WIAA

Started by crossface21, January 11, 2016, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

imnofish

Quote from: woody53 on January 18, 2016, 04:22:14 PM
How so? Explain.

+1  I would also love to be enlightened about this. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wrestling for fun

Im not sure about hilarious, but I did find it quite amusing in the way he carefully used his words and deflected it back on "the members" that they have "been asking for this".     Also stating that this memo "was no different than any other year".   I would like to know if every other year they had specifics such as "air ball" in the memo.

Also disappointed no mention by Gousha or Anderson of the reason this is in the headlines.  The "strong arm" tactics used to intimidate the district to suspend student for free speech against the WIAA.   

wraslfan

Quote from: imnofish on January 18, 2016, 07:57:59 PM
Quote from: woody53 on January 18, 2016, 04:22:14 PM
How so? Explain.

+1  I would also love to be enlightened about this. 
He states "I think what we hope for is finding that balance between fun and still something that absolutely is educational." What?!?! It's a BASKETBALL GAME. Fans are there to cheer, not educated.       

woody53

Quote from: wraslfan on January 18, 2016, 09:57:36 PM
Fans are there to cheer, not educated.       
So Interscholastic Sports is not an extension of the classroom?

woody53

Quote from: wrestling for fun on January 18, 2016, 09:35:08 PM
Also disappointed no mention by Gousha or Anderson of the reason this is in the headlines.  The "strong arm" tactics used to intimidate the district to suspend student for free speech against the WIAA.   

What was the "Strong Arm" Tactic used here?

Stripes

Quote from: woody53 on January 19, 2016, 05:57:31 AM
Quote from: wrestling for fun on January 18, 2016, 09:35:08 PM

What was the "Strong Arm" Tactic used here?

Quite possibly it isn't just this example but a pattern of decisions and edicts handed down over time and people are frustrated. Maybe the people want the WIAA to understand that they exist to serve to schools and the athletes. It isn't the other way around.

MNbadger

So the WIAA should not have rules about proper conduct at events?
I still want someone to explain to me how yelling "airball" while or after a player shoots is not negative (there are many other negative cheers as well, lt's just be clear how we are defending this one).  "Because we always have" is not a valid explanation either.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wraslfan

Quote from: woody53 on January 19, 2016, 05:55:22 AM
The basketball court is not an extension of the classroom. Is the role of the WIAA to educate? (I thought that was the role of teachers) Is their role to monitor kids twitter accounts? To suspend athletes a ridiculous amount of time for being critical of the WIAA? In case you aren't aware, that suspension bothers a LOT of people as much as the hysterical concern over cheers. Some people / organizations really must relish in the power that comes with their role...or have really think skin. It's not like she said a prayer before the game.

woody53

Quote from: wraslfan on January 19, 2016, 06:27:24 AM
The basketball court is not an extension of the classroom. Is the role of the WIAA to educate? (I thought that was the role of teachers) Is their role to monitor kids twitter accounts? To suspend athletes a ridiculous amount of time for being critical of the WIAA? In case you aren't aware, that suspension bothers a LOT of people as much as the hysterical concern over cheers. Some people / organizations really must relish in the power that comes with their role...or have really think skin. It's not like she said a prayer before the game.
To make clear. The WIAA does not "monitor Twitter Accounts. It was brought to their attention. They forward the information to the School. The suspension came from the school district, not the WIAA. You defined your understanding of this in your first sentence.

wraslfan

Quote from: MNbadger on January 19, 2016, 06:23:50 AM
So the WIAA should not have rules about proper conduct at events?
I still want someone to explain to me how yelling "airball" while or after a player shoots is not negative (there are many other negative cheers as well, lt's just be clear how we are defending this one).  "Because we always have" is not a valid explanation either.
Of course they should have rules about proper conduct. Who said they shouldn't? As info, shooting an air ball is a negative thing...surprisingly, basketball players know this too. Do you want to ban coaches from yelling at their athletes for mistakes? After all, that might hurt the athletes precious little ego's? Most athletes are not as wimpy as the "adults" think they are. Thankfully, your angst over this is not catching on...yet. I know the tactics of the perpetually offended, this isn't going away.  

Jeff Farrell

Come on Woody..... You know better than that.  The WIAA would not have forwarded that twitter to the school AD, without some expectation of discipline being "implied".

They can side step and spin this all they want, they are not going to win the masses in this battle.

woody53

Quote from: Jeff Farrell on January 19, 2016, 06:59:45 AM
Come on Woody..... You know better than that.  The WIAA would not have forwarded that twitter to the school AD, without some expectation of discipline being "implied".

They can side step and spin this all they want, they are not going to win the masses in this battle.
The discipline is up to the member school. Not the WIAA. Any knowledge of possible code violation, it becomes the responsibility of that official, to forward it on to the appropriate Administrators.

wraslfan

Quote from: woody53 on January 19, 2016, 06:39:28 AM
Quote from: wraslfan on January 19, 2016, 06:27:24 AM
To make clear. The WIAA does not "monitor Twitter Accounts. It was brought to their attention. They forward the information to the School. The suspension came from the school district, not the WIAA. You defined your understanding of this in your first sentence.
My understanding of this is exactly the same as most on this thread. So please enlighten me since it appears you are suggesting my ignorance. What, are you MNbadger Jr? So, the WIAA tattled on a student for being critical of the ridiculous suggestion from their spokesperson? Childish.  

woody53

To quote a NFHS Commercial that has been out for over two years and has be shown at all the High School Tournaments, "If you wouldn't do it in the Classroom. Why would you do it on the Court?"