Cheating-By top programs in the state

Started by wrestler_73, February 03, 2020, 12:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How sick are you about the cheating going on with wrestling programs in our state

Not all...I welcome the competition...it's a free market for students and families
33 (40.7%)
I am ok with it, I wish our coach and henchmen did it!
6 (7.4%)
I don't like it...but meh
15 (18.5%)
I would love to see a homegrown state tournament...tired of over zealous parents bidding out their kids to the top programs
17 (21%)
I wish the WIAA would step in
10 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: February 23, 2020, 01:06:32 PM

wrestler_73

is anyone else sick and tired of the obvious recruiting that is happening by some of the top programs in the state.  Or, do we just shrug our shoulders and let it happen.  These programs have their top volunteers that go to kids tournaments or coach at the state level.  I would love to see how these programs do with their own kids.  I do not think this is good for the overall sport or programs in the state. 

DocWrestling

Maybe it is not actually recruiting but the sheer fact that families are impressed by exactly what you just said.   They have volunteers that take the time to go watch youth wrestling.  That sounds like they are doing the right thing.  They have people helping out the program.  Something that needs to be copied.

Most of the programs you speak of sell themselves with their clubs, coaching staffs, and success.  Some teams have 2 coaches and some have 7.  Let people decide where they want to go.  Geography does not have to be a prison.

I agree it has negative consequences to sports but can never take away individual choice which is often in chasing further success.  Wrestling is probably the sport that it helps the most because having practice partners that push you is probably the factor that most accelerates wrestling success.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrestler_73

That is one way to look at it.  It is not legal however according to the WIAA.  It is recruiting. 

This flexibility in choice does benefit the athlete...and of course their over zealous parent.  It does not help that hard working coach, especially in small schools that are trying their best with what they have and want to play by the rules. 

phennimorefenom

Quote from: wrestler_73 on February 03, 2020, 01:29:33 PM
That is one way to look at it.  It is not legal however according to the WIAA.  It is recruiting. 

This flexibility in choice does benefit the athlete...and of course their over zealous parent.  It does not help that hard working coach, especially in small schools that are trying their best with what they have and want to play by the rules.
give me a break. maybe the coach isnt hard working and thats why they are going to a diff school.  lots of reasons out there.  should an athlete be stuck in a terrible program with a great program just down the road?  whine whine whine

NoFooForU

Where does the WIAA have jurisdiction over youth sports? 

If a community is losing kids, people that live in that community need to look inward to solve their problem.  The problem isn't the communities that positively promote and run good programs.  Nor is the rules around open enrollment.  Stop complaining about recruiting and get involved more in your community

kpugh8680

Quote from: wrestler_73 on February 03, 2020, 12:19:26 PM
is anyone else sick and tired of the obvious recruiting that is happening by some of the top programs in the state.  Or, do we just shrug our shoulders and let it happen.  These programs have their top volunteers that go to kids tournaments or coach at the state level.  I would love to see how these programs do with their own kids.  I do not think this is good for the overall sport or programs in the state.

Please be specific.  What programs do you think are cheating? 

ramjet

Quote from: wrestler_73 on February 03, 2020, 01:29:33 PM

The green in your face shows a tremendous amount jealousy. You would rather cry and complain about successful programs than improve the programs around you. That's is on you not those programs are so jealous of.

I work in many wrestling rooms with varying degrees of success. I can unequivocally tell you they do not recruit. They do not have too. People choose to enroll their kids their that's a personal choice between them and their children.

This post is unfounded and disrespectful to some fantastic and excellent coaches and programs.

If little Johnny wants to win and get better he should start working harder than his opponent and do the extra work it takes to be high level wrestler.......period end of story.

DocWrestling

I don't begrudge anyone from venting frustration when kids leave their home program that would have helped and maybe even helped turn around the program.  Once one leaves more usually follow in future and it can be hard to turn around.  No disagreement there.

But lets not call the people that have it going on cheaters.  I do not believe they are violating WIAA rules.  In the cases I know it is actually the kids that do the recruiting.  One kid tells another kid that they should go to this school where they are going.  Then the kid asks his parents and they discuss.  Some transfer out and many don't.  Everyone wants what they "think" is best for themselves and their child.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

ramjet

I do begrudge them. They are impugning good peoples reputations with no foundation in facts......just jealousy and they want somebody else to fix their issues...

missinghome

You can't blame a kid if he wants to be better and comes from a poor program. But to say it's all done "legal' That's not true.  Lots of "lines crossed" on this thing. One (top) program right now has a kid on the team that was there as a Freshman a different school as a Sophomore now back there as a Junior. Doesn't live in either district (never has) I know of another (top) program that the family rented a house in the district but actually live 2 hours away. I also know of 1 (top program) that has 8 kids not from there district. It's happening all over it's just becoming more noticeable now because it has trickled down to D2 and D3 programs. In D1 you just transfer schools (for the most part) in D2 and D3 you go wrestle for a different town completely. I feel bad for the kids. 99.9% never wrestle after high school anyway and now they have missed out on the best part of there lives. Where is home? Where is school pride? Who do they hang out with in the summer when they don't live where they go to school? I believe someday the majority of those kids regret transferring.

factfinder

Quote from: missinghome on February 03, 2020, 05:27:23 PM
You can't blame a kid if he wants to be better and comes from a poor program. But to say it's all done "legal' That's not true.  Lots of "lines crossed" on this thing. One (top) program right now has a kid on the team that was there as a Freshman a different school as a Sophomore now back there as a Junior. Doesn't live in either district (never has) I know of another (top) program that the family rented a house in the district but actually live 2 hours away. I also know of 1 (top program) that has 8 kids not from there district. It's happening all over it's just becoming more noticeable now because it has trickled down to D2 and D3 programs. In D1 you just transfer schools (for the most part) in D2 and D3 you go wrestle for a different town completely. I feel bad for the kids. 99.9% never wrestle after high school anyway and now they have missed out on the best part of there lives. Where is home? Where is school pride? Who do they hang out with in the summer when they don't live where they go to school? I believe someday the majority of those kids regret transferring.
As long as it is done by the book no one can complain! I agree if it's sketchy then it should be turned in, so instead of complaining turn them in if it upset's you. We all know the program with the kid that has been in and out of the same school but clearly no one cares.

ramjet

Another jealous post with zero proof of anything... please stop.

wrastle63

Quote from: ramjet on February 03, 2020, 06:16:45 PM

There is 100% proof with this post.

ramjet

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 03, 2020, 06:45:36 PM

School choice and open enrollment is legal in the State of Wisconsin and unless you have something other than innuendo it's not evidence. Recruitment letters from coaches that's evidence. Other wise it's cow dung. It a personal choice and family decision whatever the reason it's there business not yours not mine not the person who started this thread.

NoFooForU

Quote from: ramjet on February 03, 2020, 07:17:29 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on February 03, 2020, 06:45:36 PM

School choice and open enrollment is legal in the State of Wisconsin and unless you have something other than innuendo it's not evidence. Recruitment letters from coaches that's evidence. Other wise it's cow dung. It a personal choice and family decision whatever the reason it's there business not yours not mine not the person who started this thread.

Preach, ramjet.