Lack of attendance at home matches.

Started by leg turk, December 29, 2016, 08:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

Quote from: woody53 on January 12, 2017, 04:55:40 PM
Quote from: aarons23 on January 12, 2017, 02:33:02 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on January 12, 2017, 12:57:24 PM
Building inspector won't allow jump around in the field house.

I would love to see the code that inforces this????
It's Madison. Trust me, it is correct.

Building inspectors can not make up rules as they go (i know many try)  so there must be a code they are enforcing if indeed the building inspector is not allowing it.  Im pretty sure the building has passed all inspections so Im not sure I believe a building inspector is the problem.....I could be wrong.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

MNbadger

How many forfeits did you see in the Badger matches last season?  I don't rememebr any in the Gopher's matches (at least Big 10 matches).  I think two or three years ago when Northwestern came to  Minneapolis, they forfeited 125 or 133, I can't remember which.  I started going through last year's completeschedule and got tired of it but found no forfeits.
Quote from: Micah on January 12, 2017, 05:08:57 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on January 12, 2017, 10:26:44 AM
No, the point was that people complain about forfeits.  The Badgers fill all the weight classes, are competitive and very few people show up.
Quote from: ElectricGuy on January 12, 2017, 08:38:59 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on January 12, 2017, 06:27:44 AM
I have said this before.  If you want attendance to increase, you have to attend.  The Badgers are competitive and becoming more so.  We blame low interest in the high scools on forfeits and having too many weight classes.  Well, here you have fewer weight classes and rarely any forfeits and no one goes to watch.

Great point!   Go to some competitive HS duals and you will see a full gym.

They fill them unless there is a big match-up.  Then, someone is sick or hurt.  Other teams do this as well and it is awful for our sport.  The big matches need to happen!
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

DocWrestling

First you have to build a fan base!

Where to look/Who to market to?
Youth Clubs
Private Clubs
High school Teams

Now market to them and their parents.
1) Market the lead up to duals with player profiles and match-ups-  Fans need to get to know the wrestlers so they know names
2) have a free live web stream of all events and promote it.  For those that live a ways away they can get to know the team and hopefully it looks exciting so they will then want to go.  Come up with a way for HS teams to have team parties where they can watch the dual right in their wrestling room or on a big screen at someone's house.
3) Every club and team should have a poster and other giveaways.  Give coaches wisconsin wrestling shirts to wear, etc!
4) Now make the events fun-  still not sure why the Big Ten does not have JV matches or exhibition matches prior to duals so there would be more matches
5) interact with fans on social media with chats or giveaways for retweets, etc

The university needs to spend some money and needs a dynamic coach.  
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MNbadger

All good ideas Doc but I would not call Cael or John Smith "dynamic". 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

imwi

Quote from: MNbadger on January 13, 2017, 01:18:17 PM
All good ideas Doc but I would not call Cael or John Smith "dynamic". 

I think you must've missed Cael's tweet a few years back
https://twitter.com/caelsanderson/status/381535917456240640

;D ;D ;D

Jimmy

Aaron, it was a joke! The funny face did not come thru. Lighten up man ;D

aarons23

Quote from: Jimmy on January 13, 2017, 02:06:54 PM
Aaron, it was a joke! The funny face did not come thru. Lighten up man ;D
I thought you were serious and then when Wooody responded as he did I figured it must be the officail statement from the UW... and I knew that was a BS excuse....BTW....I have lightened up....down 33 # since Oct. ;D ;D
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Jimmy

Unfortunately I found what you lost :( lol

imwi

Nebraska doesn't look like they are selling out either.  However, I did watch PSU vs Rutgets tonight too, cheerleaders, dancers, etc packed house

bigG

I watched the same dual(like most of us) and couldn't help but notice the same. They make en event of it.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

Quote from: imwi on January 13, 2017, 08:15:40 PM
Nebraska doesn't look like they are selling out either.  However, I did watch PSU vs Rutgets tonight too, cheerleaders, dancers, etc packed house
And Nebraska is a top 5 team. Pretty crazy!

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

1. get rid of Barry Davis (obviously not doing the job)
2. hire a big name coach (sorry, but Trevor Brandvold does not meet the criteria)
3. market the program (the UW should spend as much time on this as they do whining about Walker and Trump)

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

How many were in attendance for the Ohio State Wisconsin Match?
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ty Clark

Not really commenting... just dumping facts. These are the official social media pages:

Twitter Followers
34000   OHIO STATE
33000   IOWA
26500   PENN STATE
24700   MINNESOTA
17600   MICHIGAN
16300   NEBRASKA
14200   ILLINOIS
12500   MARYLAND
11900   RUTGERS
11200   WISCONSIN
11000   PURDUE
9909   NORTHWESTERN
7848   MICHIGAN STATE
7230   INDIANA

Facebook Likes:

82094   PENN STATE
67745   MICHIGAN
43859   IOWA
40934   MINNESOTA
21425   OHIO STATE
15300   WISCONSIN
15155   PURDUE
10088   NORTHWESTERN
9454   INDIANA
9335   MARYLAND
7894   NEBRASKA
6439   ILLINOIS
3971   MICHIGAN STATE
3572   RUTGERS
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain