Are wrestling schools hurting teams?

Started by missinghome, January 20, 2014, 03:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: harley on January 22, 2014, 01:58:47 PM
Quote from: ramjet on January 22, 2014, 01:09:17 PM
In small schools most athletes will be 3 sport athletes my son was Football, Wrestling and Golf.

In fact I cannot think of any of the wrestlers in our rooms that were not.

Golf was always a crap shoot with weather so days no Golf practice because of 6" of snow he went to Greco practice.

Yes there are exceptional athletes that have the right path and make it to State without off season practice but most the top ranked wrestlers in this State do some off season work or camps.

Harley are you advocating that or just saying?

I advocate whatever works for each individual. All I am saying is it can be done without wrestling year round. I really have no skin in this one way or the other. I personally enjoyed my son in 3 sports through out high school as well as a member of the local water ski show all summer.

[/

I would dare to say most D2-3 schools kids are not one sport athletes.

Coleman two years ago and Edgar had some very strong football and baseball teams mNy of the athletes did all three sports.

ramjet

Quote from: HMsDad on January 22, 2014, 02:39:42 PM
That changes it to 18 out of 48.
Quote from: aarons23 on January 22, 2014, 02:34:37 PM
I would consider LAW a wrestling school because they draw from many communities, even Minnesota.

No offense but Youth State is poor example.

How does SR High look?

HMsDad

Quote from: ramjet on January 22, 2014, 02:46:49 PM
Quote from: HMsDad on January 22, 2014, 02:39:42 PM
That changes it to 18 out of 48.
Quote from: aarons23 on January 22, 2014, 02:34:37 PM
I would consider LAW a wrestling school because they draw from many communities, even Minnesota.

No offense but Youth State is poor example.

How does SR High look?
I just did youth because it is easier to see by what they list as team. HS only puts school name.

harley

Quote from: Houndhead on January 22, 2014, 02:41:42 PM
Quote from: harley on January 22, 2014, 11:32:11 AM
There are no wrestling schools in this neck of the woods. Maybe this is not the norm, but a have seen a few 3 sport athletes that have won State titles and some multiple State Titles with little to NO off season wrestling.

Just thought I would throw that out there

I think you are forgetting about one school not too far from you.

Northern Exposure?? Yes they do a great job, they do not go year round and go once or twice a week for a few months. Very good program though!!!

Hand Control

Quote from: Ghetto on January 20, 2014, 10:19:00 PM
I do not think wrestling schools hurt wrestling in the manner that we are polarizing kids towards extremes.

My issue is remembering who you wrestle for. I'll be honest, if one of my kids goes to a tournament, and they sign up as wrestling for AWA or Ringers, and not Whitefish Bay, it bothers me. I have no delusions that I know more then Ben or Max, or Schmitz or D'Alie, but for four months out of the year I put their happiness before my own, and my kids. I do it for dang near free. I feel like I've earned the right to have our name out there on track wrestling.

I guess you can get caught in a bad way with this also ,as I have. I signed my kid up for his home school ,you know where he goes to school. After doing this I had some club parents ask me why I chose to do this after talking to them about it the subject died out ,so I thought. Last night at club practice I was told ,by one of the coaches , that I had to sign my kid up for club ,or stop bringing my kid up to club practice. I understand both sides to this ,the coaches at club do not so while he is finishing up his club days I'll be signing my kid up for his club. Hopefully this will be a bend but not break solution to a situation that I didn't think was a big deal. This is a club where our family has made friends with a lot of nice people.

maggie

I can understand Ghettos feelings and though on this, but there's a quick fix to that, simply mentioning the school first followed by the club name in smaller font if Wanted. ;)..a few years back a good friend was the head coach at a very large school, he had 4 or 5 wrestlers make the state meet that year an one made the finals. During the afternoon on sat. The parent of the wrestler who was to wrestle that night in the finals approached him and Told him he wanted his personal trainer to be sitting in the corner with him that night instead of his asst. coach..ya, that went over like a ton of bricks..the response given back by the coach was a simple, Straight up... );(/-you!...what Brad, Ben,Max and the rest of these men do for these young wrestlers is simply terrific! But I also believe they know their place as far as the high season goes...PS. This was not the trainers idea...it was a pushed agenda by the kids father and bad feelings did follow...bottom line is, if ya want to be a better wrestler and in that top % of wrestlers in the state ...get to a club, the result don't lie... :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Hand Control

Maggie Thanks for the idea ,but I will just go back to signing the kid back up under club. The high road will hopefully help and hopefully back to not being a big deal.
P.S. Good luck to your Milton wrestlers in the up and coming weeks.

ChargerDad

My kid belongs to the club that bears the name of his school.  That's his club.   We also pay for him to go to one of the wrestling schools..  We sign up for every tournament with the school name even if we are the only one from the club going.  Admittedly, we have a very strong club with an excellent coach, and I can't say with 100% certainty what we would do if that's not the case, but in the situation we are in, I want my kid to be proud if the community for which he wrestles more than the name of a great wrestling school that we also happen to attend:-)

imnofish

I just got this image of a bunch of kids at state wearing warmups with the word "FESTER" on them.   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Street Glide

Quote from: imnofish on February 11, 2014, 10:58:34 AM
I just got this image of a bunch of kids at state wearing warmups with the word "FESTER" on them.   ;D

Considering their at State would explain the benefits of the training regiment at Fester U.  Should be noted too that many of these warm ups do have a warning label saying " Do Not Try This At Home "

littleguy301

Quote from: Street Glide on February 11, 2014, 11:14:41 AM
Quote from: imnofish on February 11, 2014, 10:58:34 AM

Considering their at State would explain the benefits of the training regiment at Fester U.  Should be noted too that many of these warm ups do have a warning label saying " Do Not Try This At Home "

I need to get one of those shirts for my son. He wants one and would be proud to wear it under his schools sweat shirt ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Jim Rockford

From my personal experience as a wrestler I did go to a school of wrestling and it did wonders for me.  I got to wrestle with the best kids in the state that were around that area.  It pushed kids to get better by having these great work out partners and the technique that is being showed is also great.  Kids who put in the extra work will go far in the sport.  This is why our sport is great because it shows people who has been working hard and who hasn't, and for the person asking if this hurts high school programs or the youth I would disagree.  If you have a kid who is putting in the extra work and is gaining success many of the other kids in the program will look up to that individual and also want to put in extra work.  I think it helps the program because you have a kid who is pushing his team to be better by having a good work ethic and is helping the other kids becoming better by being a good partner for them to wrestle with during practice.

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: 3wrestle on February 11, 2014, 12:49:58 PM
Our sons go to a club where if you wrestle local/ state level tourn. you write your school down. At national tourn. we write the club name. Some club members at the high school level at nationals write the school name down. Coaches still coach no hard feelings between anyone.

I think that last part is the key. Let's be adults in the situations and focus on what both the HS and the wrestling club should be doing...making these youngsters better wrestlers.

DocWrestling

Club coaches get paid much more than HS coaches per hour and don't have half the hassles of grades and physicals and don't have to deal with all the issues of the other athletes that are not as committed, etc.

HS coaches like to have some pride in the few wrestlers they have that do compete outside of the HS season and do well as it helps validate all their hard work and makes it worth it in a sense as well as promoting their program.  HS wrestling coaches have a lot to deal with with athletes, parents, and administrators and they put in an inordinate amount of time so put a smile on their faces by putting down your hometown high school as your team.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

ramjet

Doc, I just do not even believe that you are bringing up coaches pay on this thread that is ridiculous and totally out of line.

For crying out loud this is so simple..............

During the School Year while wrestling for your school that is the name they use period.

In the off season if they compete in an off season Tournament then use whatever name you want....at that point the rules laid out by the WIAA may be in violation if they are wrestling for their school? Plus when they train with that "other" team they should be part of that "other" team. Plus how many of these High School Coaches other than few obvious ones put the extra time in for Greco and FS in the off season or run off season camps or practices? Well first off as I mentioned they are limited by the WIAA and secondly those who do open it for everyone from all over the area to circumvent the stupid WIAA rules then that group becomes a team by another name.

Pride and all that is understandable you have the choice but do not force your choice onto someone else.

I can tell you all the so called "Wrestling Schools" my son attended the coaches NEVER required or said that he should give them a plug. NOT ONE.........well except for the National Greco Team. Then it was Team Wisconsin I hope the local school was not mad at him for writing down Wisconsin instead of...................... ::)

Much ado about nothing extra work and commitment for offseason Wrestling makes the wrestlers better in 99% of the cases and those who are great without then so be it. But sod not try put down or find areason to complain because they are working extra hard or putting in the extra time.