PSU/WI

Started by MNbadger, January 22, 2017, 01:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammen

Quote from: Huckfinn on January 29, 2017, 10:58:52 PM
ah hum.  Excuse the off topic interruption.

My man Jacob Kasper major decisioned Ty Walz today 15-7.

I'm telling you, this guy is a holy terror.  Walz has looked great the past month too.   The deal with Kasper is he keeps shooting late into the 3rd period; he's in better condition than anybody without an Olympic gold medal.

Maybe Medbery has too much size + athleticism for the Little Giant.  But I would rank Kasper the #2 HW in the country today based on what I've seen the past three weeks. 

Is this the same guy who was pinned by Ben Stone in the dual?

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: hammen on January 30, 2017, 05:37:39 AM
Quote from: Huckfinn on January 29, 2017, 10:58:52 PM
ah hum.  Excuse the off topic interruption.

My man Jacob Kasper major decisioned Ty Walz today 15-7.

I'm telling you, this guy is a holy terror.  Walz has looked great the past month too.   The deal with Kasper is he keeps shooting late into the 3rd period; he's in better condition than anybody without an Olympic gold medal.

Maybe Medbery has too much size + athleticism for the Little Giant.  But I would rank Kasper the #2 HW in the country today based on what I've seen the past three weeks. 

Is this a  rhetorical question?

Huckfinn

Yup.  Kasper is 20-1, that is his only loss. I didn't see it, but Stone caught him a minute into the match.

How big is Stone?  Kasper is a tiny HW and maybe is vulnerable to getting stuck. Another small HW who is crushing it this year is Austin Schafer. He moved up from 197 and is wrestling at a very fit 235 or 240. If you watch the Kasper-Schafer match from scuffle on Flo, you see that Kasper is smaller than Schafer.

wrastle63

Quote from: Huckfinn on January 30, 2017, 11:30:22 AM

Yup.  Kasper is 20-1, that is his only loss. I didn't see it, but Stone caught him a minute into the match.

How big is Stone?  Kasper is a tiny HW and maybe is vulnerable to getting stuck. Another small HW who is crushing it this year is Austin Schafer. He moved up from 197 and is wrestling at a very fit 235 or 240. If you watch the Kasper-Schafer match from scuffle on Flo, you see that Kasper is smaller than Schafer.
Stone is small as well. Kasper would arguably be the 4 seed still. His loss is way worse than Nevills loss to Medberry. Obviously season isn't over yet.

Huckfinn

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 30, 2017, 11:55:22 AM
Stone is small as well. Kasper would arguably be the 4 seed still. His loss is way worse than Nevills loss to Medberry. Obviously season isn't over yet.

I don't know how the seeding committee works.  But by this logic, a fluke pin early in the season would override everything he accomplishes the rest of the season.  I guess that's OK - seeding doesn't have to perfectly rank wrestlers.

I don't care a bit where Medbery gets seeded.  Whether Medbery faces Snyder in the finals or earlier doesn't matter a bit to me - that's just luck of the draw. Badgers aren't competitive in team race.  I want Medbery to upset Snyder and win a championship.  If not, 3rd place is actually a greater accomplishment than 2nd.  It takes more wins, and half the time the 3rd place finisher is better than the runner up.

bigoil

Quote from: Huckfinn on January 30, 2017, 11:30:22 AM

Huck, Kasper is 250 per his own words.

Huckfinn

Quote from: bigoil on January 30, 2017, 12:46:38 PM

He is nowhere close to 250.   He weighed in at scuffle at 220. If he said he was 250 on twitter, he was  pulling people's legs.   Look at his match with Austin Schafer. 

bigoil

Quote from: Huckfinn on January 30, 2017, 01:09:57 PM
Quote from: bigoil on January 30, 2017, 12:46:38 PM

He is nowhere close to 250.   He weighed in at scuffle at 220. If he said he was 250 on twitter, he was  pulling people's legs.   Look at his match with Austin Schafer. 

@5PtMove haha actually 230 sorry bad joke, thank you #GrowGreco #GoGreco

Sorry he later corrected the 250, in another post he said he was 6'3" 225#

Huckfinn

OK, it's possible he is 225 or 230, the announcer at scuffle could be wrong.

He competed last summer at 215, same weight as Kyle Snyder.

BTW, I don't think Kasper is a GREAT wrestler, I mean just skills-wise.   I did not expect him to beat Ty Walz.   Medberry is a more skillful guy - I compare Medberry to Gwiz from last season.  I don't think Kasper has a prayer against Snyder because he has no edge against a more skillful, fellow tazmanian devil.

Kasper is a phenomena because he seems to be doing it on pure grit and determination.   I mean, obviously he is a good wrestler, and with the extra greco skills.   He was leading Ty Walz by only one point going into the third yesterday.   Kasper seems to be beating everybody in the third period, he really digs down and turns on offense late in matches.

Barou

[/quote]

If not, 3rd place is actually a greater accomplishment than 2nd.  It takes more wins, and half the time the 3rd place finisher is better than the runner up.
[/quote]

Really?
JHI Mafia

MNbadger

I agree Barou, I know of no one else who thinks third place is better than second or that the third place wrestlers is usually better than the second place wrestler.
Quote from: Barou on January 30, 2017, 02:37:02 PM

If not, 3rd place is actually a greater accomplishment than 2nd.  It takes more wins, and half the time the 3rd place finisher is better than the runner up.
[/quote]

Really?
[/quote]
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on January 30, 2017, 02:49:02 PM
I agree Barou, I know of no one else who thinks third place is better than second or that the third place wrestlers is usually better than the second place wrestler.

Really?
[/quote]
[/quote]
Lol I will take 2nd of 3rd any day of the week.

Huckfinn

I agree Barou, I know of no one else who thinks third place is better than second or that the third place wrestlers is usually better than the second place wrestler

Well now you met one!     You're expanding your horizons.  Although I didn't say the 3rd place guy is usually better.   It is a greater accomplishment.

Taking third place often means a long series of wins against high quality opponents in the consolation bracket.     If you really want to determine who is the second best wrestler, you'd need to have a wrestle off between the #2 finisher and #3 guy in the event they didn't face each other.

Seeding is very imperfect.   The best wrestler does not always triumph in a given match.   There are lots of guys who make to round of 12, but miss out on an AA finish where lesser wrestlers advance.  Inferior wrestlers advance because they were luckier in matchups in the round of 12.

The 2nd place finisher won 4 matches.  The 3rd place winner typically won more, sometimes many more.  I remember when AJ Schopp lost in first round, wrestled back with 8 wins to take third.  

If you re-ran the NCAA tournament a week later, the podium would look very different.    There are usually a group of about 12 wrestlers who have a shot to AA, and many matches are tossups.  

Jimmy

U said half the time he is better huck .any stats to verify? Besides I thought the object was to win.

npope

Really?

[/quote]

I know a lot of third placers that think they are better than the second placer ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope