If I was in charge of wrestling in wisconsin

Started by littleguy301, March 04, 2020, 12:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Here are some things I would like to see happen in Wisconsin wrestling.

1. Double elimination for all state events whether team or individual.

2. Super sectionals and all divisions getting 16 to state.
     A. Have each division have the same amount of teams.

3. A true dual meet formula to get teams to state.
     A. Bring 8 per division and placing to 5/6

4. Instead of the wiaa being in charge of the refs, have the coaches association in charge of the refs. The coaches know what they want and work it out with the refs. Having the wiaa in charge hand cuffs refs and coaches alike. Also if a coach complains to the ref about a call, the ref can always say back, that is what you wanted :D

5. Get rid of the 7 and 7 rule and go with 14 weigh ins. This allows freedom to the teams and school to find like opponents for the betterment of devolpement of the program. Though maybe set a match limit.

6. Keep the weight min. but get rid of the weight loss plan. To get the average kid out for wrestling we dont need to confuse them any more than we already do. With this set some guidelines as to how to establish your state series weight class before state.

7. Allow each state champ 5 to 10 seconds of some dance with out being penalized for it ;

8. Figure out how to seed the state tournament. Most states have this so.......
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Got my vote, LG! It would be sweet if they did have czars for each sport. Nice to know one or more person "gets" wrestling at the admin. level.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigoil

Can we wrestle full matches at the State Tournament as well?

dman

bronco

Couldn't agree more, especially with #1, I cannot believe this is not discussed/debated more!! To put in all the hard work to get to state and not get to wrestles at least two matches should be an embarrassment to whomever set that schedule up!!! Seems to me, I heard ONCE, "it's for the kids". D2 @182 senior got caught and pinned in 25 seconds...it's all done!!! just not right. (No, no dog in that fight, can't even remember kids name) I know that there is time and money restraints, here is my $20.00 (along with everyone else's) and make breaks an hour shorter. What am I missing??

littleguy301

Quote from: bigoil on March 04, 2020, 06:54:55 AM

I am all for this also. Though if we go 16 weights per division and double elimination we might have to look at the 1, 2,2 closer just for time. 2,2,2 will be for placing matches for sure.

bigoil

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 04, 2020, 07:43:17 AM

I am all for this also. Though if we go 16 weights per division and double elimination we might have to look at the 1, 2,2 closer just for time. 2,2,2 will be for placing matches for sure.
Mr Kluever noted on his podcast that longer periods actually have shorter match times. Allows for more time to turn and finish.

Wis-Mallard

I think there is room for 8 mats for early rounds if needed to keep things on the same schedule.

bigoil

Quote from: Wis-Mallard on March 04, 2020, 07:58:27 AM
I think there is room for 8 mats for early rounds if needed to keep things on the same schedule.
Woody has confirmed this in the past, he has a plan ready for double elimination. There are big breaks on Friday and Saturday when the 1-2-2 are run. Yes double elimination will add more matches, I think that is 6 extra matches per weight class but I could be thinking too simply (four kids in each division, 2 extra matches per division). 6*14 =84 matches, brackets might actually require more matches than that but I'm too lazy to look. 84 matches is 2 hours added but if you add the 2 extra mats on Friday morning/afternoon for all Friday matches except semis, that should cut that time down significantly.

littleguy301

Quote from: bigoil on March 04, 2020, 07:56:50 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 04, 2020, 07:43:17 AM

Mr Kluever noted on his podcast that longer periods actually have shorter match times. Allows for more time to turn and finish.

I heard that also. Though I look at the basic things. More chance for blood time, injury and those things. Not doubting klevuer. I think he is onto something. All I know that Saturday session was short and I spent quite some time at a local watering hole in between sessions on saturday >:(

Numbers

Remember we are probably only a year or two away from having brackets/matches for women's wrestling also.

Jimmerwhite

2. Super sectionals and all divisions getting 16 to state.
     A. Have each division have the same amount of teams.

Why does each division have a different number of teams? That does not make sense.

DocWrestling

Honestly the dumbest rule in all of wrestling is that fact that any varsity match is shortened to 5 minutes just because you lost earlier in the day.

Every varsity match in every tournament should be 2-2-2.

This rule to shorten the match seems to be about the dumbest rule across all sports.  You literally change the flow of a match simply because the wrestlers have lost prior?  They are somehow not worthy of the extra minute?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: Luke Louison on March 04, 2020, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: bigoil on March 04, 2020, 08:18:51 AM
Quote from: Wis-Mallard on March 04, 2020, 07:58:27 AM
Woody has confirmed this in the past, he has a plan ready for double elimination. There are big breaks on Friday and Saturday when the 1-2-2 are run. Yes double elimination will add more matches, I think that is 6 extra matches per weight class but I could be thinking too simply (four kids in each division, 2 extra matches per division). 6*14 =84 matches, brackets might actually require more matches than that but I'm too lazy to look. 84 matches is 2 hours added but if you add the 2 extra mats on Friday morning/afternoon for all Friday matches except semis, that should cut that time down significantly.

In both D1 & D2/D3, there are 4 wrestlers eliminated after a single loss. If you went full double elimination, it would take just 4 more matches per weight to eliminate them.
Thats 12 wrestlers per weight, 2 wrestlers per match, isn't that 6 matches?

Houndhead

Wouldn't true double elimination mean that you could still come through the losers bracket and win a championship after losing one match?