My current D3 projected front-runners at each weight

Started by rankwizard, July 26, 2023, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankwizard

With keeping an eye on off-season results, I made some approximations on my current #1's at each weight in D3. I'll do a D2 and D1 later. D3 is looking strong

106: Aidan Gruenfelder (Pecatonica Argyle)
113: Jake Fitzpatrick (Aquinas)
120: Drew Dolphin (Kenosha Christian Life)
126: Co'Ji Campbell (Kenosha St. Joseph)
132: Dawson Johnson (Cumberland)
138: Elliot Biba (Iowa-Grant)
144: Ian Crapp (Fennimore)
150: Colt Weiler (Auburndale)
157: Nash Banko (Oostburg)
165: Tristan Steldt (Fennimore)
175: David Malin (Aquinas)
190: Tyson Martin (Aquinas)
215: Vanden Hoffman (Weyauwega-Fremont)
285: Evan Gratz (Fennimore)

Fennimore and Aquinas each have 3 of my current projected picks. A dual a lot of people want to see.

Gonzo1

Agreed, they are two of the best teams in the state regardless of division. The SWAL is tough, Carey(MP), Nutter(Fennimore), Stevens(IG) all have legit shots to win it all as well. There are a few other individuals that will be high place winners as well.

rankwizard

Carey and Nutter are big contenders. I think they may end up at different weights this year... they've been battling each other a lot the past few years.

Junkyardpig

Why doesn't co'ji Campbell wrestle in any big offseason tournaments, freestyle state, northern plains, Fargo, post season nationals, super 32?

hammer

Quote from: Junkyardpig on August 03, 2023, 01:09:55 PMWhy doesn't co'ji Campbell wrestle in any big offseason tournaments, freestyle state, northern plains, Fargo, post season nationals, super 32?

Great question for sure. Could be several factors and without knowing the young man I can only assume but I will give some thoughts.

Cost......not cheap but wisconsin does a great job keeping costs down for fargo.

Not interested in freestyle/greco and wants to focus on folkstyle like many of the east coast states do.

Job/family commitments play into not going to these events.

Not a club member......many of these athletes are in clubs and it is maybe easier for them to get more involved in these events.

Focus.....while us old guys want to see these kids involved but maybe the kids don't rate these events as high as us old timers do.

Other sports/inquires choices and uncontrollable things happen!

I cannt wait to see Mr Campbell on the mat this year. Hope the best for him this winter!

Scramble_king

Quote from: Junkyardpig on August 03, 2023, 01:09:55 PMWhy doesn't co'ji Campbell wrestle in any big offseason tournaments, freestyle state, northern plains, Fargo, post season nationals, super 32?

I believe he won preseason nationals last year!

rankwizard

Campbell is a smooth criminal on the mat... love to see him go at it.

Him vs Dawson Johnson would be a fun one but Dawson has the slight weight advantage.

Carey, Nutter, and Johnson have all been at 132 this summer so 132 would be pretty stacked if they all want to battle at 132 in D3

WrestlerSB80

I didn't see the Phenom on Wisconsin Grappler rankings. I would think he'd be in the mix to win 106.

Skramblewrestling1224

Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on August 07, 2023, 03:45:36 PMI didn't see the Phenom on Wisconsin Grappler rankings. I would think he'd be in the mix to win 106.
Redshirt 8th grader

PH

I don't see any good reason for holding a child back in 8th grade unless it is for academic reasons only.  Any other reason has no integrity in my opinion.  I saw the "Phenom" wrestle and he would have no problem sticking with the competition at the high school level.  Once again, what lessons do we want to teach our youth.

rankwizard

There are two sides of the story there... I feel it's best to stay positive about it. It will be okay. Phenom will have his day later. Families can choose these days and most families will keep their kids on track with their current age group which is great for the majority of kids. Even if you hold a kid back, it doesn't really negatively impact their life as they are allowed another year to mature and figure out life.

I see a ton of athletes go down the tubes their first year out of high school.

rankwizard

I'm gonna post my top 10 contenders at each weight in all 3 divisions at some point when I have time. My projections are a little different than others.

Summer has been busy for us all, and a ton of WI wrestlers have been piling up success on the mats this off-season.

qbit

Quote from: PH on August 07, 2023, 08:40:48 PMI don't see any good reason for holding a child back in 8th grade unless it is for academic reasons only.  Any other reason has no integrity in my opinion.  I saw the "Phenom" wrestle and he would have no problem sticking with the competition at the high school level.  Once again, what lessons do we want to teach our youth.

It's important to consider the child's age when enrolling them in school. If you enroll your child too early, especially if they have a summer birthday, they might end up being significantly younger than most of their classmates. In some cases, parents in certain sports take this factor into consideration and opt to delay their child's enrollment so that they're among the older students in their grade. Many parents have already made this decision to ensure their child is more mature for their grade level. However, some parents didn't anticipate this and now need to help their child catch up, leading to what's known as a "greyshirt year." It's all about avoiding putting your child at a disadvantage. For instance, if a student is turning 16 during their freshman year, they might be better off as a sophomore, as being 16 as a freshman is quite old for that grade level.