Main Menu

Recent posts

I believe another very wealthy donor is also on board for the cowboys. Not sure if there is 2 but the donation is north of 40 million for the program.

Can the the badgers find 40 million dollar donor?

DT has been on the senior level for the past 8 years getting some of the best coaching around. DT has also been the individual workout partner for several current and past PSU wrestlers. I think he has a good grasp at coaching at an elite level.

Bring in Askren, shock the college wrestling nation. Why not do something to jump start the program. I am cool with that!
Since this forum is titled "Wisconsin Collegiate Wrestling - All Divisions"; I thought I'd try to bring a more positive discussion to the forum.  Wisconsin has several programs that are doing quite well in their respective divisions (Parkside, La Crosse & Eau Claire come to mind).  I'd love to hear more about the positive direction those programs are heading, their projected line-ups and incoming recruits instead of the same discussion about the Badgers.  I believe some of these programs may have national title aspirations. Honestly it's harder to find information about those divisions, so any insight would be appreciated.
Quote from: wrestler_73 on Today at 02:48:20 PMIt is a bold decision because they had an OKlahoma State superstar waiting to be the next head coach.  They made a different decision and hired someone that does not have any coaching experience.  Askren would be the same type of bold decision.  The Askren answer in any form will bring in recruits, NIL money, and perhaps bring back wrestlers currently in other programs.  Nothing is for sure...but our current plan ends up in the same place for the last 30+ years.

I think we are seeing this differently. My understanding from what I have read is that the Ok St pivoted to DT because that is who Chad Richison wanted and he was writing a massive check for facilities, salary and NIL. The money came before the bold decision and the money was contingent on hiring DT which makes the decision not really bold. Just a straight up smart financial decision that really has no risk.

If he flames out (which I think is unlikely based on the coaching staff and the athletes the NIL money can bring in) the university is not out anything. They look for a new coach in a few years and they have a brand new shinning facility for the new coach to work in.

My contention is if the UW had a big time booster or boosters they could push the envelope and get Askren or whoever else they wanted hired but as far as I know that booster or boosters do not exist. You are suggesting that if they hire Askren the money will come. That would be a bold decision and one that comes with a massive risk. The UW would have to absorb the buyout, pay a big time salary with hope that money will come in down the road and I do not see the UW doing that. I think it would be hard to find an example of a University doing that in any sport. Unless the money comes first I do not see the UW making a change that is going to cost the Athletic Department a lot of money.
Quote from: Ghetto on Today at 11:02:11 AM
Quote from: charteroak1 on Today at 10:07:15 AMI think David was the best thing to do for the program as a whole.  While I feel for Scott, the program is always bigger than an individual.  This is also what college wrestling needs as the rivalries with Penn St. and Iowa are going to be quite intense.  I'm interested to see if there are going to be any commitment changes and how the portal shakes out.  I would imagine DJ redshirts this year and wins a Natty in '26

A little birdie told me that we shouldn't feel bad for Coleman Scott. Sometimes you dig your own hole. He was the air apparent, until he wasn't.

Pivoting to DT is a much bigger move than Coleman Scott. Coleman Scott isn't relevant with kids who are graduating now.

Who else is on this plain and at the same age? THIS is the future of NCAA wrestling, for better or for worse.

Dake
Maybe Spencer Lee, but his career internationally isn't on par at the senior level
Burroughs

I'm sure there are a few more that fit the bill, but not quite on the GOAT list.
If you're going of what he's won, then DT is behind Dake, Burroughs, and Snyder for credentials. Then behind Lee at the same point in their careers.

Burroughs - 3x NCAA champ, 7x World/Olympic champ, beat DT at 2014 World team trials
Dake - 4x NCAA champ (beat DT 2x including NCAA finals), 4x World champ, beat DT at three different World/Olympic trials
Snyder - 3x NCAA champ, 4x World/Olympic champ, 1x Junior World champ
Taylor - 2x NCAA champ, 4x World/Olympic champ

Lee - 3x NCAA champ, 2x Junior World champ, 1x Cadet World champ - by the same age DT had never made a national team and wouldn't for another three years, so Spencer very well could be on the path to the same or better international career

So yes DT is big time and he's enormously popular, but it's not as if he's the GOAT.
It is a bold decision because they had an OKlahoma State superstar waiting to be the next head coach.  They made a different decision and hired someone that does not have any coaching experience.  Askren would be the same type of bold decision.  The Askren answer in any form will bring in recruits, NIL money, and perhaps bring back wrestlers currently in other programs.  Nothing is for sure...but our current plan ends up in the same place for the last 30+ years.
Quote from: Fish on Today at 01:44:13 PMIt's easy to make bold decisions when those decisions are fully funded by a billionaire...  Perhaps someday UW will find theirs.

100% agree! You took the words right out of my mouth. The reality is that boosters that write the really big checks move the needle as far as the direction of college sports. They used to just buy facilities and coaches (salary and buy outs) but not they buy athletes through the NIL. As Harley said this was no brainer. Any college wrestling program with a vacancy (and many with a current coach) and a billionaire booster to fund the deal would have jumped at the chance to bring in the Magic Man!
It's easy to make bold decisions when those decisions are fully funded by a billionaire...  Perhaps someday UW will find theirs.
Quote from: wrestler_73 on Today at 12:41:32 PMPeople on this forum can repeat over an over why the program will never compete with the top programs like Penn State, Iowa, etc.  NIL, Facilities, and many other reasons are given by those that believe that way.  The decision by Oklahoma State was an extremely bold decision.  We have that same opportunity here in Wisconsin that will be a game changer for all of those reasons.  Let's go!

Why was this "BOLD" It was a no brainer IMO!!
People on this forum can repeat over an over why the program will never compete with the top programs like Penn State, Iowa, etc.  NIL, Facilities, and many other reasons are given by those that believe that way.  The decision by Oklahoma State was an extremely bold decision.  We have that same opportunity here in Wisconsin that will be a game changer for all of those reasons.  Let's go!
The other Hortonville guy worked out. Why not try another? ;D

In all seriousness, since Wyatt wrestled 113 as a senior in high school, he might be someone who can make 125 his whole college career.  It seems like most guys tend to outgrow the weight class.