Evan Wick

Started by oldfan, December 12, 2015, 01:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudden_victory

There is an interview with the Wick bros at Wisconsin wrestling twitter. Apparently they went to a Wisconsin wrestling camp and that's how they started to be interested.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

hammen

Quote from: sudden_victory on January 21, 2016, 11:49:39 PM
There is an interview with the Wick bros at Wisconsin wrestling twitter. Apparently they went to a Wisconsin wrestling camp and that's how they started to be interested.

I would imagine they are referring to the FILA Cadet World team camp that Mitch Hull was able to bring to UW. That move by Mitch is genius.

Micah

Quote from: hammen on January 22, 2016, 06:02:10 AM

I would imagine they are referring to the FILA Cadet World team camp that Mitch Hull was able to bring to UW. That move by Mitch is genius.

That should help, hopefully he can keep the camp there longterm.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Micah on January 22, 2016, 07:29:02 AM

That should help, hopefully he can keep the camp there longterm.
[/quote]

I think, but not sure, it is a one year deal and we got it for two years because MI gave up their year but it would be good if we could keep it. Maybe we could host a WI cadet national team camp.

Barou

That is great to hear!
JHI Mafia

buc65

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 10, 2016, 12:50:05 PM
Quote from: sudden_victory on January 10, 2016, 11:08:10 AM
More likely than not developing, they will be multiple All Americans. Have twins or brothers won NCAA titles in the same year?

SV - I think the Brands and the Banach twins did but someone will need to confirm.

Tom and Terry Brands (twins) won NCAA titles in 1992
Ed & Lou Banach (twins) - 1981 & 1983
Mark and Dave Schultz - 1982
Jim and Bill Scherr (twins) - Nebraska - 1984
Dwayne and Darrell Keller (twins) - Oklahoma State - 1970

sudden_victory

San Marino finished undefeated in league duals and should be in CIF southern section dual meet division tournament Feb 6. The brackets are to be posted on the 4th. There are six divisions in the southern section.
League finals are Feb 10. CIF southern section individual division tournaments are Feb 19-20. San Marino and ML King are in the same division so Evan Wick and Luke Troy should have a rematch in the finals. The following weekend will be the sectional tournament, southern section Masters,  followed by the state tournament March 4-5.

littleguy301

Mitch Hull the Badgers diamond in the rough ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

sudden_victory

San Marino is in a 16 team dual meet tournament Saturday and seeded 1st. (CIF Southern Section Western Division). It does not look like Evan will meet any known ranked opponents at 152. At 145, Zander could have a tough opponent in the finals as both the #2 and #3 teams have state ranked 145's, one is #20 and the other honorable mention. Both Wicks are ranked #1 in the state this week.
The finals start at 160 lb so they may not wrestle at all, depending on the score.

hammen

Thank you for the updates - much appreciated.

billymurphy

There is a nice video of those boys on YouTube talking to a reporter
about why they decided to become Badgers.

vsmf2010

Quote from: The Angry Fish on February 05, 2016, 12:58:41 AM
Quote from: billymurphy on February 04, 2016, 09:32:53 PM
There is a nice video of those boys on YouTube talking to a reporter
about why they decided to become Badgers.

More reason to get excited about the future. The Badgers did a great job recruiting these two.

Completely agree. They are having a lot of success against very good competition. This type of HS folkstyle success has translated to college success at a pretty high percentage lately so looking forward to great things when they get rolling as Badgers.

Also it appears like they have gotten significantly better over the last year which is a great sign that they have not maxed out at all. Some HS wrestlers are coming out with so much experience now that I think some of them peak early and plateau some but I think these guys are on a excellent upward path.

sudden_victory

I've been reading the California forum to figure out what happened in the dual tournament. I had heard San Marino lost in the semifinals to Downey. Turns out it was 36-36 but Downey won on criteria because San Marino forfeited 5 matches. Their 120 was injured, 106 is a girl and was at a divisional qualifying tournament for girls' state and they don't have 190, 220 or 285. There were no individual upsets or it would have been mentioned.

npope

Quote from: sudden_victory on February 08, 2016, 06:10:20 PM
I've been reading the California forum to figure out what happened in the dual tournament. I had heard San Marino lost in the semifinals to Downey. Turns out it was 36-36 but Downey won on criteria because San Marino forfeited 5 matches. Their 120 was injured, 106 is a girl and was at a divisional qualifying tournament for girls' state and they don't have 190, 220 or 285. There were no individual upsets or it would have been mentioned.

And a team that walks in the door with absolutely no big guys and nobody to back up at 120 gets the number one seed in a quality tournament? Geeez, wrestling in CA is certainly a horse of a different color.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

There are pockets of very good wrestling in CA. San Diego county, particularly east of San Diego, is full of talent. Wrestling in the urban areas is not as strong. I don't know where San Marino is, but they may be in a weak section.

They choose their state qualifiers much like the NCAA. When I was coaching out there, the San Diego "sectional" qualified 4 kids to state, while the LA "sectional" only qualified one.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove