Favorite State Tournament Memories

Started by wrestlingislife_189, February 06, 2015, 11:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mack

How about the time I smashed my mini van in the parking garage because I was so nervous?  Wait. Thought this was "worst memories" thread...

boowrestle

Mack,thats definitely a memory,not sure if a good one or not though.Good luck to the boys at regionals.
you can run but you cannot hide.

warriordad

My favorite memory is my son walking in the parade of champions and wrestling in the finals. He came up a little short of the win but a memory I will never forget!

imnofish

Quote from: wrestle84 on February 09, 2015, 09:58:15 AM
Lance Hanson pinning Scott Mckernan
Troy Doughman vs. Dan Hall
Derek Sikora beating 2 time champ Mike Myers

That sucked when the newspapers called him "lucky."  He wrestled for Luck High School, but that move was pure skill.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

maggie

I would have to say, a great memory has to be spending the whole weekend at the tournament with Shawn (the Dude) Nickelson (RIP my friend)  takes them all!    The Littleguy can attest to that.... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

imnofish

Quote from: Mack on February 09, 2015, 10:20:20 AM
How about the time I smashed my mini van in the parking garage because I was so nervous?  Wait. Thought this was "worst memories" thread...

Yes, there are a few of those bad memories, too.  One year, I had to coach at Sectionals and State as I hobbled around on crutches, due to a dislocated ankle.  By the second day at State, I left the crutches back at the hotel.  It was less trouble to ice down at the end of the day.  The good news was that we had a medalist that year, in David Frandsen.  He shocked a lot of people by dominating and eventually pinning an undefeated wrestler, first round.  
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

wrestle84

Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 04:59:09 PM

That sucked when the newspapers called him "lucky."  He wrestled for Luck High School, but that move was pure skill.

As I remember it, McKernan had Hanson in a cradle and pinned himself.

imnofish

Quote from: wrestle84 on February 09, 2015, 05:09:28 PM
Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2015, 04:59:09 PM

As I remember it, McKernan had Hanson in a cradle and pinned himself.

Nope.  Hanson hooked McKernan's leg with his inside foot and tipped him onto his shoulder blades.  I recognized the technique, because I had successfully used it before.  Later, I taught it to wrestlers that I coached, as part of our cradle defense arsenal.  It's a last resort, but it can be effective, obviously.  What a lot of people didn't know was that Hanson had knee surgery during the season and was still recovering.  In fact, he barely got back on the mat in time for Regionals.  I saw him dominate a tough tournament prior to the injury; what he showed at State was just a fraction of his full capabilities. 

Mustang Fan

Quote from: warriordad on February 09, 2015, 12:17:29 PM
My favorite memory is my son walking in the parade of champions and wrestling in the finals. He came up a little short of the win but a memory I will never forget!

X 2   Same story for me :)

farmerbk

Quote from: maggie on February 07, 2015, 09:23:05 AM
has to be Askren's taken down over the one who said he was Un-takendownable...in the last few second to win the match after telling him he was going to do it...... :o
I think that was baraboos Trevor spencer and I believe askren proclaimed he would tech him without the aid of back points.  He ended up turning him and came just short of a tf (21-8 I think) but he clearly outclassed spencer (a very good wrestler in his own right) and was well on his way to becoming one of the all-time greats. 

farmerbk

I would add Martin thunder upsetting Tyler louden..electric match.

maggie

No Farmerbk,  I was talking  the 2000 Qt finals, he took down Dominguez in the last few seconds to win ...Dominguez was the returning state champion at the time....that was the match of the tournament ... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Ghetto

That was the match of the tournament. Definitely the state finals in the quarters. Spencer ended up tech falling some poor soul from Rapids in the fifth place match in about a minute and a half. Spencer beat a freshman named Ross Needham in the first round. Little did we know that he'd make a name for himself later on.

Again though, Traenor Spencer was talking trash, not Spencer Dominguez. He was soft spoken and a great kid.

Few remember that Spencer Dominguez took Kevin Black down twice in the first period when Spencer was a freshman and Black a senior. Black ended up running that half to death and pinning Dominguez, but the place went a little nuts early. Spencer also tech falled Ben Askren when Askren was a freshman in a dual.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Quack

Quote from: farmerbk on February 09, 2015, 09:34:00 PM
I would add Martin thunder upsetting Tyler louden..electric match.
Martin's family was sitting right in front of us, nice people.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

hammer

I remember the Lodi kid and veenedall in 93? with a very strange OT match. Lodi won but I think they changed the rules after that.

Mossel and Jenson in 01 came down to a penalty point also if my memory is correct.

I guess I remember the "highly" contested matches more.

Ellsworth kid over York in the semis was a match that was much waited for. I for one thought it was Yorks year but as some ones say, that is why they wrestle the matches.

Ryan from arrowhead, eating to be a HWT and putting on a double leg clinic until he simply ran into a kid that would not let him in on the double and lost the finals.