Post Season

Started by Hayward, January 04, 2021, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomfox

I called this morning and supposedly they are still trying to find schools that will host regionals/sectionals, they think they will know in a day or two. The secretary is saying some counties will not allow it. My understanding is the decision ultimately lays with the school Super Intendants if they want to allow the event to happen. I talked to a couple of other people I know from around the State that I know from being around the sport fort the last 40 years and they are not optimistic. I keep hearing the same thing, the WIAA planned on stringing the kids out until the end of the season and canceling in the end. To much work and no money to be made. If this happens the WIAA really screwed a bunch of good kids, especially this years seniors. So far my son has wrestled 6 matches in the WIAA season over two months and 4 more at the Dells in a four hour span.

bulldog

I think the county issue is correct. From what I hear Dane County will not allow competition IN the county (I could be wrong). But if that is the case could Dane County schools find a location outside of the county? Or doesn't that really make a difference? It looks like D2 and D3 pretty much has it hammered out. So D1 has some big holes to try and fill in very quickly...

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: tomfox on January 14, 2021, 11:18:31 AM
I called this morning and supposedly they are still trying to find schools that will host regionals/sectionals, they think they will know in a day or two. The secretary is saying some counties will not allow it. My understanding is the decision ultimately lays with the school Super Intendants if they want to allow the event to happen. I talked to a couple of other people I know from around the State that I know from being around the sport fort the last 40 years and they are not optimistic. I keep hearing the same thing, the WIAA planned on stringing the kids out until the end of the season and canceling in the end. To much work and no money to be made. If this happens the WIAA really screwed a bunch of good kids, especially this years seniors. So far my son has wrestled 6 matches in the WIAA season over two months and 4 more at the Dells in a four hour span.

It sure is shaping up that way.  Unfortunately.  They had almost a year to figure this out, and are failing miserably.  We had a team cancel yesterday for a dual today.  This leaves teams little option. 

Teams available won't wrestle because of conference rules, yet in two weeks will have no issues wrestling in a regional tournament. 

This whole time, basketball can play back to back games against different opponents nonetheless. 

Pathetic.

padre

Quote from: hornbuckleb on January 14, 2021, 09:36:10 AM
2 weeks away and nothing ???

Maybe everyone should just call them!

Wisconsin Interscholastic
Athletic Association
5516 Vern Holmes Drive
Stevens Point, WI 54482-8833

Phone (715) 344-8580
Fax (715) 344-4241
Mon-Fri: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM

Not sure it means anything but our host regional did send us the contract yesterday(D3)

MatScoutWillie

I think if we don't hear anything by the end of the week we could be in trouble. 

asdfg

With the proposed DI 8-man bracket, and WIAA to lazy to re-align-it is "state" tourney in name only.  If it really is about finding opportunities for your kid, time to look elsewhere. 

USA Wrestling just released a "state champ" tournament, the will also have local wrestle-in opportunities for at-large type entry.  They state the whole intent is for older kids to get looked at by college coaches.

Nuway wrestling has had great tournaments all year going on, as did GroWrestling. 

Trackwrestling/Flo has lots other listed.

I believe March/April then thru-out the whole summer will have tons of opportunities for mat time and exposure.

Hope local clubs step up to offer opportunities for those that do not want to travel.

A few high school teams were smart enough to opt out or actively seek elsewhere.  Kudos to them.

Wrestling Novice

FYI... just got off the phone with Mike Zimmerman.  He owns the Milwaukee Wave and built up the ROC in Franklin.  He built a 90,000 sq ft facility that opens in February.  He is willing to host the D1 tournament at the facility (details to be worked out).

thequad

Does this mean that D2 and D3 are definitely happening?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

bigoil

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on January 14, 2021, 12:45:38 PM
FYI... just got off the phone with Mike Zimmerman.  He owns the Milwaukee Wave and built up the ROC in Franklin.  He built a 90,000 sq ft facility that opens in February.  He is willing to host the D1 tournament at the facility (details to be worked out).
Maybe he can host a couple of regional tournaments there as well as SE WI really needs locations.

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: bigoil on January 14, 2021, 12:51:38 PM
Quote from: Wrestling Novice on January 14, 2021, 12:45:38 PM

The problem is that it is opening in February.  Sectionals might be doable.
Maybe he can host a couple of regional tournaments there as well as SE WI really needs locations.

MatScoutWillie

https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2021/D1-Wrestling-2021.pdf

I've been as critical about the WIAA as anyone.  Kudos to them for getting this done.  Still need some regional locations, but realignment has happened. 

DarkKnight

Everything will happen.

It may not be ideal, but it'll be something.

D1 getting realigned is nice.... D2 and D3 stayed the same, which is okay.

ObsessedObserver

so I have a question... now that they are realligned how are they working? is it the four teams under the sectional and top 2 from each regional? how many of those from each sectional can go to state??? please help clear some stuff up for me and sorry for spelling and grammar

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: ObsessedObserver on January 14, 2021, 01:15:15 PM
so I have a question... now that they are realligned how are they working? is it the four teams under the sectional and top 2 from each regional? how many of those from each sectional can go to state??? please help clear some stuff up for me and sorry for spelling and grammar

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be: 

top 2 from each regionals(4) = 8 wrestlers for sectionals
top 2 from sectionals (4) = 8 wrestlers for state