WIAA and possible proposed changes

Started by ElectricGuy, February 10, 2017, 07:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

Quote from: MNbadger on February 15, 2017, 06:13:42 AM
Every kid gets the same shot in our system.

That is the way it should be.
Kyle

wrastle63

Quote from: Kyle on February 15, 2017, 07:14:33 AM

Kyle

That is the way it is in Wisconsin too. Even with the proposed changes.

ramjet

Kyle

Kyle this is exactly why I said liberal mind set. Nobody said anything about taking away opportunities for any wrestler even those with the loosing record and in fact we are expanding opportunities by getting them some matches to wrestle. Now if that bothers you then you do not care about the wrestling and may he one of the parents of a wrestler who had walk through? I will reiterate that MNbadgers and HandlesII both are complicated wholesale changes that would cost more and take away opportunities by cutting weight classes. If you combine and still have byes ay regionals then more drastic changes are in order but one step at a time.

Combining these Regionals does nothing to diminish the numbers of kids going to Sectionals. Top 4 move on.
Combining these Regionals reduces costs and referee that are needed.
Combining these Regionals gives the spectators better quality matches and more excitment.
Combining these Regionals gives a greater sense of achievment to those who make it out. The best wrestlers move on!!!!!!
Combining these Regionals reduces the byes at Sectionals.
Combining these Regionals goes a long ways in cleaning up the team series and getting the top teams in it. Top 2 teams move on.
Combining these Regionals gives more wrestling opportunities to all the weight brackets without having to cut any weight classes.
Combining the Regionals promotes fellowship and wrestling in a competitive atmosphere.
Combining the Regionals DOES NOT REDUCE THE OPPORTUNITES FOR THE WRESTLERS TO MAKE IT TO SECTIONALS.

So slow down read again and you will se nobody is trying take away any wrestlers opportunity. The road may get a little tougher but what's the harm in that?

Handles II

From what I'm reading, the main difference between between what Ram is suggesting and what MNbadger is suggesting is that with Ram's idea, is that with one you will still have Conf, Reg, Sect, State in consecutive weekends, and it will need an NFHS variance to allow a potential 6th match in a day. This has been proposed as the "simplest" change.

The other will eliminate a weekend of wrestling and weigh-ins.
;)

Spartan

Wisconsins system is not equitable for all wrestlers, if you noticed last night only the top 4 teams in a sectional D2 and D3  and 2 from D1 made weight and wrestled. We qualify for team state by winning an individual tournament. There are some simple fixes that would make it equitible.

1. Regional weekend wrestle a team tournament for the teams is that sectional. D2 and D3 would be divided in two and the tournament would be seeded the Monday after conference. Each division would bring eight teams to state. More revenue for the WIAA. Less cost on officials.

2. Tuesday would be a sub sectional, wrestle the same bracket down to 4 wrestlers. possibly 3 rounds.

3. Saturday Sectionals

4. Individual State Stays the same

5 Team state, run it like the Clash each division has 8 teams, draw order to see what session each division wrestles, each team wrestles 3 matches and places 1-8. More teams equals more revenue.

This is more equitable with each wrestler making weight on Saturday and Tuesday rather than only the top teams.

I think it work out to  be revenue positive for the WIAA with less stress on the number of qualified officials reffing important matches. Regional's every year puts first year officials on the mat in some very important matches with wrestlers seasons on the line.

JMHO

MNbadger

Ramjet, What do you mean by "liberal mindset"?  Please, enlighten us.  Are you saying each wrestler having an equal opportunity is bad or against your values?  Is that the "conservative" set of values?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

ramjet

Quote from: Spartan on February 15, 2017, 09:46:10 AM
Wisconsins system is not equitable for all wrestlers, if you noticed last night only the top 4 teams in a sectional D2 and D3  and 2 from D1 made weight and wrestled. We qualify for team state by winning an individual tournament. There are some simple fixes that would make it equitible.

1. Regional weekend wrestle a team tournament for the teams is that sectional. D2 and D3 would be divided in two and the tournament would be seeded the Monday after conference. Each division would bring eight teams to state. More revenue for the WIAA. Less cost on officials.

2. Tuesday would be a sub sectional, wrestle the same bracket down to 4 wrestlers. possibly 3 rounds.

3. Saturday Sectionals

4. Individual State Stays the same

5 Team state, run it like the Clash each division has 8 teams, draw order to see what session each division wrestles, each team wrestles 3 matches and places 1-8. More teams equals more revenue.

This is more equitable with each wrestler making weight on Saturday and Tuesday rather than only the top teams.

I think it work out to  be revenue positive for the WIAA with less stress on the number of qualified officials reffing important matches. Regional's every year puts first year officials on the mat in some very important matches with wrestlers seasons on the line.

JMHO

This has some good elements. But you are correct we had the new officials at ne of the Regionals Saturday it was rough times for obvious reasons. A that's why I think combining some the regionals in D3 makes good sense for what you stated. The team thing has always been an after thought so some of what you suggest makes good sense.

DocWrestling

More good ideas.  Coaches association should be able to take these ideas and create some positive change
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

thequad

What is wrong with eliminating the loosers of in the first round, that is what we do now? Then you don't have to worry about six matches.
One thing I think could be a problem is the dual teams might be less likely to be the best dual meet teams. Because a team with 4 or 5 studs may place higher than a well balanced team.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Kyle

Quote from: ramjet on February 15, 2017, 08:15:12 AM

Kyle

Kyle this is exactly why I said liberal mind set. Nobody said anything about taking away opportunities for any wrestler even those with the loosing record and in fact we are expanding opportunities by getting them some matches to wrestle. Now if that bothers you then you do not care about the wrestling and may he one of the parents of a wrestler who had walk through? I will reiterate that MNbadgers and HandlesII both are complicated wholesale changes that would cost more and take away opportunities by cutting weight classes. If you combine and still have byes ay regionals then more drastic changes are in order but one step at a time.

Combining these Regionals does nothing to diminish the numbers of kids going to Sectionals. Top 4 move on.
Combining these Regionals reduces costs and referee that are needed.
Combining these Regionals gives the spectators better quality matches and more excitment.
Combining these Regionals gives a greater sense of achievment to those who make it out. The best wrestlers move on!!!!!!
Combining these Regionals reduces the byes at Sectionals.
Combining these Regionals goes a long ways in cleaning up the team series and getting the top teams in it. Top 2 teams move on.
Combining these Regionals gives more wrestling opportunities to all the weight brackets without having to cut any weight classes.
Combining the Regionals promotes fellowship and wrestling in a competitive atmosphere.
Combining the Regionals DOES NOT REDUCE THE OPPORTUNITES FOR THE WRESTLERS TO MAKE IT TO SECTIONALS.

So slow down read again and you will se nobody is trying take away any wrestlers opportunity. The road may get a little tougher but what's the harm in that?

Ramjet
I entered this discussion because of the proposal to exclude kids with a less than 500 record. (I believe every kid should take their shot.)Then I corrected your inaccurate description of what our current regionals are supposed to accomplish. Since then you have been lecturing me as though you know what I think. You do not! I don't think a cake walk to sectionals is the greatest thing in wrestling. When someone posts in a discussion you need to realize that you are not the only one that has posted. You are the one that needs to slow down! You are arguing with a straw man.

If you want to fact check read the third post in the thread by Docwrestling. He proposes excluding sub 500 wrestlers.
Kyle

ramjet

Well as long as you understand I never went down that road. My suggestion is a simple effective way to get enough wrestlers through and you notice I do not call the, kids because they are in actuality young adults. You obviously have some close relationship with one of these young adults and feel the suggestion I made that wrestler may not get through to the Sectionals? Just wondering so I can understand better your objection to the proposal I put forth.

The tournamanet series which includes the Regionals is to advance the best wrestlers to State tournament then ultimately crown the State Champion I am not sure how that is debatable. So I am all for a system that allows the wrestlers to wrestle for that privilege to advance and do so in a format that promotes a fair and equitable opportunity for the wrestlers.

MNbadger

Wrasle, Don't you have different numbers of kids at the state tournament in the diferent divisions?  How is this equal?  And yes, Ramjet they are kids(some might be adults being 18 but not most).
Quote from: wrastle63 on February 15, 2017, 07:20:25 AM

Kyle

That is the way it is in Wisconsin too. Even with the proposed changes.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Ah...screw let's just do exactly what Minnesota does.

ramjet

;D Yea but you something I had my son to many MN tournaments in the off season and they all seemed to have the same dffculties as Wisconsin. I never once saw anyone walk on water either.......... ;D