WIAA

Started by crossface21, January 11, 2016, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossface21

http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/jimmycarlton/wiaanewrulescheering.html

And in other news, the WIAA has determined that wins and losses will not be recorded anymore so nobody's feelings are hurt. In addition, sports such as wrestling, the state tournament will be replaced with a round robin tournament in which all kids receive participation trophies.

Chanting? Really? This is what they are concerned about? Am I the only one that thinks this is a little ridiculous? I get it as far as chanting things that are using foul language, but some of the examples that are given on what is not allowed, are you kidding me?

bigG

I like that commercial where the dad rips off the "PARTICIPANT" plate on his boys trophy and writes in "CHAMPS." I bet some on here have some medals that have real meaning in their lives. I have one that , to me, means a ton.

Gonna call the 5/o for chanting "air ball?"

What chants can we have in wrestling?

"Ooooiiiiilll cheeeeeeeck, oooooiiiiiilll cheeeeeeeck!!!"

"staaaaaaaaaalling staasaaaallling!"

"Buuuuut draaaaaag....."

This has inspired me to start wrestling chants.

"Riiiiiing wooooorm, riiiiing woooooooorm!"

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imwi

Quote from: crossface21 on January 11, 2016, 01:42:35 PM
http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/jimmycarlton/wiaanewrulescheering.html

And in other news, the WIAA has determined that wins and losses will not be recorded anymore so nobody's feelings are hurt. In addition, sports such as wrestling, the state tournament will be replaced with a round robin tournament in which all kids receive participation trophies.

Chanting? Really? This is what they are concerned about? Am I the only one that thinks this is a little ridiculous? I get it as far as chanting things that are using foul language, but some of the examples that are given on what is not allowed, are you kidding me?

Apparently they are trying to discourage fans from coming to events, I can see no other reason for doing this.  If you knock out the student fan base, you are left with a bunch of old folks like us in the stands, that will make for an exciting atmosphere....

DocWrestling

I hope all athletic directors threw this memo in the trash.

I did find it odd the WIAA is worried about the fans as every sport tries to curb celebrating because it somehow offends the loser.   Don't play if you can't compete and handle losing.

I did find it funny in attending a volleyball tourney this weekend that volleyball still allows all the chants and dances after "aces" and "points".  I hope they never change it but I think it proves that it is not offending to the other team.  Can you imagine what would happen if a pitcher struck out a batter and everyone came to the mound and did a chant and dance and yelled "strikeout" or "K".  How about if a football team did a little dance and chant in the huddle after getting a first down?  Why not? 

We now know fans probably cannot yell "first down"!  Kids should be able to celebrate and fans should be able to cheer and show school spirit and if that jabs a little at the opposing team then that can be fun.  I will never condone an adult booing a high school athlete but I would expect that the student section should boo the other team when they run on the field.

Or we can have no fans and no school spirit.

I keep struggling to find one good thing about the WIAA other than they are the one entity that ties all schools together to make having a state championship easier.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

A girl from Hilbert was suspended 5 games for telling the WIAA what she thought of the policy on twitter. She told them to Eat something.

While I totally disagree with the WIAA, you have to be smart about where and when you voice your displeasure.

Sincerely
Greg S

;D

H. Hogan

Quote from: bigoil on January 11, 2016, 03:24:01 PM
A girl from Hilbert was suspended 5 games for telling the WIAA what she thought of the policy on twitter. She told them to Eat something.

While I totally disagree with the WIAA, you have to be smart about where and when you voice your displeasure.

Sincerely
Greg S

;D

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/sports/2016/01/08/prep-athlete-suspended-tweet/78525606/

So now tweeting the WIAA to eat solid waste gets you a suspension greater that getting caught drinking
The WIAA needs to remove heads from Arseholes!!!

Mack

I like this girl's Mom.  She doesn't sound hysterical, one way, or the other.  My kid goofed up.  It is't the worse thing I've ever seen, but she did it; now we have to deal with the consequences.

*Her punishment seems a little overzealous, IMO. 

MarkK

obviously the pen is much mightier than (pick your poison).   Saying the king has no clothes is dangerous.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

imwi

Saw this on twitter
WIAA acceptable FT chant: "We will reduce our level to ambient noise on your attempt, unless you find such silence to be disconcerting."

DocWrestling

A friend came up with these new chants.

For Airball-  "Don't stop trying", "No one's perfect"
For a foul/penalty- "Mom still loves you"
To the losing team- "Better luck next time

Was the WIAA really receiving so many complaints from athletes whose feelings were hurt by the opposing team's student sections?  I don't think any of these things are affecting athletes but somehow matter to some oversensitive adults.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Ghetto

left punch

Rip the face

Hit the elbow

All things I say every dual many times. Air all seems a bit tame.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Mack

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 12, 2016, 03:46:35 PM
A friend came up with these new chants.

For Airball-  "Don't stop trying", "No one's perfect"
For a foul/penalty- "Mom still loves you"
To the losing team- "Better luck next time

Was the WIAA really receiving so many complaints from athletes whose feelings were hurt by the opposing team's student sections?  I don't think any of these things are affecting athletes but somehow matter to some oversensitive adults.

Thanks for the laugh!

I think they're actually changing the ref's rule book for basketball.  In addition to calling fouls for illegal contact, the refs are now calling fouls for hurt feelings.  If any player looks disappointed or like they may be offended, that's an automatic two free throws.   I hope this will deter bullies who yell things like, "air ball".

bigG

Quote from: bigoil on January 11, 2016, 03:24:01 PM

Sincerely
Greg S

;D

:-\

I'm with you, Greg!!!

(ya scalliwag!)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

Jay Bilas has some gems on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/jaybilas/status/687015310189277184

...@JayBilas: WIAA acceptable chant: "We shall not spell out anything in unison regarding your appearance, and hope you have a positive self image."

...@JayBilas: WIAA acceptable FT chant: "We will reduce our level to ambient noise on your attempt, unless you find such silence to be disconcerting."

...@JayBilas: WIAA acceptable chant: "Your lofty ranking is not subject to question, but we respectfully submit that our team may have been overlooked."
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

crossface21

Yes, Bilas' tweets were pretty good. This is getting national attention. Scott Van Pelt is going to have a segment on Sportscenter tonight as well. Good job WIAA.