PSU/WI

Started by MNbadger, January 22, 2017, 01:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 28, 2017, 07:46:16 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on January 28, 2017, 07:39:14 PM
And who says you have a higher standard of opinion than anyone else?
Never said I do! I never questioned you or any of the delusionals on your credentials when it comes to your opinions. I disagree with almost everything you say, but I don't attack you guys like you do me.
You do every tell you say someone is delusional for having an opinion. You have no facts. Jordan and Medberry both didn't wrestle well and still found a way to win. That bodes well for end of season.

wrastle63

Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 28, 2017, 08:59:23 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on January 28, 2017, 08:19:10 PM
Never said I do! I never questioned you or any of the delusionals on your credentials when it comes to your opinions. I disagree with almost everything you say, but I don't attack you guys like you do me.
You do every tell you say someone is delusional for having an opinion. You have no facts. Jordan and Medberry both didn't wrestle well and still found a way to win. That bodes well for end of season.
My facts are the results and that speaks more than numbers. You admitting that Jordan and Medberry didn't wrestle well does not bode well for the end of the season. I assume you wrestled and are familiar with an opponent being stronger, faster, and more technical than you. If you got 2 guys who are pretty equal in ability, but the other is pushing his body to the limits in practices and matches, that guy will physically and mentally break that other guy. That is Penn State! Wisconsin guys go in survival mode instead of fight and this is a staff problem once again.
Well the result is a WIN for Jordan and Medberry. You have nothing but an opinion. I'll take the win when PSU people feel they both wrestled a good match against us and we wrestled bad yet still won.

hammen

My facts are the results and that speaks more than numbers. You admitting that Jordan and Medberry didn't wrestle well does not bode well for the end of the season. I assume you wrestled and are familiar with an opponent being stronger, faster, and more technical than you. If you got 2 guys who are pretty equal in ability, but the other is pushing his body to the limits in practices and matches, that guy will physically and mentally break that other guy. That is Penn State! Wisconsin guys go in survival mode instead of fight and this is a staff problem once again.

Says the guy who has been in a big ten wrestling room?

BuckyMatt

Eli Stickley broke his guy! Excited to see him progress over the next few years, he's exceeded my expectations for his Freshman year!

billymurphy

The Penn State wrestler at 133 has a record of 1 win- 9 losses.
I was very confident that Eli Stickley would win his match.
Beating Suriano, Nolf, Hall, Retherford or Nickal was not expected.

hammen

Quote from: billymurphy on January 29, 2017, 01:30:19 PM

To be fair the PSU 133 has had a tough schedule as of late. Lost to Clark via tech, lost 11-4 to DelVecchio of Rutgers, lost to Montoya via tech, lost to McKee 2-1, and now via tech to Stick.

Micah

Quote from: hammen on January 29, 2017, 02:02:02 PM
Quote from: billymurphy on January 29, 2017, 01:30:19 PM

To be fair the PSU 133 has had a tough schedule as of late. Lost to Clark via tech, lost 11-4 to DelVecchio of Rutgers, lost to Montoya via tech, lost to McKee 2-1, and now via tech to Stick.

PSU wrestled a Fr making his season debut against WI.  Tristan Law's first match of the year was against WI at 133.  Think they are trying to find something at that weight.

Huckfinn

Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 28, 2017, 08:59:23 PMthe other is pushing his body to the limits in practices and matches, that guy will physically and mentally break that other guy. That is Penn State! Wisconsin guys go in survival mode instead of fight and this is a staff problem once again.

Some individual wrestlers succeed with a high pace, attacking style.   Others succeed with tactics.    From my command center on the couch, I'm constantly calling for more of the former.  But maybe Medbery and Zeke know how to win better than me.

I do like Penn State's high pace.  But the real pace setters are uncoincidentally the guys with far superior talent.  Super-active Suriano suddenly went into "survival mode" as you call it when he faced Gillman.

I watch a ton of college wrestling.  I don't see WI turtling-up more than other teams of similar talent level.

I still say if Medbery would take the time to read my posts he could be a national champ. :D

Huckfinn

Quote from: Micah on January 29, 2017, 02:44:13 PM
PSU wrestled a Fr making his season debut against WI.  Tristan Law's first match of the year was against WI at 133.  Think they are trying to find something at that weight.

They have Kade Moss as  a backup at 41.   I remember in past years that kid was a super-sub who could fill-in and beat ranked wrestlers.  

Guilibon sorta still looks like a 133 pounder, but he is getting better and better wrestling at 141.  I wonder if Guilibon could be effective cutting down to 133.  

Poor Penn Sate and their "problems."  

MNbadger

"  But the real pace setters are uncoincidentally the guys with far superior talent."

This is the debate with some in regard to the Gophers.  They imagine Eggum is telling them not to shoot or attack.  They don't because they CAN'T. PSU has a top ten recruit at every weight with some as back ups.  Today against Purdue the comments are; "I like the attacking style" and things like that.  Yes, they are attacking because they CAN, .  Purdue is a lesser opponent. 
Quote from: Huckfinn on January 29, 2017, 03:07:51 PM
Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 28, 2017, 08:59:23 PMthe other is pushing his body to the limits in practices and matches, that guy will physically and mentally break that other guy. That is Penn State! Wisconsin guys go in survival mode instead of fight and this is a staff problem once again.

Some individual wrestlers succeed with a high pace, attacking style.   Others succeed with tactics.    From my command center on the couch, I'm constantly calling for more of the former.  But maybe Medbery and Zeke know how to win better than me.

I do like Penn State's high pace.  But the real pace setters are uncoincidentally the guys with far superior talent.  Super-active Suriano suddenly went into "survival mode" as you call it when he faced Gillman.

I watch a ton of college wrestling.  I don't see WI turtling-up more than other teams of similar talent level.

I still say if Medbery would take the time to read my posts he could be a national champ. :D
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Barou

Quote from: hammen on January 28, 2017, 11:04:20 PM

Says the guy who has been in a big ten wrestling room?

What a great forum it would be if the prerequisite was you had to be a big ten wrestler to participate....sheesh.  I disagree with knight about jj and ruschell dodging to protect the seed. Bd made the right decision there. Convenient for sure as both would have lost and probably gave up bonus points but there was no winning that dual. Many of his observations have merit and it is the statements of fact that usually get the bd supporters upset. He is right that uw will probably get shut out by psu next year. Sanderson is a better coach than bd in every way....recruiting, developing, social interaction, marketing his team, etc. many ways bd manages a program are questionable. It might be brought up on a uw forum.
JHI Mafia

Huckfinn

Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 29, 2017, 03:53:39 PM
Zain Releford is a perfect example of this. I think Collica and Mayes are more talented than him, but they get broke from his pace.

Whoah!  I'm afraid you jumped the shark here.   All three guys have amazing energy.   Did you see Collica and Mayes' amazing scoring fest Friday night?   Nobody in college wrestling is more talented than Zain Retherford, he's not just a guy of superior determination.

I don't completely disagree with you.  I do see cases where the Badgers need to be more active.   Ricky Robertson could have beaten McCutcheon with more aggression.   Medford executes beautifully when he decides to; his match with Nevills didn't need to be so close.

bigG

"I still say if Medbery would take the time to read my posts he could be a national champ. Cheesy"

I'll give you the bennie of the doubt and say that your posts have gotten him this far. Keep postin'!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

padre

Quote from: BuckyMatt on January 29, 2017, 11:33:20 AM
Eli Stickley broke his guy! Excited to see him progress over the next few years, he's exceeded my expectations for his Freshman year!

Plus 1

Huckfinn

ah hum.  Excuse the off topic interruption.

My man Jacob Kasper major decisioned Ty Walz today 15-7.

I'm telling you, this guy is a holy terror.  Walz has looked great the past month too.   The deal with Kasper is he keeps shooting late into the 3rd period; he's in better condition than anybody without an Olympic gold medal.

Maybe Medbery has too much size + athleticism for the Little Giant.  But I would rank Kasper the #2 HW in the country today based on what I've seen the past three weeks.