WIAA and possible proposed changes

Started by ElectricGuy, February 10, 2017, 07:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

Ramjet, Where do you get this obsession with the "everyone gets a trophy"  thing?  Apparently WI doesn't even give any awards at their regional tournaments, correct? As far as soccer, both of my daughters played soccer and I never saw what you describe as far as this "everyone gets a trophy" environment you describe.
Your idea of changing the qualification will not do all you think.  Opinion will enter into it just like rankings and seeding.  The only real answer is for all to wrestle making it more of an open style tournament.  This would be fine but it really is NOT the purpose of interscholastic sports.  It may be what you want but it does not fit what the goal of purpose of high school sports is.
You also need to stop exposing your ignorance on here with the political comments.  I blame this on conservatives as your system would be more expensive which would be fiscally irresponsible.............................................
This has nothing to do with politics, liberal (which I defy you to define) or conservative or otherwise.  It also has nothing to do with any of your paranoia in regard to "liberals" and all of the athletes, educators, administrators, and parents that you are so much smarter (and harder - working) than.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

imnofish

Quote from: MNbadger on February 13, 2017, 10:08:55 AM
Ramjet, Where do you get this obsession with the "everyone gets a trophy"  thing?  Apparently WI doesn't even give any awards at their regional tournaments, correct? As far as soccer, both of my daughters played soccer and I never saw what you describe as far as this "everyone gets a trophy" environment you describe.
Your idea of changing the qualification will not do all you think.  Opinion will enter into it just like rankings and seeding.  The only real answer is for all to wrestle making it more of an open style tournament.  This would be fine but it really is NOT the purpose of interscholastic sports.  It may be what you want but it does not fit what the goal of purpose of high school sports is.
You also need to stop exposing your ignorance on here with the political comments.  I blame this on conservatives as your system would be more expensive which would be fiscally irresponsible.............................................
This has nothing to do with politics, liberal (which I defy you to define) or conservative or otherwise.  It also has nothing to do with any of your paranoia in regard to "liberals" and all of the athletes, educators, administrators, and parents that you are so much smarter (and harder - working) than.

+ 1,000,000...
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Combining these Regionals does nothing to diminish the numbers of kids going to Sectionals. Top 4 move on.
Combining these Regionals reduces costs and referee that are needed.
Combining these Regionals gives the spectators better quality matches and more excitment.
Combining these Regionals gives a greater sense of achievment to those who make it out. The best wrestlers move on!!!!!!
Combining these Regionals reduces the byes at Sectionals.
Combining these Regionals goes a long ways in cleaning up the team series and getting the top teams in it. Top 2 teams move on.
Combining these Regionals gives more wrestling opportunities to all the weight brackets without having to cut any weight classes.
Combining the Regionals promotes fellowship and wrestling in a competitive atmosphere.
Combining the Regionals DOES NOT REDUCE THE OPPORTUNITES FOR THE WRESTLERS TO MAKE IT TO SECTIONALS.

Handles II

Quote from: ramjet on February 13, 2017, 10:38:46 AM
Combining these Regionals does nothing to diminish the numbers of kids going to Sectionals. Top 4 move on.
Combining these Regionals gives the spectators better quality matches and more excitment.
Combining these Regionals gives a greater sense of achievment to those who make it out. The best wrestlers move on!!!!!!
Combining these Regionals goes a long ways in cleaning up the team series and getting the top teams in it. Top 2 teams move on.
Combining these Regionals gives more wrestling opportunities to all the weight brackets without having to cut any weight classes.
Combining the Regionals promotes fellowship and wrestling in a competitive atmosphere.
Combining the Regionals DOES NOT REDUCE THE OPPORTUNITES FOR THE WRESTLERS TO MAKE IT TO SECTIONALS.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to MNBadger, because he has been saying for years to simply eliminate Regionals and create a 2-day Sectional. 8 Sections for each of D1,D2,D3, Top 2 move on. 16 man brackets at state.  Save a weekend of weight management and travel for everyone.

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on February 13, 2017, 10:55:40 AM
Quote from: ramjet on February 13, 2017, 10:38:46 AM

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to MNBadger, because he has been saying for years to simply eliminate Regionals and create a 2-day Sectional. 8 Sections for each of D1,D2,D3, Top 2 move on. 16 man brackets at state.  Save a weekend of weight management and travel for everyone.

I have been that's why I suggested this it does not Take away opportunities like your and MNbadgers plan.....

Handles II

How would it take away opportunities? MNBadger's plan includes all teams and all wrestlers. You really don't know what you are talking about.

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on February 13, 2017, 11:55:38 AM
How would it take away opportunities? MNBadger's plan includes all teams and all wrestlers. You really don't know what you are talking about.

I am not sure why this will not work maybe you can sit down and put together thoughtful counter response to this;

bigG

I think MNBadger framed it as a super regional that would sort of replace conference. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I thought that was a good idea; since usually the teams in your conference are at your regional, and the only reason they wouldn't be is to split up a conference for regionals.

If we replace conference with a super regional, it could kill two birds with one stone and be a more exciting con/regional.

I proposed this exact model in the 70's; before these data devices came out.  ;D

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MNbadger

This is what MN has been doing for years:

The state is divided into 8 sections for each of three divisions (A, AA, AAA)

Weekend One: Team Sections, Dual format, all teams compete (sections range from 10-13 teams)
We run our section team dual on Friday night.
This gives you 8 section champs, making an 8 team bracket at state.

Weekend Two:  Individual Sections Friday night/Saturday, top two qualify for state.  This gives you a 16 man bracket per weight, per division at state.

Weekend Three: "State":  Thursday: Team championship, dual format
                                 Friday/Saturday: Individual Tournament
In years past, the team and indie were run simultaneously and that worked too.
The sections are generally geographical.  You will never eliminate "deserving" wrestlers from getting left out.  Some sections will always be better than others (I know from personal experience).
The tournament is exciting and very well attended.

http://mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=424

You can click on the link and see the brackets for all 8 sections in the three divisions.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

ElectricGuy

Quote from: MNbadger on February 13, 2017, 03:10:37 PM

Weekend One: Team Sections, Dual format, all teams compete (sections range from 10-13 teams)

Weekend Two:  Individual Sections Friday night/Saturday, top two qualify for state.  This gives you a 16 man bracket per weight, per division at state.

The sections are generally geographical.  You will never eliminate "deserving" wrestlers from getting left out.  Some sections will always be better than others (I know from personal experience).

You can click on the link and see the brackets for all 8 sections in the three divisions.

+1 Loved the format!
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

ramjet

Quote from: MNbadger on February 13, 2017, 03:10:37 PM

Too much wrestling during week nights.

Two day tournament a get expensive on programs because of overnight sptravel and staying overnight. We do our series in one day on Staurdays until Madison.

Dual Format requires large venues.

Who cares what MN does this is WISCONSIN WRESTLING!

Handles II

Dual format does not require large venues. It's done all over the state in regular gyms, two mats.

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on February 13, 2017, 03:36:20 PM
Dual format does not require large venues. It's done all over the state in regular gyms, two mats.

OK

Keep in mind I a, only speaking to small simple change not wholesale huge changes....

DocWrestling

Running Friday/Saturday sectionals does not cost more in travel.  It is still 2 days just like it would be traveling two consecutive Saturdays.

Having conference, regionals, sectionals, state, team state spread over 5 weekends is idiotic and does not help the sport's numbers.  The whole thing can be done in 3 weekends!  Minnesota has it right in time commitment and format.  The WIAA has nothing but problems with conferences.  Going to sections would make it easier.

The only teams with possible included expense might be teams up North that have more travel and it might be better to stay over night.  But that might be offset some from travel to and from twice like they do now.  A small percentage of teams would be affected.

Could be forced into changes if the officials shortage continues.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MNbadger

Doc, I do not mean this in an attacking fashion but Mn has vast rural areas too!  They do fine with this system.
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 13, 2017, 06:00:10 PM
Running Friday/Saturday sectionals does not cost more in travel.  It is still 2 days just like it would be traveling two consecutive Saturdays.

Having conference, regionals, sectionals, state, team state spread over 5 weekends is idiotic and does not help the sport's numbers.  The whole thing can be done in 3 weekends!  Minnesota has it right in time commitment and format.  The WIAA has nothing but problems with conferences.  Going to sections would make it easier.

The only teams with possible included expense might be teams up North that have more travel and it might be better to stay over night.  But that might be offset some from travel to and from twice like they do now.  A small percentage of teams would be affected.

Could be forced into changes if the officials shortage continues.