Are wrestling schools hurting teams?

Started by missinghome, January 20, 2014, 03:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 12, 2014, 12:19:42 PM
Quote from: ramjet on February 12, 2014, 08:53:48 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 11, 2014, 09:11:50 PM
Quote from: ramjet on February 11, 2014, 03:27:03 PM
Doc, I just do not even believe that you are bringing up coaches pay on this thread that is ridiculous and totally out of line.

For crying out loud this is so simple..............

During the School Year while wrestling for your school that is the name they use period.

In the off season if they compete in an off season Tournament then use whatever name you want....at that point the rules laid out by the WIAA may be in violation if they are wrestling for their school? Plus when they train with that "other" team they should be part of that "other" team. Plus how many of these High School Coaches other than few obvious ones put the extra time in for Greco and FS in the off season or run off season camps or practices? Well first off as I mentioned they are limited by the WIAA and secondly those who do open it for everyone from all over the area to circumvent the stupid WIAA rules then that group becomes a team by another name.

Pride and all that is understandable you have the choice but do not force your choice onto someone else.

I can tell you all the so called "Wrestling Schools" my son attended the coaches NEVER required or said that he should give them a plug. NOT ONE.........well except for the National Greco Team. Then it was Team Wisconsin I hope the local school was not mad at him for writing down Wisconsin instead of...................... ::)

Much ado about nothing extra work and commitment for offseason Wrestling makes the wrestlers better in 99% of the cases and those who are great without then so be it. But sod not try put down or find areason to complain because they are working extra hard or putting in the extra time.

I like your thought but the problem is that there are a few clubs that demand you wrestle under the clubs name like someone posted earlier. I should say, wrestle for our club or your out.

I find that kind of sad. I do think that most coaches are in this to make the wrestlers better and should work together to get the most out of the wrestlers, not working against each other and fighting over kids.

I am all for wrestling schools, great chance to wrestler more and get great partners. I think that is win/win for all involved.

LG name these school that do that I am curious as to who they are.

Plus they look at these forums and I actually think that is heresay. If the kids acts that way it not taught at these schools if it is lets get it out out in the open so they can respond.

I think in the off season some clubs might want kids to use the club name thats OK but I have NEVER heard of one that says the kid has to use the Clubs name during the season not once so I an curious as to who these clubs are? In fact specifically heard one coach of club say he could care less who put down at Greco State and FS.

I am not going to sit back and blast away about stories from parents around the way.

Most of the problems are over regionals. I havent heard many problems about Greco and Freestyle because most public schools dont offer that and they have to go to outside clubs for that.

I think most of the problems come from the time of regionals where some public schools are still having middle school wrestling and the wrestlers are wrestling for another school during that time.

I would also think that if that school is WIAA then you might have some code issues also.

Once again I am for outside help and I encourage it from my stand point also. I think the main problem is communication between the clubs and school coaches.

I think your first sentence says it all. Stories from Parents........... ;D

ramjet

Quote from: 3wrestle on February 12, 2014, 11:01:46 AM
Quote from: ramjet on February 12, 2014, 09:41:17 AM
Quote from: 3wrestle on February 12, 2014, 09:29:33 AM
If I remember correctly someone a page or so back stated he was told by a club coach to write the club down or stop coming.

Then name the CLUB I bet it is a misinterpretation and that may have been for offseason competition not during the High School year, again, without specific names and the right for that Club Coach to defend themselves it is speculation.

Why do people want to put down opportunities that hard working kids want to pursue to get better, because their kid may not want too?

Again the Wrestling Schools do not wave their hand over the wrestler and make them a State Champion it takes allot of work. Work they obviously are NOT getting in the High School Room or they would not pay to get that somewhere else.

What is getting me reeved up is this thread and some folks come across like this; Not all kids can work so hard or want to work so hard to be as good as those who do, so we should make everyone the same level so no one gets their feeling hurt by loosing . In other words the wins and State Titles should just be handed out to everyone. Participation medals................. ::)
It would be another poster that stated info about his club. You would have to ask him if he is willing to name his kids club.

Our son has worked hard for everything he has earned. Each success and failure is shared by his High School coach, his club coaches, his school teammates and his club teammates. It is a team effort. One is not more important than the other. Each adds to our sons wrestling experience.
We originally started taking him to club practice for the variety of practice partners not the coaches. Now as he is older our son has brought technique he has learned at club practice back to the HS room.

Many years ago we had many dad/coaches that put many hours into coaching the kids from the time they were in kindergarten and those same dad/coaches today take pride in all the volunteer hours they put into those kids and enjoy the successes they are having now. We are thankful for the time they volunteered it is back then that our sons love of the sport began.

We are on the same page.

ramjet

Quote from: picklesnthings on February 12, 2014, 11:11:37 AM
If you are questioning whether wrestling schools are hurting teams - just throwing this out there - what about clubs? i am all for them - but let me explain.  Our junior high wrestling season is just starting next week - it is the way our conference is set up.  The past five years we have probably only had 10-12 wrestlers (7th/8th grade) each year.  I couldn't figure out why so many good athletes were not giving wrestling a try, especially football players.  I had at least a dozen kids say - I don't do club and I am already behind the eight ball compared to all the other kids.  I talked with many of these kids and explained to them that it doesn't matter if you never tried it before - we will try to put against kids that are at your skill level and I explained that sometimes you will get a good kid but that's ok.  I told them stories of how we had kids not start wrestling until their sophomore year in high school and make it to state their senior year.  I told them of kids not being able to wrestle themselves out of a paper bag their freshman year and then being a 3 time varsity starter with 20+ wins each year.  I have given them a vision - if this group of 30 (yes I got 30 kids to sign up) can stick together, and it is a very athletic group - we can win conference championships, maybe get to team state depending on how hard they work.  We have been hurting for numbers in high school for a few years - I went out to change that - and I think I did.  I got this quote off a website and I have said it to the kids - "Every time a player fully commits to the team, the team's strength multiplies. Commitment follows trust. All in!"   I hope to carry that quote with them the next 5-6 years.   Sorry if I got a little off the point but I learned if you want kids out - get out and talk to them and ease some of their fears of trying wrestling.

So you recruit thats good for the sport I am not blowing off the trepidation from some kids that they do not want to lose or get beat up week after week, but the bottom line if they do not put in the time and work to get better than the guy beating them will continue to do so. Its tough these days to get some young men and Women to compete in this tough sport when there are so many alternatives that take less effort and work. That is where the parents, coaches, Club members and team mates along with wrestling schools and Community come in, recruit and work together to convince them with hard work dedication and commitment you can also succeed explain to them the "Good Wrestler" is not good just because they go to a Wrestling School/Club they are good because of the things I mentioned above. Hard Work Dedication and commiment along with team work. Nothing in life comes really easy even those with the most God Given Talent and athletic ability are challenged at some point in their life.  Community Pride is huge in the recruitment and sustaining these programs the really successful ones have that sense of pride for participation on the wrestling team...Community support for example in places like Coleman certainly adds to the experience and ability to garner interest but even in that Community I know several wrestlers over the years that work throughout the off season to improve. Same for other very successful programs. So the bottom line is Wrestling Schools and Club Wrestling is good for the Sport how you manage the small things like listing the name is up to you as individual or as you see fit as School Team. This should be talked about openly with your Coaches and Parents heck invite the Local Wrestling School representative to the school for question and answer session be open and ask if you do not ask then you will never know the answer. The ones i mentioned are up front decent people that want the sport to grow it is their best interest thats for sure.

Big House

People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

ramjet

Big House

People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

ramjet

Big House

ramjet

Big House

You didn't get my joke ... read the last post again ... and think ...

ramjet

I got it but you missed mine.......... ;)