My favorite memory is when Loudin Swain beat Brian Schutt on his vision quest

atrain

Quote from: bigdawg on February 10, 2015, 12:35:53 PM

+++1

visionquest

Proverbs 27:17

wrestlingislife_189

There are so many memories for me. I've been to, I believe, 15 straight state tournaments and they are all incredible. I too remember having to run up the stairs to get the best general admission seats for the nose bleeds. One year I was on crutches and had to take the elevator to get up there and some security guard yelled at me for taking the elevator...while I was on crutches. Anyways back to the wrestling itself. I love seeing the kids that make it with 10-15 losses and seeing their dreams of wrestling at the state tournament come true. I never made it to the state tournament when I was in high school but it holds a lot of fond memories for me. Even now, the grand march gives me the chills!

Looking back at all of these past state tournaments and seeing all of the battles that happened is great. It's hard to believe it was 15 years ago when we were watching Luke Smith beat Collin Cudd or Ben Askren over Trevor Spenser. It's too bad the link below doesn't go farther back. I know River Valley may have more info than this but it is really fun to look back at all of this stuff. Man do I love wrestling!

http://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/Wrestling/StateResultsArchive.aspx

maggie

your memory must be slipping a tad mark, it was Old maggie boy that had a Box for 15 yrs before changing Ins Companies...and while attending his Cousin's box he never Dragged anyone anywhere that wan't invited..  ;)  however, that box at the 50 Yd line he had is now back in the hands of it's rightful owner once again after a few contracts were signed... ;).... :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

MarkK

you are probably right Maggie.  If you say it wasnt' you I believe you.  So you are saying you got the box back?   I havent' seen an invite yet.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

whatever

Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 05:28:42 PM
Quote from: wrestle84 on February 09, 2015, 05:09:28 PM
Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: wrestle84 on February 09, 2015, 09:58:15 AM
Lance Hanson pinning Scott Mckernan
Troy Doughman vs. Dan Hall
Derek Sikora beating 2 time champ Mike Myers

That sucked when the newspapers called him "lucky."  He wrestled for Luck High School, but that move was pure skill.

As I remember it, McKernan had Hanson in a cradle and pinned himself.

Nope.  Hanson hooked McKernan's leg with his inside foot and tipped him onto his shoulder blades.  I recognized the technique, because I had successfully used it before.  Later, I taught it to wrestlers that I coached, as part of our cradle defense arsenal.  It's a last resort, but it can be effective, obviously.  What a lot of people didn't know was that Hanson had knee surgery during the season and was still recovering.  In fact, he barely got back on the mat in time for Regionals.  I saw him dominate a tough tournament prior to the injury; what he showed at State was just a fraction of his full capabilities. 

Yes, but you are also leaving out the part where McKernan was a defending champ and he was ahead by a significant margin in the 3 rd period (11-1, I believe...?) and with his team in need of the 2 extra team points, he went for that far-side cradle that Luck stopped.....

Pretty sure if the team race was not a factor, McKernan wouldn't have gone for that move....

"....the older I get, the better I was....."

maggie

well Luck certainly does have something to do with wrestling, I do know that and Whatever has a darn good memory... ;) 

maggie

Mark, you know your always welcome...have a few things to sort out in the next 2 weeks...I'll keep ya informed or willie boy...but with my old buddy "The Dude" now gone we shouldn't have to worry about over crowdedness...as it always was in my hotel room at the Edgewater when ever I would arrive back at it in the morning... :o...talk about funny, The Dude would get himself lost in the crowd after the tournament almost every night down in state street and would get separated from the rest of us, but he was always there at the Hotel suite waiting for us when we can back in the morning...and almost all of the time he would have at least 10 people who we had no idea who they even were having a grand old time in our suite :D... Man i sure do miss that guy... :)

jaguarwrestler

Tritz - Black? The hype far surpassed the match imo. Black had a TD 5 seconds in and it was pretty much over from there... 9-3 I believe, Tritz had nothing for him.

For some reason I always remembered when Jetton ran the steps and jumped into his dad's? arms. That toss and pin by the Stoughton wrestler over a returning champ from Portage? when Stoughton was a huge dog and I believe down in the match. Askren and Brandvold was a great match. Pretty much anything Shawn Ange. Willis v Peterson, what electricity in that place.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

juveyhall

...a few years back......the snowball fight on state street......anyone there?  my arm was sore for days. 

imnofish

Quote from: whatever on February 11, 2015, 12:31:50 PM
Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 05:28:42 PM
Quote from: wrestle84 on February 09, 2015, 05:09:28 PM
Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: wrestle84 on February 09, 2015, 09:58:15 AM
Lance Hanson pinning Scott Mckernan
Troy Doughman vs. Dan Hall
Derek Sikora beating 2 time champ Mike Myers

That sucked when the newspapers called him "lucky."  He wrestled for Luck High School, but that move was pure skill.

As I remember it, McKernan had Hanson in a cradle and pinned himself.

Nope.  Hanson hooked McKernan's leg with his inside foot and tipped him onto his shoulder blades.  I recognized the technique, because I had successfully used it before.  Later, I taught it to wrestlers that I coached, as part of our cradle defense arsenal.  It's a last resort, but it can be effective, obviously.  What a lot of people didn't know was that Hanson had knee surgery during the season and was still recovering.  In fact, he barely got back on the mat in time for Regionals.  I saw him dominate a tough tournament prior to the injury; what he showed at State was just a fraction of his full capabilities. 

Yes, but you are also leaving out the part where McKernan was a defending champ and he was ahead by a significant margin in the 3 rd period (11-1, I believe...?) and with his team in need of the 2 extra team points, he went for that far-side cradle that Luck stopped.....

Pretty sure if the team race was not a factor, McKernan wouldn't have gone for that move....

I remember McKernan was ahead, but I don't recall it being by such a large margin.  Of course, none of that matters, because he got caught in a crafty move.  Both were great wrestlers, but one got his hand raised...  which is par for the course.  One of the great things about wrestling is that you always have a chance to win by fall.  That makes it incredibly exciting, no? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

imnofish

My absolute favorite memories from State are the many times my boy and I took a "guys' road trip" to Mad Town and watched every single match.  The last time we did this, about 15 years ago, he was in his early twenties.  We had a blast.  Now, work and fatherly duties (4 young kids) make it tough for him to go.  His boys are just old enough to start getting interested, so next year we will probably take them to watch some local meets.  Hopefully, they will someday get to watch State with their dad.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

littleguy301

That was just during the year, I believe Schutt beats Swain in the quarters of the state series. Swain had serious women issues and couldnt hold his mud ;) ;) ;) Schutt makes him pay for his only loss in his high school career.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 11, 2015, 11:12:58 PM

That was just during the year, I believe Schutt beats Swain in the quarters of the state series. Swain had serious women issues and couldnt hold his mud ;) ;) ;) Schutt makes him pay for his only loss in his high school career.

yeah, that wasn't state... the best part about Vision Quest was the coach, you know back when the style was to wear a polo shirt under your singlet. http://www.intermatwrestle.com/Files/image/articles/visionquestcoach.jpg
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!