It's the thread you know you needed: 12 weights

Started by Ghetto, April 02, 2020, 03:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Is it today?

Nice!!

I hope that there is transparency in the data, no matter the outcome. How are we looking at this? That would be interesting to the nerd in me.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Quote from: Ghetto on April 28, 2020, 12:11:10 PM
Is it today?

Nice!!

I hope that there is transparency in the data, no matter the outcome. How are we looking at this? That would be interesting to the nerd in me.

not sure as to how to look at it. I will support the move to 13 but I will not to 12.

I think this will be rushed a tick. I think there should be more thought put into this for the long run.

I hear the arguments for dropping weight classes. what is my main problem is we are crossing a fine line as to punishing teams that do fill out line ups.

I look at it this way that in each division there is 16 teams that do fill out line ups or have the possiblity of doing so. I go by sectionals teams. Now I understand that 16 is a small % of the total teams in each division.

Is there like 30% of the teams that fill out line ups? I am wondering what the % will be with 13 weight classes and 12 weight classes. Will it be a monster difference or will it be the same old.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

asdfg

Great News!!

Maybe we can now switch to yearly forum posts of what the successful schools are doing to consistently increase or maintain their #'s instead of this crud.

Ghetto

I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

Really don't see how this is great news at all. As our numbers continue to drop, we in Wisconsin will stay status quo. Because the WIAA won't stray from the NFHS, we will continue to not do what is best for teams. We'll keep our seat at the table so we can have a vote (However our vote truly means nothing if we aren't voting to change anything)

I'll never stop bringing this up.

I would however, love to see how teams are trying to grow. It's not a whole lot different than what many other teams are doing. In fact, I was in a Google Meet with a bunch of coaches from around the state a few weeks back and we talked about growing our programs. It was great.

At least we don't have to worry about haircuts at weigh-ins. That's gonna grow wrestling for sure.

asdfg

Quote from: Ghetto on April 28, 2020, 03:55:53 PM

Really don't see how this is great news at all. As our numbers continue to drop, we in Wisconsin will stay status quo. Because the WIAA won't stray from the NFHS, we will continue to not do what is best for teams. We'll keep our seat at the table so we can have a vote (However our vote truly means nothing if we aren't voting to change anything)

I would however, love to see how teams are trying to grow. It's not a whole lot different than what many other teams are doing. In fact, I was in a Google Meet with a bunch of coaches from around the state a few weeks back and we talked about growing our programs. It was great.

At least we don't have to worry about haircuts at weigh-ins. That's gonna grow wrestling for sure.

I'm confused-how are "#'s continuing to drop"?  Off your first post in this thread, WI had more #'s this year since 2015, and overall minimal changes in #'s in the past 4+ years? 

Also-care to share what you heard at the meeting to grow the sport?

Ghetto

Quote from: asdfg on April 28, 2020, 04:06:04 PM

I'm confused-how are "#'s continuing to drop"?  Off your first post in this thread, WI had more #'s this year since 2015, and overall minimal changes in #'s in the past 4+ years? 

Sorry. I was sulking a bit.

Numbers were up almost 400 from 18-19 to 19-20. We regained the numbers we lost from 15-16 on. I hope we are on an uptick.

Here's the notes that I took from our video chat. There were more, but I couldn't write as fast as people were talking.

1. Put your upper classmen with young guys. Drilling and maybe conditioning. Kids stay with their buddy. Those older buddies also mentor the young guys in the hallways, etc.

2. "Good game" lines after practice. Kinda like a handshake line after a dual.

3. Having awards be core value awards. No MVP, Pinner award, etc. The awards at the banquet are for whatever your program holds to be most valuable.

4. Have a "lock in" before the first night of the season

5.  5 stages of team development (from a book)

6.  21 Ways to be a Great Teammate (a book)

7. "The Hard Hat" (book)

8.  Captain's book study weekly or whatever time frame makes sense

9.  High School Practice with middle school

10.  Two levels of practice- Higher level kids and beginners

11.  Hire the most popular teacher in the middle school to be the wrestling coach and give him an assistant that knows wrestling

12.  Have a system from kids club to HS

13.  Head coach goes to JV tournaments/schedule varsity and JV on different weekends if possible

14.  There is no 14. I lost the second sheet.  :(

There was more ideas. I couldn't write them all down, and I lost my second piece of paper. It was a lot of fun listening to guys from programs that I don't know. I hope we do it again soon.

littleguy301

The hair rule I think could be a factor in getting kids out.

How many other sports have a hair rule?

littleguy301

Just looking at the nfhs quickly. Looks that many sports have dropped in numbers and some alot worse than wrestling.

So....I dont hear sport in the other sports talk about eliminating positions in their respective sports.

wrastle63

Speaking of growing wrestling.... if we would have cut to 12 weight classes like you said we would have 80 less state qualifiers across divisions and 24 less state place winners. I am the opposite of give everyone a trophy, but you cut those out for the individual state tournament and you lose fans at tournaments, WIAA loses money, less wrestling action, and probably some kids get frustrated and quit. If you want to go to 12 for duals sure, but the individual state series should NOT or ever reduce weight classes if we want to grow the sport. Look at basketball they used to have 3 divisions and now they are up to 5. More opportunity=more kids. More kids=Growing the sport

littleguy301

We are not going to grow something by cutting opportunities.

Then why doesnt the WWF cut down the youth state classes. Let's start there first and cut numbers for the next level.

If this doesnt work out wrestling will never get these classes back.

asdfg

Quote from: Ghetto on April 28, 2020, 09:44:12 PM

Numbers were up almost 400 from 18-19 to 19-20. We regained the numbers we lost from 15-16 on. I hope we are on an uptick.

Here's the notes that I took from our video chat. There were more, but I couldn't write as fast as people were talking.

1. Put your upper classmen with young guys. Drilling and maybe conditioning. Kids stay with their buddy. Those older buddies also mentor the young guys in the hallways, etc.

3. Having awards be core value awards. No MVP, Pinner award, etc. The awards at the banquet are for whatever your program holds to be most valuable.

7. "The Hard Hat" (book)

11.  Hire the most popular teacher in the middle school to be the wrestling coach and give him an assistant that knows wrestling

13.  Head coach goes to JV tournaments/schedule varsity and JV on different weekends if possible

There was more ideas. I couldn't write them all down, and I lost my second piece of paper. It was a lot of fun listening to guys from programs that I don't know. I hope we do it again soon.

I apologize if it comes across as attacking Ghetto.  Clearly Ghetto is in a position of influence in some manner in WI.  He has the ability to be in Google Meetups with coaches that are discussing the growth and success of the sport.  It takes 3 comments and pulling teeth to get a brief synopsis of what actually are some really good resources and ideas.  Yet we get 12 pages  and YEARLY "sulking" and "hoping for a small victory" of why we need to limit the sport.  Maybe I am missing the posts, but it sure would seem to make more sense to have the leaders, coaches, and those in the know in the state promoting and producing forum posts on what they have found successful, not why we need to give up varsity spots.

Also-Off the list Ghetto posted:

21 ways to be a great teammate.  Book "the Hard hat" by Jon Gordon.

1-As a team member, one of the things you control each day is your effort. Effort is a cornerstone value that you can control and allow oneself to be the best.
2-While well done is greater than well said, don't just show effort, demand it vocally to your teammates.
3-The key to success is be a life-long learner. Stay humble and hungry along the way.
4-Try to be the best you can be. Pursue excellence. Give more percent of yourself each opportunity you get.
5-Stay positive and spread that positivity.
6-Don't complain.
7-Work hard for your team. Put your team first. Give credit where credit is due.
8-If you want commitment, be committed.
9-Be consistent in your attitude, effort, and actions.
10-Before you expect the best of yourself, you can expect the best from your team.
11-If you respect everyone, they will respect you
12-Be an energy fountain, not a drain.
13-Without communication, you can't build trusting relationships
14-Connect with your teammates. Get to know them as people on and off the field.
15-Greatness is a focus a focus on making oneself better and ones team better.
16-Be selfless.
17-Show you care, don't just say how much you care.
18-Be a loyal friend to  your teammates.
19-Love your team first. Commit to that. They will then love you back.
20-Be willing to sacrifice some of your wants for what the team needs.
21-Leave the place better than you found it.

Ghetto

Quote from: asdfg on April 29, 2020, 10:48:35 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 28, 2020, 09:44:12 PM

7. "The Hard Hat" (book)

I apologize if it comes across as attacking Ghetto.  Clearly Ghetto is in a position of influence in some manner in WI.  He has the ability to be in Google Meetups with coaches that are discussing the growth and success of the sport.  It takes 3 comments and pulling teeth to get a brief synopsis of what actually are some really good resources and ideas.  Yet we get 12 pages  and YEARLY "sulking" and "hoping for a small victory" of why we need to limit the sport.  Maybe I am missing the posts, but it sure would seem to make more sense to have the leaders, coaches, and those in the know in the state promoting and producing forum posts on what they have found successful, not why we need to give up varsity spots.

Also-Off the list Ghetto posted:

21 ways to be a great teammate.  Book "the Hard hat" by Jon Gordon.

1-As a team member, one of the things you control each day is your effort. Effort is a cornerstone value that you can control and allow oneself to be the best.
2-While well done is greater than well said, don't just show effort, demand it vocally to your teammates.
3-The key to success is be a life-long learner. Stay humble and hungry along the way.
4-Try to be the best you can be. Pursue excellence. Give more percent of yourself each opportunity you get.
5-Stay positive and spread that positivity.
6-Don't complain.
7-Work hard for your team. Put your team first. Give credit where credit is due.
8-If you want commitment, be committed.
9-Be consistent in your attitude, effort, and actions.
10-Before you expect the best of yourself, you can expect the best from your team.
11-If you respect everyone, they will respect you
12-Be an energy fountain, not a drain.
13-Without communication, you can't build trusting relationships
14-Connect with your teammates. Get to know them as people on and off the field.
15-Greatness is a focus a focus on making oneself better and ones team better.
16-Be selfless.
17-Show you care, don't just say how much you care.
18-Be a loyal friend to  your teammates.
19-Love your team first. Commit to that. They will then love you back.
20-Be willing to sacrifice some of your wants for what the team needs.
21-Leave the place better than you found it.

I've been attacked far worse than what you've done.

You asked me once, and I responded. That ain't pulling teeth.

I post yearly statistics on the fact that almost 70% of our HS teams in Wisconsin don't fill the 14 weight classes in the most important tournament of the year. It's not sulking.

Reducing weight classes to what is actually a manageable number for a large majority of teams in this state is not limiting the sport IMO. But we clearly don't agree, and that's fine with me.

I totally agree with you on the sharing of ideas. Funny how we never see coaches from any of the large programs ever come on here, at least not publicly. Why is that? I know a lot of coaches lurk here.

Either way, I hope you were able to get something from the list. If it helps, awesome.

Ghetto

Pennsylvania still in the future with 13 weight idea. Vote is in May.

wrastle63

Quote from: Ghetto on April 29, 2020, 06:31:10 PM
Pennsylvania still in the future with 13 weight idea. Vote is in May.
For duals sure let's go to 13 or even 12, but why are we trying to take away opportunities from kids for the individual part of the sport. That doesn't make an sense and is the opposite of growing the sport. I love the data Ghetto, but if you want to solve a dual problem let's not hurt the tournament part of our sport.

Less weight classes will lower wrestling numbers. That is the opposite of growing the sport. Again as I said other sports growing opportunities(more divisions) which means there is a higher chance of making it to sectionals or state. To get more kids we need more opportunities not cutting weight classes.

Let's focus on more important problems that will help grow our sport than cut opportunities like: double elimination at state, get rid of 7+7 rule, restructuring the regional/sectional system so it is the same for all divisions, seperating the best teams in a sectional(they at least get to dual at team sectionals), seeding state, addressing weight cutting/growth allowance, etc.