Post Season

Started by Hayward, January 04, 2021, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downtown

So all the "great wrestlers" that take second at their sectional and go on to wrestle in the state championship or even win it, it is just tough luck for them?  If this was in place when Malachi Root was wrestling he would have won a couple of state titles since the guy he lost to in the finals I believe twice was the same guy he beat the week before to win sectionals.  Your thinking is flawed and frankly incredibly immature.  The state championship isn't for just the champion.  I would argue it is more for the qualifiers and their community.

Keaton Kluever

Quote from: downtown on January 06, 2021, 09:24:44 PM
So all the "great wrestlers" that take second at their sectional and go on to wrestle in the state championship or even win it, it is just tough luck for them?  If this was in place when Malachi Root was wrestling he would have won a couple of state titles since the guy he lost to in the finals I believe twice was the same guy he beat the week before to win sectionals.  Your thinking is flawed and frankly incredibly immature.  The state championship isn't for just the champion.  I would argue it is more for the qualifiers and their community.
I agree it isn't just about the champion but if we're going to talk about it being completely devastating then we're lying to ourselves. We have the opportunity as a state to have a state tournament, if that's not happening that's devastating. having 8 less wrestlers is not devastating due to the circumstances. yes there will be wrestlers who don't make it, heck If it was me I would've been down only twice.To even have the opportunity to wrestle this year is way more important than having a full 16. Now is it possible I bet it is but if 8 is the proposed amount then that's what it is. Like I said great wrestlers find ways to win and sometimes that's the way the world works. There will always be the weaker vs stronger sectional where someone doesn't make it out or someone does when they shouldn't have. It's one year hopefully and as a competitor I'd much rather have the opportunity to qualify and win state with only one person from my sectional qualifying compared to no post season at all.

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: Keaton Kluever on January 06, 2021, 09:42:39 PM
I agree it isn't just about the champion but if we're going to talk about it being completely devastating then we're lying to ourselves. We have the opportunity as a state to have a state tournament, if that's not happening that's devastating. having 8 less wrestlers is not devastating due to the circumstances. yes there will be wrestlers who don't make it, heck If it was me I would've been down only twice.To even have the opportunity to wrestle this year is way more important than having a full 16. Now is it possible I bet it is but if 8 is the proposed amount then that's what it is. Like I said great wrestlers find ways to win and sometimes that's the way the world works. There will always be the weaker vs stronger sectional where someone doesn't make it out or someone does when they shouldn't have. It's one year hopefully and as a competitor I'd much rather have the opportunity to qualify and win state with only one person from my sectional qualifying compared to no post season at all.

But there is absolutely no reason to change the format.  Wrestling has gone on all summer into the winter.  Tournaments have been run with great success.  It's about the kids.  Give the kids the opportunity to wrestle.  Jesus, just take the winner of each regional and move on to state.  Simple.  Less chance of contamination.  Three separate tournaments.  Everyone is happy. 

Numbers

Anyone think KK is looking for a job with the WIAA?

padre

While I agree somewhat that something is better than nothing the issue remains that there's absolutely no reason to cut down the qualifiers.  It's not really about the 1 percent that are going to continue to work hard and make it...there are so many others that understand they aren't taking home a title but have had that dream of being a qualifier their whole lives and for 99 percent of those seniors they can now look at that sectional and know it's not going to happen. 

Unfortunately, like usual reading about the meeting it is in Wade's head that there will be 8 representatives and to me that means it's not going to change.  The problem is myself and I'm sure others have tried to stick up for what they thought was right in the past...and most of us are much more aware of what's good for wrestling...but it's like driving into a wall...no changing anyone's kind.

wrastle63

It's not just 8 kids. It's 8x14 weight classes. Your losing 112 D1 state qualifiers and if it is 8 for D2/D3 you are losing 112 again. So 224 kids who go to school, get their work done, keep their grades up, practice, watch their weight, wear their mask, and follow the protocols lose an opportunity that for some of them can be life changing/alerting. They look at themselves different and can be put on a different path because of it.

Hayward

Who can we talk to or what can be done to change the current plan?  I was told the WWCA has no power at any of the meetings.  I talked to an AD and they don't even know what is going on and say the WWCA should be pushing for the change.   So if it is not the AD's and not the coaches who is it?  No wonder all the complaining on the forum over the years and nothing changes.

littleguy301

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on January 06, 2021, 10:33:51 PM

But there is absolutely no reason to change the format.  Wrestling has gone on all summer into the winter.  Tournaments have been run with great success.  It's about the kids.  Give the kids the opportunity to wrestle.  Jesus, just take the winner of each regional and move on to state.  Simple.  Less chance of contamination.  Three separate tournaments.  Everyone is happy.

I think the problem is finding a venue in Wisconsin to hold an event whether all three divisions or 3 schools one division.

I asked about having it in the dells like all the others. Probably the wiaa doesnt have control if it is a non state venue, not sure about that.

Sounds like rhinelander is a good spot that has been offered up and for free.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

dman

Quote from: padre on January 07, 2021, 12:08:22 AM

While I agree somewhat that something is better than nothing the issue remains that there's absolutely no reason to cut down the qualifiers.  It's not really about the 1 percent that are going to continue to work hard and make it...there are so many others that understand they aren't taking home a title but have had that dream of being a qualifier their whole lives and for 99 percent of those seniors they can now look at that sectional and know it's not going to happen. 

Unfortunately, like usual reading about the meeting it is in Wade's head that there will be 8 representatives and to me that means it's not going to change.  The problem is myself and I'm sure others have tried to stick up for what they thought was right in the past...and most of us are much more aware of what's good for wrestling...but it's like driving into a wall...no changing anyone's kind.

This!

dman

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 07, 2021, 05:59:01 AM
It's not just 8 kids. It's 8x14 weight classes. Your losing 112 D1 state qualifiers and if it is 8 for D2/D3 you are losing 112 again. So 224 kids who go to school, get their work done, keep their grades up, practice, watch their weight, wear their mask, and follow the protocols lose an opportunity that for some of them can be life changing/alerting. They look at themselves different and can be put on a different path because of it.

And this!

asdfg

quite a few of those 224 kids that miss out will also look at the state bracket and see 1-2 kids out of 8 that made it solely because the WIAA was too lazy to re-align the sectionals.  Sure the Champ probably deserves to be the champ, but WIAA is going to have a whole bunch of  "paper champ" state placers this year due to that 9 team sectional they burned thru with 3 forfeits in the bracket. 

"something is better then nothing" mantra is just weak.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Hayward on January 07, 2021, 06:42:54 AM
Who can we talk to or what can be done to change the current plan?  I was told the WWCA has no power at any of the meetings.  I talked to an AD and they don't even know what is going on and say the WWCA should be pushing for the change.   So if it is not the AD's and not the coaches who is it?  No wonder all the complaining on the forum over the years and nothing changes.

What has the WWCA accomplished?  It should be them pushing for what "is best for the wrestlers."  This notion of "at least they get to wrestle." is absolute nonsense.  Wrestling 8-12 matches is garbage.  Even less for JV wrestlers who bust their inappropriate term2 just as much as a Varsity wrestler.  There is no need to change the state tourney to an 8 man bracket.  NONE!!!!  As for the states that are not wrestling, we all know why those states are not wrestling.  Realign the regions and sections and go. Use the Dells dome and Hodag Dome and roll. 

Numbers

Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on January 07, 2021, 08:16:24 AM
https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2021/D1-Wrestling-2021.pdf

In D1, 4 of 8 Individual Sectionals are now in need of a host.    4 of 8 Team Sectionals are now in need of a host.  7 of 16 Regional sites are now in need of a host.  Not a good sign for D1. 

https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2021/D2-Wrestling-2021.pdf

In D2, it looks better.   1 of 4 Individual Sectional sites are needed.  1 of 4 Team Sectional sites are needed. ZERO Regional sites of 16 are needed.

https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2021/D3-Wrestling-2021.pdf

In D3, 1 of 4 Individual Sectional sites are needed. ZERO Team Sectional sites are needed.  2 of 16 Regional sites are needed.

If the WIAA would work with the wrestling people on this forum and allow the restructure of tournament assignments, everything could be resolved by next week. 

1 day per division state tournaments (with the regular qualification process) brackets could work by changing consolation to fifth place due to the daily match limit. 

Let the non-semifinalists wrestle for 5th instead of eliminating over 200 qualifiers because of the possible match limit of wrestling back to 3rd.

Wrestling Novice

Boy, Wade sure is flexible.  I mean great job talking to the people that know how to get it done. 

If anything needs to change, it's those in charge of the WIAA.   
FFS, if outsiders can get big tournaments done in a day, no reason why the WIAA can't. 

Hayward

•   Negative Perceptions: Weight Loss, Skin Conditions, Cauliflower Ear,

What does this have to do with Covid and less opportunities for the kids this year??