Foxcatcher

Started by TomM, June 01, 2013, 11:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

I don't think it's a matter of being too close to the sport to like any movies about it.

I think it's not really possible to make a movie that portrays the intensity of the sport (which I think is what most of us loved the most about it) in a movie format that is entertaining to the general public.  A somewhat candidly shot documentary might be more representative of the sport - but not many ... other than wrestlers ... would watch it.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

imnofish

Quote from: Ghetto on December 22, 2014, 11:45:19 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on December 22, 2014, 10:47:58 PM
VisionQuest just simply rocks!!!!!

I thought Win/Win was just an awful story line with some good actors in it but I liked the wrestling in Win/Win.

I actually thought it was a good movie. I like Paul Giamatti though. The kid was a former wrestler who had a serious injury and couldnt keep wrestling.

I liked VisionQuest and Win/Win.  I actually purchased a DVD of VQ.  I don't recall ever watching Reversal, though.  Giamatti is the bomb!   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

neutral

I still like VQ th best.
Didn't care for Win/Win at all (even though i like almost anything with Giamati).
Liked Legendary ... except for the pyrotechnics at the end ... and the kid being kinda goofy ... (good story though).

imnofish

Quote from: neutral on December 23, 2014, 09:19:27 AM
I don't think it's a matter of being too close to the sport to like any movies about it.

I think it's not really possible to make a movie that portrays the intensity of the sport (which I think is what most of us loved the most about it) in a movie format that is entertaining to the general public.  A somewhat candidly shot documentary might be more representative of the sport - but not many ... other than wrestlers ... would watch it.

One thing that really hurts is that the Hollywood folks really don't fully understand the sport; then they really give viewers a superficial perspective of it, often technically inaccurate.  To top it off, they believe that their film's marketability is primarily dependent upon a contrived, loosely-connected, interpersonal story line that comes off as being pretty hokey.  To be fair, this is also done with other sports, because most of these Hollywood types couldn't differentiate between a jockstrap, a headgear, and a baseball bat.  
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

Quote from: imnofish on December 23, 2014, 09:55:42 AM
Quote from: neutral on December 23, 2014, 09:19:27 AM

One thing that really hurts is that the Hollywood folks really don't fully understand the sport; then they really give viewers a superficial perspective of it, often technically inaccurate.  To top it off, they believe that their film's marketability is primarily dependent upon a contrived, loosely-connected, interpersonal story line that comes off as being pretty hokey.  To be fair, this is also done with other sports, because most of these Hollywood types couldn't differentiate between a jockstrap, a headgear, and a baseball bat.  

Any sports movie has that "this ain't real" feel to it. Even friday Night Lights and Remember the Titans were football made for Hollywood.

Don't expect a bunch of directors and actors to "get it."
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

neutral

I don't know about that.

Hoosiers ... 42 ... the Replacements ... Brian's song ... Lake Placid ... Ali ... Cinderella Man ... the Fighter ... Raging Bull (all pretty decent at portraying the sports) - but those are sports most people have a "feel" for (other than Lake Placid ... and everybody over 35 relates to that one).

Wrestling is just different.  No way you can get a feel for it ... without having experienced it.

bigG

Yes, but are you a basketball, pro-football, boxing connoisseur?

I might think those movies are right on the nuts. But maybe it's because I don't know as much about boxing, Basketball, pro football, etc.

You tend to pick apart your own sport a little more.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on December 23, 2014, 03:17:11 PM

I might think those movies are right on the nuts. But maybe it's because I don't know as much about boxing, Basketball, pro football, etc.

+ 1  I agree, but I can also see where neutral is coming from, because the public has been vicariously overexposed to those sports (via visual media) that most of us mistakenly overestimate our understanding of them.  You don't have to be an expert, in order to assume expertise.  

neutral

Quote from: imnofish on December 23, 2014, 05:44:11 PM
Quote from: bigG on December 23, 2014, 03:17:11 PM

I agree with both these points.

+ 1  I agree, but I can also see where neutral is coming from, because the public has been vicariously overexposed to those sports (via visual media) that most of us mistakenly overestimate our understanding of them.  You don't have to be an expert, in order to assume expertise.  

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wrestling135

Does  anyone have any idea where I can see this movie in the Madison area??

madeyson

Looks like it is opening in Appleton tonight - January 16.

Chuck

Bay park cinema Green Bay tonight also.
Hopefully finish the book this weekend, then the movie.

boowrestle

thought it was in madison about a week ago ,i have heard will be in the dells in early Feb.
you can run but you cannot hide.

woody53

Quote from: wrestling135 on January 15, 2015, 11:00:37 PM
Does  anyone have any idea where I can see this movie in the Madison area??
It has been at Sundance Cinema behind Hilldale.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!