Are wrestling schools hurting teams?

Started by missinghome, January 20, 2014, 03:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handsandtoes

Interesting question. And a lot of interesting comments. As far as price there is a lot more overlooked than just the cost of the school. When the level gets high enough to go to a school you more then likely are now doing National tournaments and a lot off season wrestling. start adding that up once. Why don't one of you wrestling junkies look up all the high school (or even youth) state champs from last year. bet you will have a hard time finding very many that don't go to wrestling schools. 

imnofish

Quote from: Big House on January 21, 2014, 03:14:39 PM
Quote from: imnofish on January 21, 2014, 11:33:14 AM
Quote from: ramjet on January 21, 2014, 11:21:00 AM
Quote from: Big House on January 21, 2014, 11:17:30 AM
Maybe I should start advertising my elite school ... The Big House School of Wrestling!

We have a statement in our brochure guaranteeing a state title or your money back.

That would make you unique.

...and guarantee financial deficits for your school.    ;D

I was thinking of hiring you too ... maybe not after that remark!

$20,000 for the season and I GUARANTEE a state title.  There's 42 state champs in Wisconsin ... I'll bet I could at least get 3-4 of them from my elite team.  I'll make enough to teach the others for free!  

Well, since you put it that way....     :-*
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Not bad. Where I live wrestlers who wish to excel young go to our youth program and some go to LAW for more. Some kids live for wrestling and I'm happy as a clam to get LAW kids. Better partners, better wrestling.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

OneEyedFatMan

Certainly beneficial to many kids, some kids are there because parents stick them there.

I know this example is an anomaly, but here goes...

I do a fair amount of mentor-coaching, because I'm not in the school system.
Fairly recently, I spent 3 years with a certain young man who didn't want to spend the resources ( nor did his folks) on the local wrestling club. He was, however, willing to sacrifice his starting fullback position on a state play-off bound team to get in the best shape of his life. So, upon my advice, he ran XC his last two years of high school, and grew a gas tank of biblical proportion. He also ran track in the spring, and biked all summer.

However, he bucked technical sound advice til he got to the state tournament, wherein he finally let go of the deep underhook, went to the elbow instead, and took his outstanding semi-final opponent down with a high crotch in OT sudden death to make the finals. He also won in OT sudden death in the finals. His quarterfinal match was won with a last second elbow-tie ducking high crotch in regulation.

His final opponent remarked to this young man while waiting for the medals " how can I go to my club practice year round and still not win the state championship" or something to that like. It was an incredible bracket as it was...but the youngster who sacrificed the most came out on top.

I realize this is the exception rather than the rule, but here is proof that more isn't necessarily best. Belief + preparation ( and the good fortune not to catch a cold or flu come tournament time) goes a long way.

That belief part is huge, in my humble opinion. I also believe that, with a great front headlock, a young person can win state.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

ramjet

That is great analogy but the common thread to wining is sacrifice hard work and commitment. I really have no issue on how you make those things happen; private lessons, open gym or even working out with buddies in a barn but it stands to reason you want to get better you have to put in the time. Maybe I should say the extra time.

I would be curious to see some stats as to the number of State Qualifiers and the amount of off season work they do?

harley

There are no wrestling schools in this neck of the woods. Maybe this is not the norm, but a have seen a few 3 sport athletes that have won State titles and some multiple State Titles with little to NO off season wrestling.

Just thought I would throw that out there

Big House

I'd rather see a kid in three sports than just one all year round ... just my two cents.
People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

ramjet

In small schools most athletes will be 3 sport athletes my son was Football, Wrestling and Golf.

In fact I cannot think of any of the wrestlers in our rooms that were not.

Golf was always a crap shoot with weather so days no Golf practice because of 6" of snow he went to Greco practice.

Yes there are exceptional athletes that have the right path and make it to State without off season practice but most the top ranked wrestlers in this State do some off season work or camps.

Harley are you advocating that or just saying?

harley

Quote from: ramjet on January 22, 2014, 01:09:17 PM
In small schools most athletes will be 3 sport athletes my son was Football, Wrestling and Golf.

In fact I cannot think of any of the wrestlers in our rooms that were not.

Golf was always a crap shoot with weather so days no Golf practice because of 6" of snow he went to Greco practice.

Yes there are exceptional athletes that have the right path and make it to State without off season practice but most the top ranked wrestlers in this State do some off season work or camps.

Harley are you advocating that or just saying?

I advocate whatever works for each individual. All I am saying is it can be done without wrestling year round. I really have no skin in this one way or the other. I personally enjoyed my son in 3 sports through out high school as well as a member of the local water ski show all summer.

Big House

Harley has no choice ... there are no ultimate elite super schools near him.
People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

NWIS1

Quote from: Big House on January 22, 2014, 02:02:01 PM
Harley has no choice ... there are no ultimate elite super schools near him.

C/PF meets that criteria!
What about the "Big House School of Wrestling"?

HMsDad

Quote from: handsandtoes on January 21, 2014, 04:01:48 PM
Interesting question. And a lot of interesting comments. As far as price there is a lot more overlooked than just the cost of the school. When the level gets high enough to go to a school you more then likely are now doing National tournaments and a lot off season wrestling. start adding that up once. Why don't one of you wrestling junkies look up all the high school (or even youth) state champs from last year. bet you will have a hard time finding very many that don't go to wrestling schools.  
I looked at the two oldest groups in youth state. By what I come up with just by what is listed as their club/team name plus kids I know that go to wrestling schools. It looks like 14 out of the 48 bracket winners were wrestling school kids. I don't know all wrestling school names in the state so I may have missed a few. Most time you can tell by the team name. Example LAW I didn't consider a wrestling school. Also not all parents put the wrestling school a lot put their hometown.

aarons23

I would consider LAW a wrestling school because they draw from many communities, even Minnesota.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

HMsDad

That changes it to 18 out of 48.
Quote from: aarons23 on January 22, 2014, 02:34:37 PM
I would consider LAW a wrestling school because they draw from many communities, even Minnesota.

Houndhead

Quote from: harley on January 22, 2014, 11:32:11 AM
There are no wrestling schools in this neck of the woods. Maybe this is not the norm, but a have seen a few 3 sport athletes that have won State titles and some multiple State Titles with little to NO off season wrestling.

Just thought I would throw that out there

I think you are forgetting about one school not too far from you.