Cheating-By top programs in the state

Started by wrestler_73, February 03, 2020, 12:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How sick are you about the cheating going on with wrestling programs in our state

Not all...I welcome the competition...it's a free market for students and families
33 (40.7%)
I am ok with it, I wish our coach and henchmen did it!
6 (7.4%)
I don't like it...but meh
15 (18.5%)
I would love to see a homegrown state tournament...tired of over zealous parents bidding out their kids to the top programs
17 (21%)
I wish the WIAA would step in
10 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: February 23, 2020, 01:06:32 PM

DocWrestling

https://www.wissports.net/news_article/show/1084874

Here is article on basketball player.  Eligibility actually was about taking payment and not residency.

I still think residency is a weird thing to interpret.  What if a kid lives in School District A but attends private school for three years.   Can he transfer to School district A for senior year since he always lived in the district?  Private schools don't even have district boundaries?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

tyben

So what would be a current list of top high school teams that are built from district only kids?  Maybe this belongs in a new thread as I don't think it fits under Cheating.  I would say that most programs and maybe all programs that have kids not originally from their district are not cheating but just benefit from kids moving in because they are good programs.

PAUL

Tyben, you bring up some good points.  I didn't read all 8 pages of this, but I think the word "cheating" can be applied pretty loosely.  When I think of cheating I'd think of weight-cutting BS to get around the rules, messing with grades or test scores,  a kid living alone in an apartment someone else is paying for, a kid living with a coach for just a few days a week, stuff like that.  If folks want their kids to get the best coaching and the best programs - or the best music programs or math teachers - who can argue with that? 

bigG

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 07, 2020, 01:34:13 PM
https://www.wissports.net/news_article/show/1084874

Here is article on basketball player.  Eligibility actually was about taking payment and not residency.

I still think residency is a weird thing to interpret.  What if a kid lives in School District A but attends private school for three years.   Can he transfer to School district A for senior year since he always lived in the district?  Private schools don't even have district boundaries?

Private get a lot of advantages. They can take state money without accepting IEP students w/out accommodation. The residency rules are out the window.

BUT, the kid that lives in my town but goes to Jeeziss Mary and Joe academy in (whatever town outside our district) can come back to his public, anytime. One thing I'm struggling with is the kid who was homeschooled for however long, then wants to enter the public as a junior, with no online school transcripts. Grr.

The sad truth is we'll never be able to save kids from parents. Parents who change schools for ports, however many or few, are the least of our problems.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestler_73

Based on the feedback on this topic, it is clear that this is something that people love or are really sick of...for the most part.  Hopefully the discussion will help clean up the cheating. 

madeyson

Is the survey a joke? Bidding out kids to top programs? Now you are inferring there is a monetary transaction occurring? Come on - it is tournament time with some great dual matchups across the state and THIS is the topic that goes to the top? Unbelievable.

ramjet

NoFooForU

the entertainment value of this forum continues to grow.  Getting my moneys worth from it!  HAHAHAHA!  :D :D :D

NoFooForU

Quote from: wrestler_73 on February 18, 2020, 01:07:52 PM
Based on the feedback on this topic, it is clear that this is something that people love or are really sick of...for the most part.  Hopefully the discussion will help clean up the cheating.

How is transferring to a different school/program cheating?  The WIAA says a kid can do it. 

And, no one has any proof of any recruiting violations. 

Stop wasting time on this discussion.

The wrestler

How many people on this topic has kids in wrestling. To me this is not Evan a worth talking about if you don't have a dog in the fight. There is not a person who will risk losing a job for a kid doing it illegal. I know that for a fact. The law was passed for open enrollment. I take it pretty serious
When you people call out kids for cheating. Let it go people. Enough is enough already. Spend your time building up your wrestling program instead of spending your time on this topic. Sounds like you are jealous that no one wants to transfer to your school. Believe me if someone came to your school to wrestle you would not say a word. So do the right thing and drop it already. Thanks to the people that agree with me.

NoFooForU

Quote from: The wrestler on February 18, 2020, 11:44:52 PM
How many people on this topic has kids in wrestling. To me this is not Evan a worth talking about if you don't have a dog in the fight. There is not a person who will risk losing a job for a kid doing it illegal. I know that for a fact. The law was passed for open enrollment. I take it pretty serious
When you people call out kids for cheating. Let it go people. Enough is enough already. Spend your time building up your wrestling program instead of spending your time on this topic. Sounds like you are jealous that no one wants to transfer to your school. Believe me if someone came to your school to wrestle you would not say a word. So do the right thing and drop it already. Thanks to the people that agree with me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
THIS GUY... NAILED IT!!!

The wrestler

Nofoooryou. You are the man. Thank you so much for your post. Makes me feel better that people like you agree with my post. Good luck to your team in the next couple of weeks. Thanks again.

wrestler_73

Well, not everyone wants to deny this is happening.  While some of it is perfectly in the rules, it has some serious ethical questions.  Many people are tired of it, some want us to stop talking about it.  Some don't care.

GradeTough

Great thread. I have been going back and forth for a couple of years on if transfering my son to a good wrestling program is worth it. I have actively explored the idea and I am seriously considering it. Especially knowing the type of team he would be on during his time at the H.S. program.

Comparing the academics, culture, and other factors that appear equal among the schools targeted leaves the wrestling program as the difference. My rationale is why not get a great education and get a great wrestling team atmosphere while you are at it. More enjoyable doing it as a team than strictly an individual.