Post Season

Started by Hayward, January 04, 2021, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornbuckleb

Looking at the Tournament Assignments it seems that D2 and D3 are in pretty good shape with host sites.  Both D2 and D3 are missing a host in the southern parts of the sate - sectionals D.  Combined they are only missing one Regional host which is very impressive.

D1 on the other hand is missing half of the locations for Regional Hosts, but surprisingly only is missing 2 out of the 8 Sectional Hosts.

Maybe this makes to much sense to just me, but if I was scheduling labor for a job I would probably look at my available resources and make a plan from there and not just stick to the same old plan.

Looking at D1 Regional Hosts first only Y/N

Sectional A
Regional I - Y
Regional II - Y

All Good

Sectional B
Regional I - N
Regional II - Y

Ask Ashwaubenon if they would be willing to host Regionals instead of a maybe for Sectionals

Sectional C
Regional I - Y
Regional II - N

Has to be either Portage or Sauk hosting if they can.  No other options available due to Dane County

Sectional D
Regional I - N
Regional II - Y

Ask Hartford Union to host regionals instead of Sectionals

Sectional E
Regional I - N
Regional II - N

Fort Atkinson is your only choice left in Regional I as all other schools in Dane County.  Ask Mukwonago to host regionals instead of sectionals or possibly both

Sectional F
Regional I - Y
Regional II - N

Ask Brookfield East to host regionals as well as sectionals

Sectional G
Regional I - Y
Regional II - Y

All good here

Sectional H
Regional I - N
Regional II - N

Big Trouble down here as we seen in the south eastern part of the state for D2 and D3

So here is the plan if something can be figured out in the south eastern part of the state.

Take the top 2 instead of 4 from each regional to advance to a combined Sectional with the top 2 advancing to state.  Should make Wade happy as still only eight at state. He does not seem willing to budge on the number 8.
This is the same model currently being used/proposed for D2 and D3 and results in a reduction of 4 tournaments in D1

Section A & B North
Sectional Host Wausau East
Regionals
Eau Claire North
D. C. Everest
Ashwaubenon instead of hosting Sectional B
Kaukauna

Section C & D North Central
Sectional Host – Per Gundy Baraboo just offered
Regionals
Holmen
Has to be Portage or Sauk no other options
Hartford Union
West Bend West

Section E & F South Central
Sectional Host - either Mukwonago of Brookfield East
Regionals
Has to be Fort Atkinson - no other choices
Mukwonago - Regionals or Both
Nicolet
Brookfield East Sectionals or Both

Section G & H South
Sectional Host - New Berlin West
Regionals
Pewaukee
West Allis Central
?
?

If having the fans is related to the WIAA revenue I would propose the WIAA live stream on NFHS network for Regionals and Sectionals.  Otherwise worst case 14 weights * 8 wrestlers per weight * 2 spectators per wrestler * $7 per spectator equals total gate money of $1,568 divided among the teams equals about $200 per team representing.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: hornbuckleb on January 12, 2021, 09:34:21 AM
Looking at the Tournament Assignments it seems that D2 and D3 are in pretty good shape with host sites.  Both D2 and D3 are missing a host in the southern parts of the sate - sectionals D.  Combined they are only missing one Regional host which is very impressive.

D1 on the other hand is missing half of the locations for Regional Hosts, but surprisingly only is missing 2 out of the 8 Sectional Hosts.

Maybe this makes to much sense to just me, but if I was scheduling labor for a job I would probably look at my available resources and make a plan from there and not just stick to the same old plan.

Looking at D1 Regional Hosts first only Y/N

Sectional A
Regional I - Y
Regional II - Y

All Good

Sectional B
Regional I - N
Regional II - Y

Ask Ashwaubenon if they would be willing to host Regionals instead of a maybe for Sectionals

Sectional C
Regional I - Y
Regional II - N

Has to be either Portage or Sauk hosting if they can.  No other options available due to Dane County

Sectional D
Regional I - N
Regional II - Y

Ask Hartford Union to host regionals instead of Sectionals

Sectional E
Regional I - N
Regional II - N

Fort Atkinson is your only choice left in Regional I as all other schools in Dane County.  Ask Mukwonago to host regionals instead of sectionals or possibly both

Sectional F
Regional I - Y
Regional II - N

Ask Brookfield East to host regionals as well as sectionals

Sectional G
Regional I - Y
Regional II - Y

All good here

Sectional H
Regional I - N
Regional II - N

Big Trouble down here as we seen in the south eastern part of the state for D2 and D3

So here is the plan if something can be figured out in the south eastern part of the state.

Take the top 2 instead of 4 from each regional to advance to a combined Sectional with the top 2 advancing to state.  Should make Wade happy as still only eight at state. He does not seem willing to budge on the number 8.
This is the same model currently being used/proposed for D2 and D3 and results in a reduction of 4 tournaments in D1

Section A & B North
Sectional Host Wausau East
Regionals
Eau Claire North
D. C. Everest
Ashwaubenon instead of hosting Sectional B
Kaukauna

Section C & D North Central
Sectional Host – Per Gundy Baraboo just offered
Regionals
Holmen
Has to be Portage or Sauk no other options
Hartford Union
West Bend West

Section E & F South Central
Sectional Host - either Mukwonago of Brookfield East
Regionals
Has to be Fort Atkinson - no other choices
Mukwonago - Regionals or Both
Nicolet
Brookfield East Sectionals or Both

Section G & H South
Sectional Host - New Berlin West
Regionals
Pewaukee
West Allis Central
?
?

If having the fans is related to the WIAA revenue I would propose the WIAA live stream on NFHS network for Regionals and Sectionals.  Otherwise worst case 14 weights * 8 wrestlers per weight * 2 spectators per wrestler * $7 per spectator equals total gate money of $1,568 divided among the teams equals about $200 per team representing.

Love your proposal!!!!  Too bad you're dealing with the WIAA and the Wadester who wont budge on a Dang thing.  Too much work for them.  Even though it would take very little for this to happen.  Maybe they'll shock us and think outside the box. 

bulldog

Nice job hornbuckleb...you seem to have a solid plan for the WIAA to look at. Sadly I don't think they will. And if the fan thing is about $$ it is easy...livestream on the WIAA website and charge to join. They would probably pick up some people that would not go to regionals in a normal year. And I have three screens. I would pay to watch three regionals...if they did a good job covering all the mats. That is what would kick their butts. To livestream 4-6 mats possible would be outside of their skill set. But trackwrestling could do it...

DocWrestling

Everything is just more difficult with wrestling.  LOL   

Typically an event has to set up one camera to stream one court or field or rink.  For wrestling streaming is much more difficult requiring at least 3 cameras and then all the tech set up to get the video out live.

Streaming every match at regionals and sectionals will be a huge undertaking that I don't think even trackwrestling could accomplish.

Not sure if each host could handle on their own youtube channels? or would it have to be run through a pay site like NFHS?  If you run it through a pay site that brings on need of more manpower and tech wisdom
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Hayward

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 12, 2021, 11:28:40 AM
Everything is just more difficult with wrestling.  LOL   

Typically an event has to set up one camera to stream one court or field or rink.  For wrestling streaming is much more difficult requiring at least 3 cameras and then all the tech set up to get the video out live.

Streaming every match at regionals and sectionals will be a huge undertaking that I don't think even trackwrestling could accomplish.

Not sure if each host could handle on their own youtube channels? or would it have to be run through a pay site like NFHS?  If you run it through a pay site that brings on need of more manpower and tech wisdom

Trackwrestling streams 20+ mats at tournaments on a regular basis.   Streaming 3-4 mats at a regional would not be an issue for Trackwresting at all. 

hornbuckleb

I believe the WIAA is still locked in with NFHS network.  So they would need to use there services which I believe is $10.99 a month.

If the whole spectator thing is what prevents the post season, I seriously have to question the ethics and morals of the WIAA.

If they only followed the D1 model above vs. the suspected WIAA direction for D1, they could reduce the theoretical contact exposure by 260%.

D1 Regionals and Sectionals using proposed format without spectators = 2240 people possible (not considering coaches and tournament officials)
D1 Regionals and Sectionals following the WIAA suspected format and 2 spectators per wrestler = 8056 people possible (not considering coaches and tournament officials)

(8056-2240)/2240 = 260%

bulldog

hornbuckleb...not sure what the WIAA contract with NFHS but trackwrestling seems to be at regionals, sectionals and state from a bracketing standpoint. So would they be able to utilize them for streaming? Probably more of a question for track...they may not have the equipment to undertake regionals with so many locations

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: bulldog on January 12, 2021, 12:08:23 PM
hornbuckleb...not sure what the WIAA contract with NFHS but trackwrestling seems to be at regionals, sectionals and state from a bracketing standpoint. So would they be able to utilize them for streaming? Probably more of a question for track...they may not have the equipment to undertake regionals with so many locations

Track has the resources to easily accomplish this. 

DocWrestling

Trackwrestling needs volunteers to set up the cameras, man the cameras, etc.  Everything trackwrestling does is done by the local tournament committee.  At least it used to be.  It is not like they have the manpower to send out cameramen and production crews to all these tournaments.  They provide the technology to broadcast and stream it through their website but really the tournament provides the cameras, computers, etc.

Typically the camera is just manned by a club volunteer helping out the tournament. 

My point is that trackwrestling does not provide cameramen or the cameras to cover every mat that stream on their website.  It is just like using their software for the tournament management and bracketing.  That is not done by trackwrestling.  That is done by a volunteer for the local club.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 12, 2021, 01:56:34 PM
Trackwrestling needs volunteers to set up the cameras, man the cameras, etc.  Everything trackwrestling does is done by the local tournament committee.  At least it used to be.  It is not like they have the manpower to send out cameramen and production crews to all these tournaments.  They provide the technology to broadcast and stream it through their website but really the tournament provides the cameras, computers, etc.

Typically the camera is just manned by a club volunteer helping out the tournament. 

My point is that trackwrestling does not provide cameramen or the cameras to cover every mat that stream on their website.  It is just like using their software for the tournament management and bracketing.  That is not done by trackwrestling.  That is done by a volunteer for the local club.

Which is easy to do.  Every location that is willing and wanting to host a regional/sectional has people familiar with Track from their own local youth tournaments.  Almost guaranteed.

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 12, 2021, 01:56:34 PM

I volunteer if family is not allowed :)

joeski

When we do the livestream for Bi-State, the cameras come from Track. Along with all the chords and such to do the streaming from your laptop. But not all your media chords to each table.

DocWrestling

It is quite the undertaking at tournaments like the holiday tournaments or when we did it at the Marty Loy/FDL Invite.  But track gave us support and we also had Jeff Jones.  That makes it run smooth because they are awesome at this stuff.

Streaming three mats is much easier logistically but is also not easy unless you have a pretty good tech guru and someone that knows trackwrestling and have the equipment from cameras to computers.  Streaming from gyms using the wifi can be iffy so it sometimes takes network cables to each mat also.

It can be done but it would be a huge undertaking at so many regionals.  It would be much easier for the local school to stream on their youtube channels like they have been all year for all sports.  Not sure what the issues would be with trying to stream three different video feeds from different mats on the same youtube channel.

Point is that it can be done and HAS TO BE DONE.  But if required it can be another possible hangup when a school is trying to decide if they should host.

I don't care what anyone says but if we run the tournaments normal and allow 2 fans per wrestler it really is not going to change the course of this Covid-19 pandemic in any way.  Been laughing with a lot of people about how organizations and the WIAA are overthinking and overanalyzing everything.  Like somehow eliminating jump balls in basketball is saving us all.  Basketball players can practice against each other and compete on the court but when on the bench they all have to sit 6 ft apart.  LOL!

400excracer

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 12, 2021, 07:39:41 PM
It is quite the undertaking at tournaments like the holiday tournaments or when we did it at the Marty Loy/FDL Invite.  But track gave us support and we also had Jeff Jones.  That makes it run smooth because they are awesome at this stuff.

Streaming three mats is much easier logistically but is also not easy unless you have a pretty good tech guru and someone that knows trackwrestling and have the equipment from cameras to computers.  Streaming from gyms using the wifi can be iffy so it sometimes takes network cables to each mat also.

It can be done but it would be a huge undertaking at so many regionals.  It would be much easier for the local school to stream on their youtube channels like they have been all year for all sports.  Not sure what the issues would be with trying to stream three different video feeds from different mats on the same youtube channel.

Point is that it can be done and HAS TO BE DONE.  But if required it can be another possible hangup when a school is trying to decide if they should host.

I don't care what anyone says but if we run the tournaments normal and allow 2 fans per wrestler it really is not going to change the course of this Covid-19 pandemic in any way.  Been laughing with a lot of people about how organizations and the WIAA are overthinking and overanalyzing everything.  Like somehow eliminating jump balls in basketball is saving us all.  Basketball players can practice against each other and compete on the court but when on the bench they all have to sit 6 ft apart.  LOL!
Great post! I love the common sense. Lost art these days.

panther93

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on January 13, 2021, 07:25:07 AM
On WIAA Website.  Hopefully there are finally some answers today..... ???

1/13/2021 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM

Sports Advisory Committee

Sports Advisory Committee Meeting
Crossing my fingers!