Post Season

Started by Hayward, January 04, 2021, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayward

We are now 27 days out from the date WIAA has communicated for Regionals.  When are we going to hear more information on the plan?

smitty71

What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

chucker66

They are working on it.  Ref's were already sent availability questionnaire's.

Hayward

My understanding is email went out to the WWCA about post season.  For Division 1 we will have 8 regionals and 8 sectionals with only the winner from each sectional going to state.  That is the good news....at least we are having a state if the sports medical advisory approves next week.  The bad news is nothing is planned to be realigned.   Some sectionals will have 16 teams while others might have as few as 9, based on current teams that have skinfolded.  I don't know who or why this was decided since all fall sports realigned based on what schools were going forward.  Once again, wrestling seems to be treated different then everyone else.

Hoping I am wrong on this...

Wrestling Novice

Absolutely stupid if only the winner goes on.  This is a typical WiAA move. 

Can they all retire already.

If ADs and coaches don't push back on this, there is no hope.

bulldog

IMO...there are people at the WIAA that do not understand wrestling. And some of these people are making decisions for wrestling. In the case of realignment it would mean someone would have to take the time to understand how the current plan doesn't make sense. I wonder if some smart person took the time to suggest a new plan and presented it to the WIAA if they would take that information under consideration.

It is easy to say the WIAA doesn't have their crap together and they ignore wrestling. But has wrestling stepped up and offered a new plan that is supported by the coaches and the ADs? My experinece with the WIAA is they say they do what the ADs direct them to do. The ADs (I have spoken to) say they take direction from the coaches.

So...would it be possible to draft a realignment plan, shoot it off to all D1 coaches (D2 and D3 if realignment is needed as well). Ask for their input. Ask them for their ADs support, Then send the proposed plan to the WIAA. Maybe this has been done already...or maybe we just want to inappropriate term1 about the WIAA and not offer a solution??

I am open to thoughts....

Wrestling Novice

I did get confirmation from Wade that it would be 8 per weight class.  What a complete joke.  This will be devastating to many great wrestlers. 

bigoil

Quote from: Hayward on January 06, 2021, 11:08:04 AM
My understanding is email went out to the WWCA about post season.  For Division 1 we will have 8 regionals and 8 sectionals with only the winner from each sectional going to state.  That is the good news....at least we are having a state if the sports medical advisory approves next week.  The bad news is nothing is planned to be realigned.   Some sectionals will have 16 teams while others might have as few as 9, based on current teams that have skinfolded.  I don't know who or why this was decided since all fall sports realigned based on what schools were going forward.  Once again, wrestling seems to be treated different then everyone else.

Hoping I am wrong on this...
8 regionals feeding 8 sectionals doesn't make a lot of sense. If you are going to hold a state tournament, taking 2 (or 3 kids D2/D3) doesn't seem like a stretch especially if held in separate locations with limited attendance, it would be the same size as a sectional.

bigoil

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on January 06, 2021, 12:34:34 PM
I did get confirmation from Wade that it would be 8 per weight class.  What a complete joke.  This will be devastating to many great wrestlers.
what about D2/3? 8 or will there now be four?

DarkKnight

I know it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

If you want to cuss, cuss to your friend via text. Talk to your dog, wife, bartender,  whatever.

state title contenders still get their shot.

Yea, I'd like 16 in each division to get to state also, but it doesn't seem it'll go that way, so we have to accept that.

Next year should be back to normal, barring any unforeseen apocalypse or other catastrophes

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: bigoil on January 06, 2021, 12:38:17 PM

No specifics other than 8 per weight class for sectionals and state.   

Again, a kick to the nether regions of all high school wrestling athletes. 

wrastle63

Better be at least 8. What are they going to do a round robin with the top 4? lol

bigoil

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 06, 2021, 01:00:02 PM
Better be at least 8. What are they going to do a round robin with the top 4? lol
agreed but there are only 4 sectionals as of now

Numbers

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 06, 2021, 12:55:51 PM

If you want to cuss, cuss to your friend via text. Talk to your dog, wife, bartender,  whatever.

Yea, I'd like 16 in each division to get to state also, but it doesn't seem it'll go that way, so we have to accept that.

Next year should be back to normal, barring any unforeseen apocalypse or other catastrophes

Better than nothing?  Not sure that get 50% support.

This compares to passing with a D.  The WIAA is almost failing and some think that is okay.

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 06, 2021, 12:55:51 PM

That's the thing, it doesn't have to be accepted.  If there is enough push back, we can get it changed.  Think of all the work these kids put in.  Isn't it fair to ask that the coaches and ADs fight for the student athlete?

There is no reason why they need to reduce the number of qualifiers.  Zero.