Post Season

Started by Hayward, January 04, 2021, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

Maybe the question should be what facilities could host if another school provided tournament administration.

DocWrestling

Quote from: bulldog on January 08, 2021, 12:24:06 PM

Maybe my numbers are off but it looks like 560 wrestlers competed in the 2020 state tournament over the course of 3 days. Why couldn't the WIAA have a one day tournament and get it done?.

This is the true problem.  Most school districts won't even allow that many kids to come into school at once and that is in a controlled environment with everyone 6ft apart.

School boards have set limits and then county health boards have set limits.  Some areas cannot get around that even with a supportive AD, booster club, and wrestling community
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

mojo123

Apologize if I missed this, but for the sites needing hosts for team sectionals, is team state going on per usual? Winner of each regional faceoff and 8 teams at team state?

DocWrestling

It is horrible if what Mr. Spray says and this is about mandating fans to collect money.

Certainly can go to no fans or one per wrestler if that is any kind of hang-up.  It seems that charging schools a team entry fee to split the costs to break even would be doable.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bulldog

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on January 08, 2021, 01:01:11 PM
Many schools are being told no because of their capacity limits and the WIAA requiring that 4 fans/wrestler is part of that number.   8+ teams of 25 people per team plus add in officials, workers, etc and then 4 fans/athlete and you are already over 650 people.  Many schools won't let more than 15% capacity, so you'd need a Dang large gym/fieldhouse to even get the ok from the WIAA. ......and that is assuming your district will even allow it.   

THIS will be what ends the season without a state tourney.  Doesn't even pay to argue about 8 or 16 kids making it when they can't even wrestle in the tourney to get "there."

That seriously changes the discussion and I did not catch the 4 fans per wrestler clause. So is the solution to say no fans and limit the number of coaching staff? Or is the WIAA not even willing to discuss that option?

I know the tournament in the Dells had a limit on spectators. I don't know what it was.

Numbers

Quote from: Tims on January 08, 2021, 11:12:29 AM
Someone will need to explain to me how the WIAA thinks 8 kids per bracket per weight while each participant having 2-4 fans in attendance is somehow medically acceptable in these times rather than having 16 per weight and no fans.  If information  I received about the reasoning for having the fans offset the cost of the 8 participants then that is a shame.

If it is about the cost then we need to find a way to offset that cost.  It's about the kids is it not?  It's the reason why schools offer sports and the sole reason the WIAA exists.

Tim Spray

It is great that the WIAA gave priority for hosting to schools that would allow 4 fans per wrestler.  If sites are still needed,  the numbers spectator of numbers should be reduced to 3, then 2, then 1, then zero. 

If some team wants to not compete at regionals because of fan restrictions, that is a choice.  Allow the teams that want to compete finish the season.

Nice to be a winner!

The wrestling world has given up a lot of concessions this season. 
When is enough enough?
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE CURE IS WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM.

8 athletes at State is a deal-breaker. 

Just cancel, we will survive.  But to cut State in half and crush the dreams of 50% while catering to the elite is unacceptable.

A 16-man bracket is a one day event.  This is a no brainer. 
16x14=224

8x14=112 + 2 fans each = 336

NO FANS!!!   

Let the athletes realize their dream.   

Tims

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on January 07, 2021, 08:50:05 AM

Notes:

Where is the WIAA at with the State Tournament Planning?
•   Wade and Heidi have looked at regionals - too difficult to move from 8 sectionals to 4
o   Will keep 8 sectionals
o   Right now, Wade is taking the champion out of sectionals only
o   Wendall asked if we can take top two from regionals and then two from each sectional - wade responded that it's been stated that we're taking only 8 kids to state so in keeping with 8 sectionals, that means only champion to state
o   Wade was very clear that we're only taking 8 to sectionals in each division and only 8 to state in each division
o   Randy asked if there was a running total of how many schools would be in each division.  Wade responded that we're waiting on Madison.  MPS has stated that they won't be participating in winter sports.  Oregon, Verona were listed as trying to start winter sports.  He anticipates Dane Co schools will be added in.

Pete asked about Host sites
•   Wade remarked we only have 130 officials - will be able to cover regionals but no extras
•   Many schools have indicated that they're willing to host only if there aren't spectators
o   WIAA is trying to get schools to allow 2 spectators per wrestler
o   WIAA is cognizant of area health department limiting capacity limits - wrestlers, coaches, workers, refs, and possibly fans
o   Many hosts may not be able to host now because of Covid
•   Randy asked what the total number was for hosts in terms of capacity - mentioned that for Volleyball may have been 400.
o   Wade said no 400 number
o   Hosting was allowed by WIAA based on 4 spectators per participant - if schools couldn't accommodate that, then they weren't allowed to host.  This was a consideration in the fall hosting.

Pete asked if there was more of an issue over Sectionals than Regionals
•   Wade said no - it's more of an issue over spectators.
•   Pete followed up about not allowing spectators if we could run a normal state tournament series.  Wade reasserted that with 8 qualifiers from Regionals and 8 from Sectionals, we can do it.  Wade also mentioned that he's closing in on 3 separate host sites for state.
•   Wade admitted that wrestling is not fighting the ability of wrestling to take place, it's fighting the perception of close contact because of the nature of wrestling
•   Pete followed up that if you run 3 sites for state, if we're able to have the same number of participants.  Wade said that the state tournament needs to be finished in 1 day.  Adding more wrestlers would mean more rounds and thus more days.  The WIAA's goal is to get this down to 1 day.

Pete asked where the Sports Medical Advisory Committee sits on spectators and capacity at sites
•   Wade said that all decisions are local based on local health boards on capacity.  The medical advisory acknowledges perception for wrestling is the main issue.
•   Sites that have offered to host state: Kaukauna, WI Rapids, Adams-Friendship, Wausau West
•   Sites are going to be governed by local control.  The SMAC is going to advise over the health of participants.

Pete asked if there will be a change for the number of schools allowed at an event come postseason.  Pete mentioned that we now are only allowed 4.
•   Wade said that he's planted the seed that we're fighting perception
•   Wade said that the SMAC will decide on masks - likely that masks will be required and no allowance on health issues - no mask/no participation (Forfeit)
•   Wade believes that SMAC will maintain masks to wrestle

Wendall asked how close we are to disseminating information about postseason to coaches.
•   Wade said that anything we've talked about can be discussed
•   8 to state, masks will be mandated

Pete asked about revenue for schools
•   Wade said that nothing financial hasn't been brought up yet.  Wade said that they're just talking about opportunities for kids.
•   Wade reassured that if wrestling doesn't happen, it will be because of Covid not finances
•   Wendall asked if streaming is available for State, this would be through Rush Media who has exclusive rights.  Streaming at Regional and Sectional sites will be required at host sites if spectators aren't involved.

Pete asked if Dave Black reached out to WIAA about WWF helping host at Woodside
•   Dave hasn't reached out to Wade.
•   Wade doesn't think he'll be able to get one site for state, regardless of the venue.
•   Pete forwarded Dave's email to Wade.  Wade followed up again saying that he doesn't believe one site is an option.  He was very clear on this.
•   Wendall asked if team state will follow individual state mandates - 3 different sites rather than one site

Wendall asked if regionals/sectional assignments will be redrawn given the number of schools participating
•   Wade said nothing is changing - doesn't anticipate any change other than 8 qualifying from each
•   Wade views this as a losing proposition - gets into issues of why certain teams were moved versus others.
•   Wade reasserted that this is a question about competition.  Wade is only interested in opportunity.  Mentioned that he's hopeful that we're going to have a regional tournament.  Wade understands this may not be 'fair'.  He understands that there will be some areas that are tougher than others.

Wade asserted that we're going ahead with regionals, as of right now.  Schools are starting to fill out information and getting ready.  The WIAA is in the future without changes EXCEPT that there will be 8 to sectionals and 8 to state.
•   Wade mentioned more schools are pulling out of hosting team sectionals than individual
•   Wade is more concerned about finding hosts for the team than individuals - may be an option for getting help from WWF?

What can WWCA do to help out or assist the WIAA?
•   At this point, there really isn't anything that WWCA can help with.  The SMAC is going to make a final decision on these issues.
•   Pete asked when a decision is expected - Wade is talking to the doctors next week for their recommendations.  Next week is most likely given their next meeting is Jan. 28.  If they don't want to do regionals, Wade will request an individual state in May/June.  Has no problem opening a few weeks of practice in May and having State in June - give kids opportunities.

Ryan asked about the negative perceptions of wrestling that Wade has mentioned.  Asked what we can we do as coaches and the WWCA about changing the negative perception of wrestling.
•   Negative Perceptions: Weight Loss, Skin Conditions, Cauliflower Ear,
Very Close contact
•   Positives: Healthy living, Health and Welfare

Some of the information about the fans are in these notes. 

littleguy301

Many schools are being told no because of their capacity limits and the WIAA requiring that 4 fans/wrestler is part of that number.   8+ teams of 25 people per team plus add in officials, workers, etc and then 4 fans/athlete and you are already over 650 people.  Many schools won't let more than 15% capacity, so you'd need a Dang large gym/fieldhouse to even get the ok from the WIAA. ......and that is assuming your district will even allow it.   

THIS will be what ends the season without a state tourney.  Doesn't even pay to argue about 8 or 16 kids making it when they can't even wrestle in the tourney to get "there."

All year they have limited fans but now they want 4 fans per.......why is that? They did not have it for volleyball.

Wade not looking at the dells because why?
The WWF could help because they have the dome booked I believe.

Why is the wiaa now changing rules and making it tougher than it should be?

There are alot of schools that are not having in school sessions so there should not be a concern as spreading, correct.

Maybe this is the year the wiaa needs to back off making money and do what is right. If you look at their records they have money for a rainy day with all the years of running state stuff.

Also we are forgetting that it still has to pass the medical board.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 08, 2021, 02:11:05 PM

All year they have limited fans but now they want 4 fans per.......why is that? They did not have it for volleyball.

Wade not looking at the dells because why?
The WWF could help because they have the dome booked I believe.

Why is the wiaa now changing rules and making it tougher than it should be?

There are alot of schools that are not having in school sessions so there should not be a concern as spreading, correct.

Maybe this is the year the wiaa needs to back off making money and do what is right. If you look at their records they have money for a rainy day with all the years of running state stuff.

Also we are forgetting that it still has to pass the medical board.

they did it for FB and I'm guessing they will for BB. If you wanted to host a playoff game, WIAA required 4 fans in attendance. Our conference had limited to 2 fans all regular season but allowed 4 for the playoffs.

factfinder

So I am totally confused!!

What are the missing pieces to being able to have a state?

How many regional locations are needed?

What would the state format need to be?

Would each division needs its own location?

Thoughts on next season!
With all the confusing communication to this point and most likely beyond what do we think the damage is to our wrestling enrollment? As I look at track wrestling for results I am seeing an obvious high FF rate. Some of the FF can be explained away do to Covid quarantine requirements but when I look at the team rosters they look much lighter then normal.  My fear is it will take years and years to get the numbers back to what they were and if the WIAA doesn't come out with a positive message on a State series we will lose more kids we may never see back.
My assumption is we will see 10-20% of the teams needing to Co-op to put out a team next year at the pace its headed.

ChargerDad

Quote from: Nice to be a winner! on January 08, 2021, 01:27:35 PM
The wrestling world has given up a lot of concessions this season. 
When is enough enough?
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE CURE IS WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM.

8 athletes at State is a deal-breaker. 

Just cancel, we will survive.  But to cut State in half and crush the dreams of 50% while catering to the elite is unacceptable.

A 16-man bracket is a one day event.  This is a no brainer. 
16x14=224

8x14=112 + 2 fans each = 336

NO FANS!!!   

Let the athletes realize their dream.

That's a little bit dramatic!!  Taking away the opportunity for 50% of the kids isn't acceptable, so let's just take away the chance for 100% of them??  I understand the desire to have full brackets and fans, and to not stop fighting for that, but saying 50% is so bad that 0% is better is kinda crazy.

Numbers

Money should not be a factor in reducing the number of state qualifiers or changing any part of the state series.  Post the projected budget deficits by area and total.  I expect the wrestling community may solve any financial deficit by donations to the WIAA or hosting schools.

There are enough people reading this board to make things happen.  People want to work with the WIAA for the athlete's benefit.  That is why many want the regular amount of state qualifiers.

padre

Quote from: Numbers on January 08, 2021, 05:55:20 PM
Money should not be a factor in reducing the number of state qualifiers or changing any part of the state series.  Post the projected budget deficits by area and total.  I expect the wrestling community may solve any financial deficit by donations to the WIAA or hosting schools.

There are enough people reading this board to make things happen.  People want to work with the WIAA for the athlete's benefit.  That is why many want the regular amount of state qualifiers.

You apparently have never tried giving reasoning with the WIAA. 

Numbers

Quote from: padre on January 08, 2021, 06:17:44 PM
Quote from: Numbers on January 08, 2021, 05:55:20 PM

You apparently have never tried giving reasoning with the WIAA.

Have not.  Also realize that you cannot work with people if they do not want to work with you.

But in this difficult season, if it is about the kids, there are people that want to help give as many kids as possible the same experience they had as wrestlers at the WIAA State Tournament.