Favorite State Tournament Memories

Started by wrestlingislife_189, February 06, 2015, 11:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlingislife_189

With conference, regionals, sectionals, and state coming up I wanted to start a thread about your favorite state tournament memories. The most obvious one to me is "WILLIS, WILLIS, WILLIS" Davion Willis over Devin Peterson in 2010. I just rewatched that match on Badger State Wrestling (Thank you Shane!) and thought about the Kohl Center that night. There are so many great matches to think about over the years. What are some of your favorites?

p.s. Shane, do you have more years of State Finals that you could upload on Badger State Wrestling? I love watching old finals matches!

Street Glide

Being able to see the last 3 four timers Theilke, Donar and Lantz. 

imnofish

Watching Matt Hanutke become the first 4-time WIAA Champion!   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

padre

Besides being lucky enough to have my own son win a state title and jump in my arms afterwards these would be my seven most memorable moments in no real particular order....

The tribute to Cory Henry after his sudden death by the wrestlers on the podium

Georgeson vs. Dressel...tons of hype and a somehat huge upset although Cory was an excellent wrestler but was just under the radar

Tritz vs. Black....Tritz went for it and was exciting

Greunwald vs. Hall...Clash of the Titans

Hall losing to Hoffman...no one believed it would happen even though they tied days before

Willis vs. Peterson...loudest I've ever heard the Kohl Center

Kittleson throwing headgear into stands leading to penalty point and a state title for Everest

Craziness around the Travis Smith match

Saul Hudson

Brandon Garcia getting DQd with a slam in the finals when he was winning.

Also Peterson going for a cheap tilt and getting pinned his junior year. That was pretty crazy.

imnofish

Seeing Tom Richie become Barron's first State Champ, while still recovering from spinal fusion surgery.  The kid won all matches by fall or tech fall, plus went undefeated, despite still dealing with a lot of pain. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Fabulous Falcons

In 1982 I stood in line waiting to get into the field house. . .being a farm kid, I thought by chance someone missing some fingers could possibly be a farmer. So I said, "Hey you got someone down here." He said. . . yes my boy Jeff Williams from Phillips and he is going to be a state champion! I wished him well and told him I would watch for his boy. In the finals Jeff had a tough kid from East Troy that was thick built in stature. Didn't look like an easy match for Jeff. With the old man hollering and screaming, Jeff double hooked his opponents and lifted him slightly on his tip toes and threw him to the mat for a fall. The old man scream, "That's my boy. . .That's my boy." Jeff shook his coaches hands and made a beeline to the stands where he hugged his dad and celebrated together that special moment. FYI Many of you know that years later the old man's grandson won a state title too. ! :-)
Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

maggie

has to be Askren's taken down over the one who said he was Un-takendownable...in the last few second to win the match after telling him he was going to do it...... :o
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

maggie

WR Martin Thunder also comes to mind...

Ghetto

Quote from: maggie on February 07, 2015, 09:23:05 AM
has to be Askren's taken down over the one who said he was Un-takendownable...in the last few second to win the match after telling him he was going to do it...... :o

Who did that? I don't remember anyone talking all that much junk besides Ben.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

maggie

harley

Quote from: Fabulous Falcons on February 07, 2015, 09:00:32 AM
In 1982 I stood in line waiting to get into the field house. . .being a farm kid, I thought by chance someone missing some fingers could possibly be a farmer. So I said, "Hey you got someone down here." He said. . . yes my boy Jeff Williams from Phillips and he is going to be a state champion! I wished him well and told him I would watch for his boy. In the finals Jeff had a tough kid from East Troy that was thick built in stature. Didn't look like an easy match for Jeff. With the old man hollering and screaming, Jeff double hooked his opponents and lifted him slightly on his tip toes and threw him to the mat for a fall. The old man scream, "That's my boy. . .That's my boy." Jeff shook his coaches hands and made a beeline to the stands where he hugged his dad and celebrated together that special moment. FYI Many of you know that years later the old man's grandson won a state title too. ! :-)

Jeff Williams was a flat out animal, great guy but an animal on the mat!!

maggie

then you must have missed it Ghetto, if i'm not mistaken, it was a cyber war between the 2...and both did there fair share of talking Smack... ;) I do believe I recall Askern say something in the order of he was now upset at a response he got and said he wasn't going to pin him, he was just going to Embarrass him..and in the end...did..I guess he meant, Business... :)

benaskren

For me it was definitely Tritz vs Black in 98 when Black was going for his 4th title!  The Arena was buzzing. 

Ghetto, I never talked any smack, what are you talking about ;)

Other favorite is the 2 or 3 quarterfinal upsets that happen every single year that no one can predict!  You know they are gonna happen, but can't imagine where they are going to happen, then they always do!

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

tiger

Is there any possible way I could watch Tritz v Black? Anyone???