Post Season

Started by Hayward, January 04, 2021, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 12, 2021, 07:39:41 PM
It is quite the undertaking at tournaments like the holiday tournaments or when we did it at the Marty Loy/FDL Invite.  But track gave us support and we also had Jeff Jones.  That makes it run smooth because they are awesome at this stuff.

Streaming three mats is much easier logistically but is also not easy unless you have a pretty good tech guru and someone that knows trackwrestling and have the equipment from cameras to computers.  Streaming from gyms using the wifi can be iffy so it sometimes takes network cables to each mat also.

It can be done but it would be a huge undertaking at so many regionals.  It would be much easier for the local school to stream on their youtube channels like they have been all year for all sports.  Not sure what the issues would be with trying to stream three different video feeds from different mats on the same youtube channel.

Point is that it can be done and HAS TO BE DONE.  But if required it can be another possible hangup when a school is trying to decide if they should host.

I don't care what anyone says but if we run the tournaments normal and allow 2 fans per wrestler it really is not going to change the course of this Covid-19 pandemic in any way.  Been laughing with a lot of people about how organizations and the WIAA are overthinking and overanalyzing everything.  Like somehow eliminating jump balls in basketball is saving us all.  Basketball players can practice against each other and compete on the court but when on the bench they all have to sit 6 ft apart.  LOL!

Doc...your points are dead on.

Neenah streamed two mats last week and did a pretty good job. My main complaint would be one scoreboard did not show the team score and the weight class wrestling. Don't know what it took to pull off but I bet Kyle could share how they did it.

Mat 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ2yePiKu0M&t=8766s
Mat 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bGfaFL1CS8&t=1s

Handles II

I'm a little curious about why (according to doc) video HAS to be done? Can't wrestling happen without it? Will it change the course of the matches or our future?
It's a luxury.
Sometimes parents simply can't watch an event. It has happened and does happen all the time. Be it a timing issue, work issue, distance issue. Events happen because of the competition FOR the athletes. The ability to watch it happen is extra. Just a few years ago if a kid went off to wrestle in college, the odds of any event being on video was not probable. Parents that couldn't attend the events simply had to wait for a phone call or some other form of communication about how things went. And life went on without a hiccup. All of us wrestled without video streaming, and for at least a lot of us, parents didn't or couldn't watch.
We all want to watch our kids if possible, but sometimes it just isn't possible. And that's ok.
So if it can work out for parents to attend, or for video, or both, great. If not, they will still compete and there will still be an outcome. 
Not every school may have the capabilities, resources and persons to stream everything. OH. WELL.  Let's just wrestle, because the reality is that this year, some are not going to be able to do that. Video isn't critical.

DocWrestling

You are right.  It is not critical and certainly should not be a reason to not hold a normal state tournament series.  I think most parents would be fine with a normal state tournament series with no fans and no streaming.  Would take nothing for teammates/manager to record the matches so parents and fans can watch them later.  Most do that anyway
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Low Single

Apples and Oranges.  The opportunity was still there to watch if they wanted/could.  Now if you take video away, you take away any opportunity to watch your child wrestle.  I agree 100% that this is about the kids and letting them wrestle, but there still has to be an opportunity for parents to watch.  Right now video is that opportunity.
60% of the time, it works every time!

Motion

My understanding is that there are no team sectionals proposed for this year. The teams that win the individual sectional tournaments will be going to team state, there are no other qualifiers for team state. I believe it was proposed this way to avoid the 7 day between match requirement as well as to avoid the need for another school to host. Again, not ideal, but it does give an opportunity. If I remember correctly when team state first started, teams qualified this way as well.

bigoil

Quote from: Motion on January 13, 2021, 10:28:51 AM
My understanding is that there are no team sectionals proposed for this year. The teams that win the individual sectional tournaments will be going to team state, there are no other qualifiers for team state. I believe it was proposed this way to avoid the 7 day between match requirement as well as to avoid the need for another school to host. Again, not ideal, but it does give an opportunity. If I remember correctly when team state first started, teams qualified this way as well.
I believe that is the direction but that is about as stupid as you can go. Deciding a team tournament with something less than a full team. Happy there is a tournament but the best team doesn't always win sectionals. Luxemburg Casco 2018 Team State champs did not win the sectional. The following year Freedom did win both sectionals and State but they won sectionals by 2.5 points and won the dual with LC by more than 20pts I believe.

bulldog

Quote from: Handles II on January 13, 2021, 09:52:39 AM
I'm a little curious about why (according to doc) video HAS to be done? Can't wrestling happen without it? Will it change the course of the matches or our future?
It's a luxury.
Sometimes parents simply can't watch an event. It has happened and does happen all the time. Be it a timing issue, work issue, distance issue. Events happen because of the competition FOR the athletes. The ability to watch it happen is extra. Just a few years ago if a kid went off to wrestle in college, the odds of any event being on video was not probable. Parents that couldn't attend the events simply had to wait for a phone call or some other form of communication about how things went. And life went on without a hiccup. All of us wrestled without video streaming, and for at least a lot of us, parents didn't or couldn't watch.
We all want to watch our kids if possible, but sometimes it just isn't possible. And that's ok.
So if it can work out for parents to attend, or for video, or both, great. If not, they will still compete and there will still be an outcome. 
Not every school may have the capabilities, resources and persons to stream everything. OH. WELL.  Let's just wrestle, because the reality is that this year, some are not going to be able to do that. Video isn't critical.

I don't think Doc meant "has to" as in this is a deal breaker. I think he meant it more as this is a pretty important item. There was a time a lot of things didn't happen...but then things were invented and made life better. We used to wait for Crossface magazine to come out to see what the rankings looked like. Now we can debate it daily. Today's technology makes livestreaming tournaments a pretty low tech and easy process. If a team isn't then they really are not trying.

Turning on 2-3 cameras, setting up a youtube channel and turning on the camera could probably be handled by most MS students these days. Including scores and updates may take a HS student. We have spent so much time debating the decline of wrestling and now when there is a chance to step up and promote the sport it seems to be too much effort.

MatScoutWillie

D1 still needs 8 regional sites!!!! Unbelievable. 
Any discussion about what happens if those sites are not filled?  Is D1 as a whole canceled?  Just the sites that don't find a host are canceled?  With only 2 weeks until regionals you'd think these kind of issues would be solved by now. 

Handles II

Quote from: bulldog on January 13, 2021, 12:00:23 PM
It's a luxury.

I don't think Doc meant "has to" as in this is a deal breaker. I think he meant it more as this is a pretty important item. There was a time a lot of things didn't happen...but then things were invented and made life better. We used to wait for Crossface magazine to come out to see what the rankings looked like. Now we can debate it daily. Today's technology makes livestreaming tournaments a pretty low tech and easy process. If a team isn't then they really are not trying.

Turning on 2-3 cameras, setting up a youtube channel and turning on the camera could probably be handled by most MS students these days. Including scores and updates may take a HS student. We have spent so much time debating the decline of wrestling and now when there is a chance to step up and promote the sport it seems to be too much effort.

I'm quite aware of technology, thanks.  However if you really think that most MS students can handle streaming video, you obviously haven't been teaching virtual classes to MS students. They can play games all day, but ask them to attach a photo to a google doc and they don't have a clue. Streaming video isn't really going to promote the sport. The only people who will watch it are the people with a dog in the fight. Random kids won't even be aware it's happening. Thus the importance very limited in the scope of getting these tournaments completed especially for this particular year. If a school has a staff of tech-savy kids or parents willing to video, awesome.

wrastle63

Quote from: Handles II on January 13, 2021, 12:16:22 PM
It's a luxury.

I'm quite aware of technology, thanks.  However if you really think that most MS students can handle streaming video, you obviously haven't been teaching virtual classes to MS students. They can play games all day, but ask them to attach a photo to a google doc and they don't have a clue. Streaming video isn't really going to promote the sport. The only people who will watch it are the people with a dog in the fight. Random kids won't even be aware it's happening. Thus the importance very limited in the scope of getting these tournaments completed especially for this particular year. If a school has a staff of tech-savy kids or parents willing to video, awesome.
You couldn't be farther from the truth. Streaming wrestling will and does promote the sport. You think only 2-4 people for each wrestler are interested in watching the regional/sectional/state tournaments??? If so that shows how much we should value your opinion. No one will be aware it is happening if we don't stream it and let people watch.  Having the state series is more important than streaming it, but we can't do both? Maybe your unable to handles but I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: bigoil on January 13, 2021, 11:53:42 AM
Quote from: Motion on January 13, 2021, 10:28:51 AM

Welcome to the world of the WIAA...where each decision tries to outdo the previous stupid decision.
I believe that is the direction but that is about as stupid as you can go. Deciding a team tournament with something less than a full team. Happy there is a tournament but the best team doesn't always win sectionals. Luxemburg Casco 2018 Team State champs did not win the sectional. The following year Freedom did win both sectionals and State but they won sectionals by 2.5 points and won the dual with LC by more than 20pts I believe.

bigoil

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 13, 2021, 12:40:42 PM
It's a luxury.

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Streaming wrestling will and does promote the sport. You think only 2-4 people for each wrestler are interested in watching the regional/sectional/state tournaments??? If so that shows how much we should value your opinion. No one will be aware it is happening if we don't stream it and let people watch.  Having the state series is more important than streaming it, but we can't do both? Maybe your unable to handles but I can walk and chew gum at the same time.
Streaming wrestling doesn't promote the sport....yet there are three services doing it and making money and growing followers/subscribers. Flowrestling, Rokfin, Trackwrestling. Seems like it is promoting it to me as their users increase.

bulldog

It's a luxury.

HandlesII...I challenge your opinion on this topic. My youngest (not the tech geek) set up a virtual martial arts class when he was in 8th grade and streamed lessons daily for kids that could not make it to class. He did it on his own...he figured it out. That was 8 years ago. Tech has advanced quite a bit since then. Second...EVERY school district has an AV person or an IT person. If they don't I can find dozens of tech guys that could walk anyone through the process. I saw live matches this year on facebook through one parents cell phone. Does it have to be harder than that?

As for having a "dog in the fight"...wrong...I don't have anybody in wrestling this year...I have watched more wrestling this year because of livestream than I have for the past 2 years. My dad (86 years old) has not been to a live match for 8 years. He had my sister set up his computer so he can watch matches. If you believe the only people that will watch the sport are the people currently in the sport then it would be doomed to die. Know how radom kids become aware? Have the sport easily accessible. Facebook is a perfect example. Post photos and videos of kids on the team, tag the kids, their friends see they are tagged and suddenly you have an interest. YEAH...it is that easy. There are 1800 followers on CWW facebook page. I will wager many of them do not currently have a dog in the fight. But they do interact with information posted there.

Handles II

It's a luxury.

Um, yeah... So you are thinking that thousands of pre-teens across our state are going to find out about these regionals somehow (like go to a high school webpage to 'see what's happening'), watch it, and join the sport??? Bahahahahaha! A 5 minute highlights video of people from their team streamed on tiktok, yes, possibly. A 5 hour long live version mostly of kids they've never heard of livestreamed? As Aerosmith said,  Dream On.

wrastle63

Quote from: Handles II on January 13, 2021, 02:22:36 PM
It's a luxury.

Um, yeah... So you are thinking that thousands of pre-teens across our state are going to find out about these regionals somehow (like go to a high school webpage to 'see what's happening'), watch it, and join the sport??? Bahahahahaha! A 5 minute highlights video of people from their team streamed on tiktok, yes, possibly. A 5 hour long live version mostly of kids they've never heard of livestreamed? As Aerosmith said,  Dream On.
I am from a smaller school and our last dual had over 300 views. We don't get close to 300 people attending duals. As Ron White said "You can't fix stupid". Clearly he was right.