Seeding system has to be broken

Started by wiwrestle#1, February 20, 2024, 07:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firemanscarry

Way more upsets in the girls' brackets, but it's kind of to be expected. It's a rapidly growing sport without a ton of historical data to feed to the computer. Plus, some programs don't get nearly as many matches for their girls as others. In some cases, they mainly wrestled boys all season.

I think that in a few years, the girls' brackets will "settle down" and become more predictable, and you won't see as many returning champions getting knocked off. Going to take a bit yet, though.
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

Numbers

Quote from: firemanscarry on February 26, 2024, 03:48:10 PMWay more upsets in the girls' brackets, but it's kind of to be expected. It's a rapidly growing sport without a ton of historical data to feed to the computer. Plus, some programs don't get nearly as many matches for their girls as others. In some cases, they mainly wrestled boys all season.

I think that in a few years, the girls' brackets will "settle down" and become more predictable, and you won't see as many returning champions getting knocked off. Going to take a bit yet, though.
The returning state qualifier seeding criteria elimination would also help girls.

hornbuckleb

The only two problems with the current seeding system are inaccurate/missing data, and no double elimination.  Both are easily resolved.

Track could produce a report containing the records for each qualifier broken down by team.  Coaches would have until Monday at noon to certify the records.

Double elimination can happen.  Start the entire tournament (all divisions) at 10:00 on Thursday.

wrastle63

Quote from: hornbuckleb on February 27, 2024, 09:46:53 AMThe only two problems with the current seeding system are inaccurate/missing data, and no double elimination.  Both are easily resolved.

Track could produce a report containing the records for each qualifier broken down by team.  Coaches would have until Monday at noon to certify the records.

Double elimination can happen.  Start the entire tournament (all divisions) at 10:00 on Thursday.
Quote from: hornbuckleb on February 27, 2024, 09:46:53 AMThe only two problems with the current seeding system are inaccurate/missing data, and no double elimination.  Both are easily resolved.

I would love double elimination, but think it will be easier to go to balanced divisions and run the 16 man bracket like D1 and girls. With competitive balance it would make it easier for the fans, coaches, etc.

Numbers

hornbuckleb

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 27, 2024, 10:37:31 AM

I would love double elimination, but think it will be easier to go to balanced divisions and run the 16 man bracket like D1 and girls. With competitive balance it would make it easier for the fans, coaches, etc.

Your right.  Competitive balance adds another dynamic.  Does it ever transistion into individual success?  How about girls wrestling, will we ever see multiple divisions?

Not that this ever happens, but would love to see a 40-man bracket, double elimination place top 12.  Qualify everything the same, 16,12 and 12 all into one bracket.  Wow!

rankwizard

wrong- the third problem -- several weights had guys seeded lower than the provided data suggested. these guys pulled "upsets". there is an easy fix to it- just have a committee vote on it. a computer alone doesn't get the whole job done.  the criteria is great and does a great job at getting a baseline down, but there a few more steps to improve the system further.

hornbuckleb

Quote from: rankwizard on February 27, 2024, 06:32:26 PM

wrong- the third problem -- several weights had guys seeded lower than the provided data suggested. these guys pulled "upsets". there is an easy fix to it- just have a committee vote on it. a computer alone doesn't get the whole job done.  the criteria is great and does a great job at getting a baseline down, but there a few more steps to improve the system further.

What range of seeds?  I would argue if the top 4 are close to being correct then there is no problem.  Last thing you need is a committee debating over seeds 4 or 5, 6 or 7.

Ghetto

This is probably a hi-jack of this thread, but the team state seeding is jacked.

Homestead beat Hartford in a dual, beat them in the conference tournament, and scored more points at individual state. Still seeded below them.

I'm not smart enough to understand why.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Quote from: hornbuckleb on February 28, 2024, 09:14:50 AM

What range of seeds?  I would argue if the top 4 are close to being correct then there is no problem.  Last thing you need is a committee debating over seeds 4 or 5, 6 or 7.
Seeds 5-7 are super important in D2/D3. You lose round 1 and you are done. If all the brackets were the same we would all understand the importance and value the same things. 

hornbuckleb

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 28, 2024, 12:03:41 PM
Quote from: hornbuckleb on February 28, 2024, 09:14:50 AM

Seeds 5-7 are super important in D2/D3. You lose round 1 and you are done. If all the brackets were the same we would all understand the importance and value the same things. 

I understand what you are saying, but not buying it.  Double elimination fixes that problem regardless of division or seed.

rankwizard

The weights I had slight disagreements with were:

D1: 132 and 150

D2: 106, 120, 132, 138, 150

D3: 113, 132, 144

It all worked out okay, I just thought a couple kids got rougher draws than they deserved. I also got to keep in mind that life is not fair and this stuff happens.

Houndhead

Are you talking true double elimination? The loser bracket winner has to double dip the king seat?

bigoil

Quote from: Houndhead on March 01, 2024, 06:18:31 AMAre you talking true double elimination? The loser bracket winner has to double dip the king seat?
We are going to go back to good points and bad points, need two X's in your row.

DocWrestling

That brings back memories of monster brackets and avoiding the two X's!  Someone needs to bring those back.  Not sure anyone fully understood those brackets
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!