It's the thread you know you needed: 12 weights

Started by Ghetto, April 02, 2020, 03:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkKnight

Okay cut to 12.

The duals that aren't entertaining last year, won't be any more entertaining. You'll think it will be, but then it'll happen, and then it'll be, oh well, the dual happened the way it was gonna happen with 14 weights. not much of a change.

There will be more kids not wrestling because they can't give a varsity spot because their school already has a kid at the weight they'd like to wrestle at. Dont pay to jump up 2-3 weight classes or cut an extra 10 pounds to make a weight.

littleguy301

Quote from: DarkKnight on April 26, 2020, 09:53:28 AM
Okay cut to 12.

The duals that aren't entertaining last year, won't be any more entertaining. You'll think it will be, but then it'll happen, and then it'll be, oh well, the dual happened the way it was gonna happen with 14 weights. not much of a change.

There will be more kids not wrestling because they can't give a varsity spot because their school already has a kid at the weight they'd like to wrestle at. Dont pay to jump up 2-3 weight classes or cut an extra 10 pounds to make a weight.

Most kids in the spot you talk about will not cut 10 pounds and the easy answer is they will not give up the weight to move up either.

While many of us believe jv is a great thing, sadely it isnt widely accepted in today's youth.

While I am a big wrestling fan, we also have to look at outside sports. The numbers are dropping in many. Just not the time to be cutting weight classes. If this fails I hope we all know that we will never get this spots back again.

For the people that are still going to be involved in 10 years and we have numbers in the 6k range, please dont wonder why.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ghetto

40 kids, if there are 14 weights and all are filled, means 26 kids are not wrestling varsity
40 kids, if 13 weights, means 27 kids are JV
40 kids, 12 weights, 28 JV

We talk about kids quitting, and that may happen. What may also be happening is we are putting kids out on varsity that don't belong, and they are quitting.

If there are 12 or 13 weights, there are less places to run, less "lineup fillers" and more possible decent matches. That would lead to less pins/FFs and longer duals.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Quote from: The wrestler on April 26, 2020, 12:33:11 PM
In 1980 we had 500 students in our school had 40 wrestlers in a smaller wrestling room than they have now with 12 weight classes. 2020 we have 220 students 22 wrestlers bigger wrestling room and 14 weight classes. I do not know how old you guys are but I'm sure you did not see the 1980's and if you did you know what I'm talking about. Why not go to 13. Take care of a lot of situations with 13. Littleguy said went to a match out of 14 only 2 matches wrestled. If you move to 12 it won't solve anything. If it doesn't work all we will hear is we should of stayed at 14. If we move to 13 I think it will be a smoother transition. I don't care what you say wrestling is going down hill. After wrestling season is over the kids don't want to even talk about wrestling. The sport of wrestling is going all in or stay home. It is putting lots of pressure on the kids more so than when we wrestled.  Numbers are dropping no matter how you look at it. If we can't put 14 Varsity boys on the mat what does that say about our Varsity Reserve boys. How many school can put together a full second team. The answer is not a co-op cuz you put 2 D3 teams together and then you are a D2 team. Can't compete in D3 how can you compete in D2.

Actually I just looked up that match and if we went to 12 weight there might not even have 2 matches. There would have been 1 for sure cancelled and the other we can debate.

factfinder

In 1980 we had 500 students in our school had 40 wrestlers in a smaller wrestling room than they have now with 12 weight classes. 2020 we have 220 students 22 wrestlers bigger wrestling room and 14 weight classes. I do not know how old you guys are but I'm sure you did not see the 1980's and if you did you know what I'm talking about. Why not go to 13. Take care of a lot of situations with 13. Littleguy said went to a match out of 14 only 2 matches wrestled. If you move to 12 it won't solve anything. If it doesn't work all we will hear is we should of stayed at 14. If we move to 13 I think it will be a smoother transition. I don't care what you say wrestling is going down hill. After wrestling season is over the kids don't want to even talk about wrestling. The sport of wrestling is going all in or stay home. It is putting lots of pressure on the kids more so than when we wrestled.  Numbers are dropping no matter how you look at it. If we can't put 14 Varsity boys on the mat what does that say about our Varsity Reserve boys. How many school can put together a full second team. The answer is not a co-op cuz you put 2 D3 teams together and then you are a D2 team. Can't compete in D3 how can you compete in D2.
Wrestling numbers are down in WI you are correct but nationally numbers are up and they have been slowly going up since we went to 14 weight classes. In the 2019 season wrestling was the 3rd fastest growing sport for boys.

imnofish

Quote from: factfinder on April 26, 2020, 08:16:54 PM
Wrestling numbers are down in WI you are correct but nationally numbers are up and they have been slowly going up since we went to 14 weight classes. In the 2019 season wrestling was the 3rd fastest growing sport for boys.

Not always the case that co-op teams will move up a division.  For example, Chetek-Weyerhauser-Prairie Farm actually dropped to D3 this year. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

littleguy301

I think it was posted that numbers were up a tick in Wisconsin this year.

I am a product of the 80`s and we had some forfeits also with 12 weight classes.

bigoil

What is the make up of GET-MM coop? Is this all one school or are they fairly evenly split? A coop in the State finals would seem to at least possibly support two teams.

littleguy301

Quote from: bigoil on April 27, 2020, 08:08:21 AM
What is the make up of GET-MM coop? Is this all one school or are they fairly evenly split? A coop in the State finals would seem to at least possibly support two teams.

Get is a make up of 3 towns and is seperate for about all other sports but wrestling.

Mm is a make up of 2 towns and they were 2 separate schools I believe at one time.

I think the only thing they co op in is wrestling.

bigoil

Yeah I'm not talking about the 5 communities but rather two schools. Combined they were state finalists and state qualifiers before that.

Ghetto

Quote from: The wrestler on April 26, 2020, 04:07:01 PM
Ghetto 40 kids were in 1980 now 22-14=8. Read all of it. Don't respond if you don't have the facts.

Uh. Ok

My point is that if we take away one weight, only one more kid is wrestling JV.

And that's a maybe.

If you have 22 kids on a team, It is extremely likely that some of them are in the same weight class anyway, and are already wrestling JV. Redistributing the weights may not change any of the kids in the scenario of having 22.

Ghetto

There are more teams with wrestling, and that is great, but teams have actually gotten smaller over time.

imnofish

Quote from: Ghetto on April 27, 2020, 10:37:27 AM

There are more teams with wrestling, and that is great, but teams have actually gotten smaller over time.

One big contributor to this trend is probably decreased student populations in many schools. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Two toughest teams in the state THE ENTIRE STATE  Coleman and Wrightstown....then look at Fennimore and Stratford.... yes allot of yap yap on D1 when in fact some excellent very strong teams at the the other two levels....good programs will continue to be good because they have culture community and coaching..