Best to Never Win a State Title

Started by wrestlingislife_189, February 24, 2015, 05:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 24, 2015, 10:45:33 PM
Quote from: hammer on February 24, 2015, 10:38:51 PM
Was there a kid from up north that was a 3 time finalist in the late 80's that was just a beast but never won it? It was a lighter weight but I remember as a youth he was one tough wrestlers that his style just wasnt the in thing in Madison at that time.

Colin Cudd was pretty darn good never to win a title. Boy I remember hearing about those sectionals and regionals up there with Luke Smith, Colin Cudd and the Crasses. I think those names would meet a few times a year in conference and tournaments.

Not sure but the only name I can remember from the up north area at that time that was a 3X finalist was Rob Trunkel but he won it in 87 at 105. So he did win it one year.

That would be the one. Thanks for helping me on that memory.

littleguy301

Quote from: Street Glide on February 24, 2015, 02:01:18 PM
Jon Lantz Ellsworth, and Fester Frandsen Ellsworth.  There sons did help pick up the slack though. 😄😄😄😄

Glad you didnt mention conference on that, you might have gotten someone a little riled up ;)

actually I would have loved to see both those 2 parents in the day match up with their sons in their day. That would have been fun.

Side Note: I would guess that it has happened at some time in their respective houses but not on the match. Gosh someone has to have a Hot Tub Time Machine out there ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Street Glide

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 24, 2015, 10:51:22 PM
Quote from: Street Glide on February 24, 2015, 02:01:18 PM
Jon Lantz Ellsworth, and Fester Frandsen Ellsworth.  There sons did help pick up the slack though. 😄😄😄😄

Glad you didnt mention conference on that, you might have gotten someone a little riled up ;)

actually I would have loved to see both those 2 parents in the day match up with their sons in their day. That would have been fun.

Side Note: I would guess that it has happened at some time in their respective houses but not on the match. Gosh someone has to have a Hot Tub Time Machine out there ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Absolutely no question about it, the sons easily tech them.  I've discussed this many times with them and of course they disagree.  Festers reasoning is "we had stuff too".

TLV

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 24, 2015, 10:31:57 PM
Scott Hilton of Clear Lake, back in the early 70's was undeated for 4 years going into state and lost 5 matches at state. He placed 4th as a junior? and every other year lost a match with no wrestle back.

He went on to a long career of reffing in the north west part of the state.

How about that for some history?

Just who I was thinking about! Took 4th his senior year. I was working the tourney that year and talked to him before the final match and he was just so pleased and grateful to be able to place after 3 years of getting to state and not placing.
Others that come to mind: John Peterson.....3rd in Sectional and Pat Christianson who was the same; Ben Peterson who was second in state and Pat Kapla from Pulaski went to state as Fresh and Soph, was injured in Sectionals(which he won) this junior year and was ranked #1 and did not go to state and took 3rd his senior year. Tal Coppenger of Rhinelanderwho went to State as Soph and was ranked #1 in state as Senior and was a pinning machine, was upset and did not place. Another Rhinelander kid, Kevin Wilmont was #1 ranked as Senior  having gone down state the previous 2 years, was upset in semis of Sectional by guy whom he had beaten badly; he walked on to UW and was Big10 champ and place 4th in NCAAs in 1997.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

HMsDad

Shawn Smith Chippewa Falls 4x qualifier. Took 2,DNP,3rd and 5th with a career record according to the old programs of 135-11.

Dale Einerson

Kensbud76

Scott Hilton of Clear Lake, back in the early 70's was undeated for 4 years going into state and lost 5 matches at state. He placed 4th as a junior? and every other year lost a match with no wrestle back.

Yes...Thanks...I now feel like the train wreck I was after wrestling Mr. Hilton my freshman year..

npope

Scott was certainly something special in high school - really unusual to get to state four times back in the single-class day. That said, while the legend is that he was undefeated all four years, he actually had a loss and two ties prior to state his freshman year at 105 (http://www.rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1971_files/105%20lbs.jpg). Still, awfully impressive career.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Fabulous Falcons

Quote from: Fabulous Falcons on February 24, 2015, 12:17:39 PM
Rick Gruber from Campbellsport (one of my all-time favorite Wisconsin wrestlers) slender and lightening quick. . . lost two state championships to Chuck Curwick of  Waunakee in 1979 – 112, and 1980 Division B – 119. Many people that never saw him wrestle have no idea just how good he was. . .would loved to have seen him face Jens Lantz from Ellsworth.

I've seen most of the wrestlers in this thread wrestle and I'm still not convinced. . . perhaps Coach Mark Peterson from Campbellsport can put some video into this thread of Rick.  Coach Peterson was the assistant coach when Rick wrestled in high schoool. Interesting note, Rick had a pre-wrestling ritual in which he made the sign of the cross and slapped the mat before he would begin to wrestle in the first period. 

http://www.uwoshkoshtitans.com/sports/wrest/2011-12/releases/alltime

Former UW-Oshkosh standout Rick Gruber has been named one of the 26 members on the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC) All-Time Wrestling Team.

Gruber (Campbellsport • Campbellsport High School) won 91 percent of his matches during a UW-Oshkosh career that spanned from 1981-84. While posting four NCAA Division III All-America finishes, Gruber led UW-Oshkosh to its lone WIAC title in 1982. Gruber compiled a 131-13 career record and won at least 32 matches every season. He placed fourth at the NCAA Division III Championship in 1981, second in 1982, third in 1983 and fifth in 1984.

Gruber posted a 32-3 record in 1981 and captured the first of four straight WIAC championships at 118 pounds. In 1982, Gruber won 32 consecutive matches en route to a 32-1 record. Gruber then compiled records of 33-3 in 1983 and 34-6 in 1984.

http://www.wwca.org/page/show/1507251-gerald-a-marking

Campbellsport's most recognized wrestler in college was Rick Gruber, who was University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh's first 4 time All-American.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19830217&id=XGgaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4ykEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5423,4006750

and Rick Gruber, a junior from Campbellsport, won at 118 for the third straight year and could join Whitewater's Tim Carmin and the only four-time WSUC champion next year.
Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

littleguy301

Quote from: npope on February 25, 2015, 01:34:47 PM

Scott was certainly something special in high school - really unusual to get to state four times back in the single-class day. That said, while the legend is that he was undefeated all four years, he actually had a loss and two ties prior to state his freshman year at 105 (http://www.rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1971_files/105%20lbs.jpg). Still, awfully impressive career.

how does Herb Cruz get to 28 and 0 when he came into state with a 23-0 record. I see he wrestled 4 matches at state but...........
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ty Clark

Quote from: ankle pick on February 24, 2015, 08:43:40 PM
Jarod Donar- Cuba City,  Cal Jensen- River Valley,  Brad Moore- Lancaster.

This post confuses me...
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

crossface21

Matt Pope, Racine Park/Horlick. 142-10. DNP, 3rd, 3rd, 5th. Lost to Kevin Black 2x in the semi's sophomore and junior years, and lost to Cudd in the quarters senior year.

veto

Anyone ever hear of Fred McGaver. Successful college wrestler, Olympic alternate to Bruce Baumgartner (one of the all-time  greatest US wrestlers) Fred is one of a few people to ever beat  Bruce.

Manty77

Quote from: veto on February 25, 2015, 02:45:34 PM
Anyone ever hear of Fred McGaver. Successful college wrestler, Olympic alternate to Bruce Baumgartner (one of the all-time  greatest US wrestlers) Fred is one of a few people to ever beat  Bruce.
Yes, he comes to the Badger Steak Fry fundraiser every year.  Nice guy with GREAT stories.

npope

Quote from: crossface21 on February 25, 2015, 02:37:57 PM
Matt Pope, Racine Park/Horlick. 142-10. DNP, 3rd, 3rd, 5th. Lost to Kevin Black 2x in the semi's sophomore and junior years, and lost to Cudd in the quarters senior year.

There's a reason to hate River Falls.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope