Best to Never Win a State Title

Started by wrestlingislife_189, February 24, 2015, 05:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheasant 1984

Brady Webb from Spring Valley and Evan Peissig was very good too I was told! Saw Brady wrestle but not Evan.
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!

wrestle84

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 24, 2015, 07:25:01 AM
Best to never win state... because they are very good at Greco?

Isn't state folkstyle? So shouldn't it be best folkstyle wrestler to never win state?

Shouldn't be based on what they did in HS not what they did years after?

Root was what a 3 time finalist and beat the eventual state champion 3 years IN A ROW just a week before. He lost about 5 matches in his career, 3 of those being in the state final, 2 of those to a person he beat the week before. In modern times... 1990 and up I think he is the best.

Provisor was a good folkstyle wrestler but far from elite, not like he crushed people for 4 years but just came up a match short 2-3 times. Provisor is a great Greco wrestler, if that qualifies him to be the best HS folkstyle wrestler to never win state.... I guess.

Without looking I would guess Root had the highest career win %
I would guess he is also the only person to beat that year champ 3 years in a row only a week earlier.
He is probably also the only one to go 2-3-2-2 or better.

I agree, it is the best high school wrestler not to win, not the best career after high school.

wrestle84

Quote from: wrestling135 on February 24, 2015, 09:26:03 AM
Not saying he is the best but Cullen Morrisey was a good one. 3x runner up to Grant Sutter and senior year fell to Zach Zainer

+1

bucking it up

Collin Cudd's got to be close to the top, if not on top of the list. 2,DNQ,2,2. Went onto to be a 4 time NCAA qualifier. When he graduated from the U of W he was on a short list of (4) time qualifiers that were seniors that year. Simmons, Escobado, etc.

BayWrestler07

Cullan Morrissey Oconto Falls I believe he was a 3X finalist and took 3rd as a Jr.

Manty77

Quote from: wrestle84 on February 24, 2015, 09:57:04 AM

Isn't state folkstyle? So shouldn't it be best folkstyle wrestler to never win state?

Root was what a 3 time finalist and beat the eventual state champion 3 years IN A ROW just a week before. He lost about 5 matches in his career, 3 of those being in the state final, 2 of those to a person he beat the week before. In modern times... 1990 and up I think he is the best.

Provisor was a good folkstyle wrestler but far from elite, not like he crushed people for 4 years but just came up a match short 2-3 times. Provisor is a great Greco wrestler, if that qualifies him to be the best HS folkstyle wrestler to never win state.... I guess.

I would guess he is also the only person to beat that year champ 3 years in a row only a week earlier.

I agree, it is the best high school wrestler not to win, not the best career after high school.
The original poster asked "Who were some of the great Wisconsin wrestlers to never win that elusive state title?".  He did not specify "the best high school wrestler not to win, not the best career after high school."

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Manty77 on February 24, 2015, 10:18:55 AM
Quote from: wrestle84 on February 24, 2015, 09:57:04 AM

The original poster asked "Who were some of the great Wisconsin wrestlers to never win that elusive state title?".  He did not specify "the best high school wrestler not to win, not the best career after high school."

Someone that went 5-3-DNP-3 is on the same list as someone that went 2-3-2-2 because one had success after HS in a different style of wrestling? I guess without any criteria being laid out then anything is possible. I guess that is like saying Emmit Smith is the best college RB of all time because he set all time record for yards and won multiple titles with the Cowboys.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

hasbeen

I'd have to go with Brandon Garcia. 3x finalist. He had to be the closest - on his way to an easy victory in the finals senior year before the DQ for a slam.

nutman

I'm also wondering back in the day with the old qualifying rules at sectionals when wrestlers lost a first round match and then were done with no chance of a wrestleback period.

harley

Morrisey 175-7 .961
Root 175-8 .956

whatever

"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Han Solo

Derek Olson has to be considered.  Hurt his senior year.  4th as a freshman and 2nd his sophomore and junior years. 
Never tell me the odds!

OneEyedFatMan

Actually, Provisor DID crush just about everyone his senior year ( 2009) and was the prohibitive favorite to win the 170 lb weight class.
Unfortunately for Ben, he clammed up in his match vs Kessler from Elkhorn in the semis and lost by a point or two. Kessler did hit a super nice far knee
block for the winning TD.
Then, Kessler didn't score an offensive point in the finals and lost.

"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

Kodonnelllaw

Anybody know where I can find the HS career records of people? I saw Gundrum is at 186 (with no State Title)....

Ty Clark

Collin Cudd will always get my vote on this one.
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain