WIAA and possible proposed changes

Started by ElectricGuy, February 10, 2017, 07:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Quote from: Spartan on February 15, 2017, 09:46:10 AM
Wisconsins system is not equitable for all wrestlers, if you noticed last night only the top 4 teams in a sectional D2 and D3  and 2 from D1 made weight and wrestled. We qualify for team state by winning an individual tournament. There are some simple fixes that would make it equitible.

1. Regional weekend wrestle a team tournament for the teams is that sectional. D2 and D3 would be divided in two and the tournament would be seeded the Monday after conference. Each division would bring eight teams to state. More revenue for the WIAA. Less cost on officials.

2. Tuesday would be a sub sectional, wrestle the same bracket down to 4 wrestlers. possibly 3 rounds.

3. Saturday Sectionals

4. Individual State Stays the same

5 Team state, run it like the Clash each division has 8 teams, draw order to see what session each division wrestles, each team wrestles 3 matches and places 1-8. More teams equals more revenue.

This is more equitable with each wrestler making weight on Saturday and Tuesday rather than only the top teams.

I think it work out to  be revenue positive for the WIAA with less stress on the number of qualified officials reffing important matches. Regional's every year puts first year officials on the mat in some very important matches with wrestlers seasons on the line.

JMHO

I like it.   Putting more teams at team start can only help the sport. Whip up more enthusiasm for the team aspect.

DocWrestling

How about something crazy like putting all team state activity after individual tournaments...

Individual sectionals (get rid of regionals)
Individual state (this would be moved up a week or two)
Then switch focus to teams...
Week after individual state start a huge dual tournament that ends with 8 teams or more teams in each division qualifying for state.  Teams could be seeded into huge sectionals.
Weekend after individual state would be sectional qualifying-  all teams enter and get multiple duals so it is worth their time.  getting great matchups for all levels of teams almost like a scramble format-  Great ending to the year with all focus on the team and no worries about kids holding out for injuries.  Everyone laying it on the line for their team.
Then have team state- would be same weekend it is now or even a week earlier!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MNbadger

We are talking about high school here though.There are always difficulties Ramjet, no system is perfect.
Quote from: ramjet on February 16, 2017, 08:45:47 AM
;D Yea but you something I had my son to many MN tournaments in the off season and they all seemed to have the same dffculties as Wisconsin. I never once saw anyone walk on water either.......... ;D
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

ramjet

Quote from: MNbadger on February 16, 2017, 11:26:19 AM
We are talking about high school here though.There are always difficulties Ramjet, no system is perfect.
Quote from: ramjet on February 16, 2017, 08:45:47 AM
;D Yea but you something I had my son to many MN tournaments in the off season and they all seemed to have the same dffculties as Wisconsin. I never once saw anyone walk on water either.......... ;D

Hey look at that we agreed a couple times this week......... ;D

wrestlemania

A lot of good ideas in this thread and I could be in favor of a number of them or modified versions of them. Those of us who live near Minnesota and see the way a proper tournament series is run, want the same for our state. I think such changes (sub-regionals, two regionals per sectional, junior high involvement) would vastly improve the quality of wrestling.

Unfortunately I think ramjet is on to something about why such changes will have a hard time being implemented and it's not because of the WIAA. The WIAA makes rules changes to various sports all the time - if said coaches association really, really wants said changes The prep wrestling coaches are simply not on board with such changes (or they would have happened by now) and frankly I think many of them don't care. They like the tournament series the way it is, especially if they have a route to get as many kids to state as possible. And when we're talking state, we're talking the individual tournament. For many coaches and program, team state is an afterthought. It's always same teams and since they're not involved, why should they care?

One other possible change that could help the sport: officially score the individual tourney and hand out awards.  Would that mean a school made get two first place trophies? Sure but that just means they're the absolute best at two different forms of wrestling: team and individual success. Some programs, especially at the small school level, are not going to have the resources or culture to put forth a room of 25-30 kids plus 14 strong weight classes. So why not reward them if they're at least able to produce five studs who can score maximum points at state (I'm thinking River Valley, who got 96 state team points compared to Lodi's paltry three at individual state yet guess which team is competing for a state title? Hint, it ain't River Valley). Team and individual wrestling are two different sports and should be treated as such.