It's the thread you know you needed: 12 weights

Started by Ghetto, April 02, 2020, 03:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The wrestler

Quad you better check yours and get back to me on that thanks. But it is a fact. Sorry but that is for Team Titles in Track and field

thequad

WWO, Sorry, I thought this was a wrestling site!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

padre

Quote from: thequad on April 22, 2020, 03:36:27 PM
Quote from: The wrestler on April 22, 2020, 01:27:29 PM
If my memory is correct D3 had a team that took a team state Championship 2 years in a row with two boys which had 4 kids out all year. I believe it was Coleman. So it can be done in track.
I think you better read this over and see what it sounds like! Then check your facts!
With two boys?
And four kids out all year?

I know quite a few years back a D3 team lost the team state title by one point with 1 qualifier.

Our girls team won back to back recently and basically had 3 scorers.

littleguy301

Quote from: The wrestler on April 22, 2020, 01:27:29 PM
If my memory is correct D3 had a team that took a team state Championship 2 years in a row with two boys which had 4 kids out all year. I believe it was Coleman. So it can be done in track.

I think Richland center in d2 won team state with Paul aneer winning 3 events or maybe 4. Not sure how many you can be in.

Back in the 70's park falls won state with David Greenwood winning the max amount of events.

Not sure how many kids we on those teams but if there was only a few then their respective meets were alot of forfeits in alot of other events. Those school didn't ask to eliminate those events the kids were not able to compete in.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

The wrestler

Sorry Quad my fault didn't realize you didn't read the post above that one. But it is a wrestling site talking about dropping to 12 weights. Right guys

Ghetto

Quote from: Chris Hansen on April 22, 2020, 08:49:34 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 21, 2020, 05:52:13 PM
Quote from: Chris Hansen on April 21, 2020, 01:32:30 PM
My only hope in this topic is that those of you who want to reduce the number of weight classes at the very least know that there are a lot of us who are equally invested, who wishes to remain at 14 for equally good reasons. We are not as vocal because we are not trying to change anything. We already have what we want. So if it seems that this is a very one-sided conversation, that is because only one side is speaking. Just know, that your belief, which seems incredibly obvious and is a no-brainer to you, it is incredibly obvious and a no-brainer to me also even though we are 180° apart.

When I have this conversation with my inner circle, we clarify what our desired outcome is.   You want better, more competitive duals with more teams having a chance.   Fair enough.

I want more wrestlers.

We have a different desired outcome.

Your not wrong, I'm not wrong.

I was the head coach at Bruce High School, division 3.  I was the head coach at Plymouth High School, division 2. I am the head coach at Hudson High School, division 1. I have coached in southeastern Wisconsin on Lake Michigan and northwestern Wisconsin on the St. Croix River.  I have seen both sides of the coin. My team at Plymouth had six athletes when I moved there.  I've had a team in Hudson ranked number one.

None of that means anything other than to give me a qualified opinion. And here it is.......

With 100% guarantee, I will have less kids on my team with 13 weights then I will if I have 14 weights. Take that to the bank, it is a guarantee.

Might not be true for you. Didn't say it was. I'm talking about my team and my guarantee.

I'm interested in your opinion. I have also coached on both sides of the spectrum, number-wise. When I was at Muskego, we took two busses because we couldn't fit on one. I coached/coach at Whitefish Bay, where we had 8 last year.

What makes you think that dropping to 13 weights would make you lose kids? Don't you already have kids that wrestle JV because they have a better kid in front of them? Is that why kids would quit?

I in no way am being sarcastic, because I don't get it. I wrestled in a program where we had over 100 kids when I was a freshman. There were 12 weights. That same school now has maybe 30 with 14 weights. I think they have a great coach who works in the building. Back then we did not.

I do want more competitive duals. You are 100% right about that. I also want for more teams to fill weights so the product looks better to the non or average fan. I also want more numbers. I don't think they are correlated, and that's why I am asking.

I truly don't think we have a different desired outcome. At the end of the day both of us want wrestling to be better and to grow. What we disagree on is how that is going to happen.

24 years ago, I thought 40 athletes was my magic number and I needed/wanted to achieve that by 10+10+10+10=40
I was wrong.
40 is still the correct number but I need/want to get there 12+12+10+6=40

The sophomore class stays as large as the freshman class because that is the class I recruit.  I lose 3 of those 12 freshmen but I find 3 kids from the hallway to join as sophomores. 

9th + 10 will ALWAYS be larger than 11th + 12th. 

The reason is as the path to Varsity gets less-realistic, the more likely a kid will have better options outside the room.  Providing depth is simply not enticing enough, generally speaking.

So yes, Ghetto, I do have kids waiting patiently for their chance.  And they either get their chance or they discontinue for greener pastures.

Wrestling is TOUGH.  And the intrinsic reward is only evident to parents.  I got to be honest, I can't blame the kids. 

Just a quick question..... if we still had 10 Olympic weights, would we have more of our senior-level athletes continue their journey than we currently have with 6 Olympic weights?  That answer is yes.           

Of course that answer is yes. Totally different animal. Senior level athletes are in it for that one goal- to be a world or Olympic champion.    The Olympics come around every four years. Guys won't go another four years. I think that analogy works for seniors in HS being bumped out of the lineup, but teams have the power of relationships to keep kids around.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

downtown

In 1996 Sugar River won state in D 2 track and field with only 2 qualifiers.  Those 2 qualifiers placed in 6 events and won 2 of them.  The second place team that year was Cuba City which only had one competitor a kid named Josh Kuepers (i think that was his name) he won 3 events and took second in another event to single handily bring home the runner up trophy for Cuba City.  That is pretty impressive.

downtown

Quote from: The wrestler on April 22, 2020, 10:09:13 AM
Haven't heard from factfinder for a while. Must be looking up facts on (his sons) team. FYI factfinder you sons team is one of the best in the state always has and always will be. I can't see moving to 13 will make a difference on your sons team. We could move to 9 and it wouldn't matter. Why is it when the numbers dropped in football they went to 8 man teams. Why cuz numbers were dropping. Why can't we do the same. If you guys think I'm talking about wrestling as a idividual sport I'm not it is a team sport. Numbers are down so let's try to fix it. I respect all coaches statements and I am not a coach and never was one at the high school level but that doesn't mean I can't see what's going on. I wrested in youth wrestled in high school and always have been involved with our team missed some matches but always been there for 42 years.  I know how many we have out year after year and it is always 20-23 boys . If a wt is dropped from the sport we have varsity reserve to absorb it and 13 is still more than football baseball and round ball. When our coach starts out the year he has only one goal for the team and that's a Team State Title and the rest follows that. I'm thinking for the teams that have never have the opportunity for a team title don't care about it. That's what this is all about teams will be better and more competitive. Think about it if a team has to give up a game cuz they only can put 4 guys out to play basketball or 9 guys on a football team before 8 man 7 guys for baseball. They don't play the game cuz it's not even players. But they do it in wrestling. If you say wrestling is not a team sport then why do they give 6 points for a ff when you don't have enough boys.

You realize that not every team has the goal to win a team state title.  Some is to win their conference.  Some to place top 3 in their conference and some just to win a dual.  You need to look at what is best for the entire state of wrestling not just on how it can make Coleman more competitive.  You have to look at it from D 3 all the way up to D 1.  From the worst teams to the best teams. 

Fourteen weight classes is probably to many.  I just hard time reducing weight classes to accommodate the teams that frankly aren't working as hard to field a full lineup as the top teams.  A full lineup is rarely if ever full of 14 truly varsity caliber kids.  About 5-10 teams in a given year can claim that throughout the whole state in wrestling and they should be rewarded for their efforts not penalized.  Very few football teams throughout the state can claim that all 11 starters are "varsity" ready.  That is what makes up a team.  Some great kids, some average kids and some up and comers/not good kids. 

factfinder

Quote from: The wrestler on April 22, 2020, 10:09:13 AM
Haven't heard from factfinder for a while. Must be looking up facts on (his sons) team. FYI factfinder you sons team is one of the best in the state always has and always will be. I can't see moving to 13 will make a difference on your sons team. We could move to 9 and it wouldn't matter. Why is it when the numbers dropped in football they went to 8 man teams. Why cuz numbers were dropping. Why can't we do the same. If you guys think I'm talking about wrestling as a idividual sport I'm not it is a team sport. Numbers are down so let's try to fix it. I respect all coaches statements and I am not a coach and never was one at the high school level but that doesn't mean I can't see what's going on. I wrested in youth wrestled in high school and always have been involved with our team missed some matches but always been there for 42 years.  I know how many we have out year after year and it is always 20-23 boys . If a wt is dropped from the sport we have varsity reserve to absorb it and 13 is still more than football baseball and round ball. When our coach starts out the year he has only one goal for the team and that's a Team State Title and the rest follows that. I'm thinking for the teams that have never have the opportunity for a team title don't care about it. That's what this is all about teams will be better and more competitive. Think about it if a team has to give up a game cuz they only can put 4 guys out to play basketball or 9 guys on a football team before 8 man 7 guys for baseball. They don't play the game cuz it's not even players. But they do it in wrestling. If you say wrestling is not a team sport then why do they give 6 points for a ff when you don't have enough boys.
Thanks for checking in ;D
Another reason that they dropped to 9 man football was to avoid co-oping!!! well that dint work!!!
8 and 9 man football teams are co-oping and there is even less opportunities then if the would have merged sooner. Thanks for pointing out that colossal mistake, I believe even the WIAA is opposed to expanding 8 man football.

Handles II

For those talking track. When one kid can participate in 4 events its far different than on kid being able to participate in one weight class.
This very fact was pointed out by our tour guide at the Olympic training center when we were at the pool. He said swimming and track only work because the best athletes can participate in multiple events, and non starters can be used in preliminary races to get to the medal rounds.. He said wrestling and boxing get screwed because they are only allowed one athlete per weight and there's no substitution.
Comparing the two sports, at any level, isn't oranges for oranges.

factfinder

New weight classes for the 2021-2022 season will be out next week!
The National Coaches Association said the numbers don't support a reduction but the pressure to change is over whelming so the 2021-2022 season will be reduced by one or possibly two weight classes. They recommended several changes to the NFHS and don't know what way they will vote but the likely changes will look at a merge at the upper and lower weights.
the thoughts are If the vote for 13 weight classes wins the merge will most likely happen at 182&195 and if they take out two weight classes they will merge 106 & 113 as well. Obviously weights will all be slightly adjusted to make the new weight classes be as fair as possible.

wrastle63

Quote from: factfinder on April 24, 2020, 07:26:06 AM
The National Coaches Association said the numbers don't support a reduction but the pressure to change is over whelming so the 2021-2022 season will be reduced by one or possibly two weight classes. They recommended several changes to the NFHS and don't know what way they will vote but the likely changes will look at a merge at the upper and lower weights.
the thoughts are If the vote for 13 weight classes wins the merge will most likely happen at 182&195 and if they take out two weight classes they will merge 106 & 113 as well. Obviously weights will all be slightly adjusted to make the new weight classes be as fair as possible.

107 lbs.
114 lbs.
121 lbs.
128 lbs.
134 lbs.
140 lbs.
146 lbs.
152 lbs.
160 lbs.
172 lbs.
189 lbs.
215 lbs.
285 lbs.

This is one of the rumored sets of weight classes.

factfinder

Quote from: wrastle63 on April 24, 2020, 12:46:40 PM

107 lbs.
114 lbs.
121 lbs.
128 lbs.
134 lbs.
140 lbs.
146 lbs.
152 lbs.
160 lbs.
172 lbs.
189 lbs.
215 lbs.
285 lbs.

If they go to 13 weights that seems like a likely layout, if they go 12 it will most likely have the first weight start at 112.

littleguy301

Quote from: factfinder on April 24, 2020, 01:13:26 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on April 24, 2020, 12:46:40 PM

107 lbs.
114 lbs.
121 lbs.
128 lbs.
134 lbs.
140 lbs.
146 lbs.
152 lbs.
160 lbs.
172 lbs.
189 lbs.
215 lbs.
285 lbs.

If they go to 13 weights that seems like a likely layout, if they go 12 it will most likely have the first weight start at 112.

Question is with some classes 6 pounds apart will there be weight allowances? 128 to 160 could have alot of moving if we still put 3 pounds into effect at regionals.

If we go to 12 classes there is go in ng to be alot of peeved off people of the 110 or 112 classes

littleguy301

So if we go to 12 classes, will the average time of duals even be 1 hour? With 14 weights I dont think the average time was even 1 hour with all the forfeits.

I was at a dual tournament that had a dual last less than 10 minutes this year. 2 marchea wrestled and 10 or 11 forfeits. 1 double if not 2.