Reader are one of the highest paid coaches in d1 wrestling.  Beyond the "community pony up", I would love to hear how WI fans are at regarding Bono and UW's return on investment for his salary.

Look at the past posts. A slew of other schools are doing the same or better with so much less financial support.

WI has a deep history in wrestling.  WI has lots of excitement at the youth thru HS level in wrestling.  Now more then ever.  If Bono, et al can't capture that and turn it in $$, thats on them not the WI community.

Making phone calls costs nothing.  Meeting kids in state costs very little.  From past posters, sounds like that isn't happening.  Bo Bassett isn't coming to UW, but he will be going to one of the 36 schools that contacted him the first 2 days of recruit period.  He posted his list and UW was no where on there.  Little Rock, Harvard, and quite a few others at least made an effort.

hornbuckleb

Regardless of what has happend the short term outlook is not good.

Outside of the top 25 in recruiting, and tied with a ranking of 49th as a tournament team.

leg turk

Quote from: hornbuckleb on June 18, 2024, 11:13:17 AMRegardless of what has happend the short term outlook is not good.

Outside of the top 25 in recruiting, and tied with a ranking of 49th as a tournament team.

It's sad.
I bet the attendance numbers will really go downtown this year.

Tuco

Does anyone really know if the AD hasn't tried to improve the coaching?  Just maybe, the candidates interested are no better than Bono.

Ghetto is definitely correct on money.  The $150K mentioned by asdf is embarrassing to what other college boosters donate.  Many get more than that from a single booster annually.

Tuco

asdf

Quote from: Tuco on June 19, 2024, 02:02:59 PMDoes anyone really know if the AD hasn't tried to improve the coaching?  Just maybe, the candidates interested are no better than Bono.

Ghetto is definitely correct on money.  The $150K mentioned by asdf is embarrassing to what other college boosters donate.  Many get more than that from a single booster annually.

I actually went back and looked, my memory was way off.  Actually WI RTC revenue was $375,000 last year.  More then Nebraska and close to the same as them over the past 3 years overall.  Nebraska that was top 5 in nation, had James Green and Burroughs as RTC coaches. 

info is in this post:  https://forum.wiwrestling.com/index.php?topic=60560.0

WI is ranked 15th by revenue support by the University, close to same rank for RTC.  Take the biggies out of the pic, and WI is very competitive financially both to the RTC and by the school itself.

If Badgers wrestling is not getting big time individuals donors, that is on the coaching and administration staff in my opinion.  Google the history of Little Rock for a great example of successful fundraising.

Your link to WV Booster club shows one wrestling athlete as a sponsored NIL athlete (0-20 Blake Boyers per wrestlestat), so don't know your point in showing that.  FWIW--WVU actually had 1/2 the RTC revenue as WI last year, but with 2 AA's.  So if anything it shows to me yet another school outperforming WI with less $$.  Coach Flynn took over that program in 2018.  His first year they went 4-14 and were 43rd in the NCAA's.  They went 10-5 this year and placed 17th in NCAA, above WI. 

Tuco

My point being the trust is not run by the coaches, but by a separate leadership team.  They also have an advisory team.  They were shooting for a million dollar month in May, that seemed to me to be pretty impressive.