Post Season

Started by Hayward, January 04, 2021, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on January 07, 2021, 09:17:38 AM
Boy, Wade sure is flexible.  I mean great job talking to the people that know how to get it done. 

If anything needs to change, it's those in charge of the WIAA.   
FFS, if outsiders can get big tournaments done in a day, no reason why the WIAA can't.

It's laughable and embarrassing.  Pure laziness on the WIAA's part to not adapt.  How about we don't use the WIAA and just go through the WWF or ask USA Wrestling for assistance? 

Numbers

Quote from: Numbers on January 07, 2021, 09:09:28 AM
Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on January 07, 2021, 08:16:24 AM
https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2021/D1-Wrestling-2021.pdf

In D1, 4 of 8 Individual Sectionals are now in need of a host.    4 of 8 Team Sectionals are now in need of a host.  7 of 16 Regional sites are now in need of a host.  Not a good sign for D1. 

https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2021/D2-Wrestling-2021.pdf

In D2, it looks better.   1 of 4 Individual Sectional sites are needed.  1 of 4 Team Sectional sites are needed. ZERO Regional sites of 16 are needed.

https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2021/D3-Wrestling-2021.pdf

In D3, 1 of 4 Individual Sectional sites are needed. ZERO Team Sectional sites are needed.  2 of 16 Regional sites are needed.

If the WIAA would work with the wrestling people on this forum and allow the restructure of tournament assignments, everything could be resolved by next week. 

1 day per division state tournaments (with the regular qualification process) brackets could work by changing consolation to fifth place due to the daily match limit. 

Let the non-semifinalists wrestle for 5th instead of eliminating over 200 qualifiers because of the possible match limit of wrestling back to 3rd.

And remember these "extra" 200 qualifiers would be split between three separate locations.  Not talking about a huge increase in risk here.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Hayward on January 07, 2021, 09:22:40 AM
•   Negative Perceptions: Weight Loss, Skin Conditions, Cauliflower Ear,

What does this have to do with Covid and less opportunities for the kids this year??

A JOKE!!!!  I would like to think the representation from the WWCA would address these issues and put them to bed. 

SayNo2Stalling

Great job WIAA!!!  Glad you thought this out and are looking at all options.  NOT!!!

Wrestling Novice

I did send an email to our AD and coaches asking them to fight back on this. 

Our student athletes have fought for the school, it's time that the school fights for the student athlete. 

I recommend that you all do the same. 

beastmode

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on January 07, 2021, 08:50:05 AM

Notes:

Where is the WIAA at with the State Tournament Planning?
•   Wade and Heidi have looked at regionals - too difficult to move from 8 sectionals to 4
o   Will keep 8 sectionals
o   Right now, Wade is taking the champion out of sectionals only
o   Wendall asked if we can take top two from regionals and then two from each sectional - wade responded that it's been stated that we're taking only 8 kids to state so in keeping with 8 sectionals, that means only champion to state
o   Wade was very clear that we're only taking 8 to sectionals in each division and only 8 to state in each division
o   Randy asked if there was a running total of how many schools would be in each division.  Wade responded that we're waiting on Madison.  MPS has stated that they won't be participating in winter sports.  Oregon, Verona were listed as trying to start winter sports.  He anticipates Dane Co schools will be added in.

Pete asked about Host sites
•   Wade remarked we only have 130 officials - will be able to cover regionals but no extras
•   Many schools have indicated that they're willing to host only if there aren't spectators
o   WIAA is trying to get schools to allow 2 spectators per wrestler
o   WIAA is cognizant of area health department limiting capacity limits - wrestlers, coaches, workers, refs, and possibly fans
o   Many hosts may not be able to host now because of Covid
•   Randy asked what the total number was for hosts in terms of capacity - mentioned that for Volleyball may have been 400.
o   Wade said no 400 number
o   Hosting was allowed by WIAA based on 4 spectators per participant - if schools couldn't accommodate that, then they weren't allowed to host.  This was a consideration in the fall hosting.

Pete asked if there was more of an issue over Sectionals than Regionals
•   Wade said no - it's more of an issue over spectators.
•   Pete followed up about not allowing spectators if we could run a normal state tournament series.  Wade reasserted that with 8 qualifiers from Regionals and 8 from Sectionals, we can do it.  Wade also mentioned that he's closing in on 3 separate host sites for state.
•   Wade admitted that wrestling is not fighting the ability of wrestling to take place, it's fighting the perception of close contact because of the nature of wrestling
•   Pete followed up that if you run 3 sites for state, if we're able to have the same number of participants.  Wade said that the state tournament needs to be finished in 1 day.  Adding more wrestlers would mean more rounds and thus more days.  The WIAA's goal is to get this down to 1 day.

Pete asked where the Sports Medical Advisory Committee sits on spectators and capacity at sites
•   Wade said that all decisions are local based on local health boards on capacity.  The medical advisory acknowledges perception for wrestling is the main issue.
•   Sites that have offered to host state: Kaukauna, WI Rapids, Adams-Friendship, Wausau West
•   Sites are going to be governed by local control.  The SMAC is going to advise over the health of participants.

Pete asked if there will be a change for the number of schools allowed at an event come postseason.  Pete mentioned that we now are only allowed 4.
•   Wade said that he's planted the seed that we're fighting perception
•   Wade said that the SMAC will decide on masks - likely that masks will be required and no allowance on health issues - no mask/no participation (Forfeit)
•   Wade believes that SMAC will maintain masks to wrestle

Wendall asked how close we are to disseminating information about postseason to coaches.
•   Wade said that anything we've talked about can be discussed
•   8 to state, masks will be mandated

Pete asked about revenue for schools
•   Wade said that nothing financial hasn't been brought up yet.  Wade said that they're just talking about opportunities for kids.
•   Wade reassured that if wrestling doesn't happen, it will be because of Covid not finances
•   Wendall asked if streaming is available for State, this would be through Rush Media who has exclusive rights.  Streaming at Regional and Sectional sites will be required at host sites if spectators aren't involved.

Pete asked if Dave Black reached out to WIAA about WWF helping host at Woodside
•   Dave hasn't reached out to Wade.
•   Wade doesn't think he'll be able to get one site for state, regardless of the venue.
•   Pete forwarded Dave's email to Wade.  Wade followed up again saying that he doesn't believe one site is an option.  He was very clear on this.
•   Wendall asked if team state will follow individual state mandates - 3 different sites rather than one site

Wendall asked if regionals/sectional assignments will be redrawn given the number of schools participating
•   Wade said nothing is changing - doesn't anticipate any change other than 8 qualifying from each
•   Wade views this as a losing proposition - gets into issues of why certain teams were moved versus others.
•   Wade reasserted that this is a question about competition.  Wade is only interested in opportunity.  Mentioned that he's hopeful that we're going to have a regional tournament.  Wade understands this may not be 'fair'.  He understands that there will be some areas that are tougher than others.

Wade asserted that we're going ahead with regionals, as of right now.  Schools are starting to fill out information and getting ready.  The WIAA is in the future without changes EXCEPT that there will be 8 to sectionals and 8 to state.
•   Wade mentioned more schools are pulling out of hosting team sectionals than individual
•   Wade is more concerned about finding hosts for the team than individuals - may be an option for getting help from WWF?

What can WWCA do to help out or assist the WIAA?
•   At this point, there really isn't anything that WWCA can help with.  The SMAC is going to make a final decision on these issues.
•   Pete asked when a decision is expected - Wade is talking to the doctors next week for their recommendations.  Next week is most likely given their next meeting is Jan. 28.  If they don't want to do regionals, Wade will request an individual state in May/June.  Has no problem opening a few weeks of practice in May and having State in June - give kids opportunities.

Ryan asked about the negative perceptions of wrestling that Wade has mentioned.  Asked what we can we do as coaches and the WWCA about changing the negative perception of wrestling.
•   Negative Perceptions: Weight Loss, Skin Conditions, Cauliflower Ear,
Very Close contact
•   Positives: Healthy living, Health and Welfare

I assume the above bolded statement is only for Division 1??? Division 2 and 3 would advance 2 per sectional?
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

panther93

This is painful to read.  So as I understand it we are on hold until the SMAC makes a decision? I hate to say it, but I'm not holding my breath for a positive outcome.  I really think the SMAC will take the extremly causious approach as they have done all year and keep it shut done. 

I really hope that they take a look at the way large tournaments have been taking place in our state all winter. 

Let the kids wrestle, I don't care about fans.  This should be about the athletes.

bigoil

SMAC has allowed wrestling to happen and all the other sports so I don't see them shutting it down from what we know now. Obviously wades comment about the only thing shutting it down being Covid is very real if there are massive outbreaks tied directly to wrestling.

bigoil

With a single division, why does the WIAA think a 16 man bracket can't be run in one day. So maybe not a true wrestle back to 3rd but I think that would be less sacrifice than 200 some wrestlers not making it too state.

littleguy301

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on January 07, 2021, 09:25:17 AM
Quote from: Wrestling Novice on January 07, 2021, 09:17:38 AM
Boy, Wade sure is flexible.  I mean great job talking to the people that know how to get it done. 

If anything needs to change, it's those in charge of the WIAA.   
FFS, if outsiders can get big tournaments done in a day, no reason why the WIAA can't.

It's laughable and embarrassing.  Pure laziness on the WIAA's part to not adapt.  How about we don't use the WIAA and just go through the WWF or ask USA Wrestling for assistance?

I have to agree on your post!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

wrastle63

Quote from: bigoil on January 07, 2021, 10:51:54 AM
With a single division, why does the WIAA think a 16 man bracket can't be run in one day. So maybe not a true wrestle back to 3rd but I think that would be less sacrifice than 200 some wrestlers not making it too state.
Where is Woody when you need him to give us a answer if it is possible.

bigoil

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 07, 2021, 11:01:54 AM
Quote from: bigoil on January 07, 2021, 10:51:54 AM
Where is Woody when you need him to give us a answer if it is possible.

Plenty of tournaments run a 16 man bracket in one day. Bayport does I know that.

Wis-Mallard

SMAC/WIAA allowed limited football season with no state tournament. I would assume the perceived close contact of wrestling is similar to football in their eyes. WWF can run seeded state tournament in 1 day. Kids can do virtual learning for 2 weeks after tournament if school district is concerned about Covid. Would schools/WIAA allow for continued training at school for WWF event? Seems like this would possible since you can do 2 non-school events.

bigoil

Quote from: Wis-Mallard on January 07, 2021, 12:10:09 PM
SMAC/WIAA allowed limited football season with no state tournament. I would assume the perceived close contact of wrestling is similar to football in their eyes. WWF can run seeded state tournament in 1 day. Kids can do virtual learning for 2 weeks after tournament if school district is concerned about Covid. Would schools/WIAA allow for continued training at school for WWF event? Seems like this would possible since you can do 2 non-school events.

there was a state tournament, just not a championship because time constraints. week 9 of the FB season was the same week as a normal level 5 state championship week. WFCA decided it was more important to have 7 game reg season than figure out how to have a four game reg season and a true 5 week playoffs.

Wis-Mallard

It was a regional championship in football IMO.