Bold decisions

Started by wrestler_73, May 13, 2024, 12:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestler_73

People on this forum can repeat over an over why the program will never compete with the top programs like Penn State, Iowa, etc.  NIL, Facilities, and many other reasons are given by those that believe that way.  The decision by Oklahoma State was an extremely bold decision.  We have that same opportunity here in Wisconsin that will be a game changer for all of those reasons.  Let's go!

harley25

Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 13, 2024, 12:41:32 PMPeople on this forum can repeat over an over why the program will never compete with the top programs like Penn State, Iowa, etc.  NIL, Facilities, and many other reasons are given by those that believe that way.  The decision by Oklahoma State was an extremely bold decision.  We have that same opportunity here in Wisconsin that will be a game changer for all of those reasons.  Let's go!

Why was this "BOLD" It was a no brainer IMO!!

Fish

It's easy to make bold decisions when those decisions are fully funded by a billionaire...  Perhaps someday UW will find theirs.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Fish on May 13, 2024, 01:44:13 PMIt's easy to make bold decisions when those decisions are fully funded by a billionaire...  Perhaps someday UW will find theirs.

100% agree! You took the words right out of my mouth. The reality is that boosters that write the really big checks move the needle as far as the direction of college sports. They used to just buy facilities and coaches (salary and buy outs) but not they buy athletes through the NIL. As Harley said this was no brainer. Any college wrestling program with a vacancy (and many with a current coach) and a billionaire booster to fund the deal would have jumped at the chance to bring in the Magic Man!

wrestler_73

It is a bold decision because they had an OKlahoma State superstar waiting to be the next head coach.  They made a different decision and hired someone that does not have any coaching experience.  Askren would be the same type of bold decision.  The Askren answer in any form will bring in recruits, NIL money, and perhaps bring back wrestlers currently in other programs.  Nothing is for sure...but our current plan ends up in the same place for the last 30+ years.

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 13, 2024, 02:48:20 PMIt is a bold decision because they had an OKlahoma State superstar waiting to be the next head coach.  They made a different decision and hired someone that does not have any coaching experience.  Askren would be the same type of bold decision.  The Askren answer in any form will bring in recruits, NIL money, and perhaps bring back wrestlers currently in other programs.  Nothing is for sure...but our current plan ends up in the same place for the last 30+ years.

I think we are seeing this differently. My understanding from what I have read is that the Ok St pivoted to DT because that is who Chad Richison wanted and he was writing a massive check for facilities, salary and NIL. The money came before the bold decision and the money was contingent on hiring DT which makes the decision not really bold. Just a straight up smart financial decision that really has no risk.

If he flames out (which I think is unlikely based on the coaching staff and the athletes the NIL money can bring in) the university is not out anything. They look for a new coach in a few years and they have a brand new shinning facility for the new coach to work in.

My contention is if the UW had a big time booster or boosters they could push the envelope and get Askren or whoever else they wanted hired but as far as I know that booster or boosters do not exist. You are suggesting that if they hire Askren the money will come. That would be a bold decision and one that comes with a massive risk. The UW would have to absorb the buyout, pay a big time salary with hope that money will come in down the road and I do not see the UW doing that. I think it would be hard to find an example of a University doing that in any sport. Unless the money comes first I do not see the UW making a change that is going to cost the Athletic Department a lot of money.

littleguy301

I believe another very wealthy donor is also on board for the cowboys. Not sure if there is 2 but the donation is north of 40 million for the program.

Can the the badgers find 40 million dollar donor?

DT has been on the senior level for the past 8 years getting some of the best coaching around. DT has also been the individual workout partner for several current and past PSU wrestlers. I think he has a good grasp at coaching at an elite level.

Bring in Askren, shock the college wrestling nation. Why not do something to jump start the program. I am cool with that!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

harley25

Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 13, 2024, 02:48:20 PMIt is a bold decision because they had an OKlahoma State superstar waiting to be the next head coach.  They made a different decision and hired someone that does not have any coaching experience.  Askren would be the same type of bold decision.  The Askren answer in any form will bring in recruits, NIL money, and perhaps bring back wrestlers currently in other programs.  Nothing is for sure...but our current plan ends up in the same place for the last 30+ years.
So it's a bold decision because they didn't hire an alumni?
So being an alumni should be a criteria for hiring the next coach at a university? If this is the case, then we can forget about hiring Askren as he's not an alumni.
How about Alex Dieringer, Chris Pendleton or Mark branch aren't they Alumni? Were they not superstars? Was it a bold decision to pass on those guys?
Everyone in the wrestling world is calling this a no-brainer it has nothing to do with being an alumni and everything to do with getting the best coaching staff available which they are doing.

SP

Wisconsin could have had a major donor if they could have landed a certain AWA wrestler. Unfortunately Bono didn't see what he had and let it all drift away.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

bigoil

Who is that? Were they contributing before committing elsewhere?

wrestler_73

The Hire of Max Askren to be the Head Coach will turn this program around competitively and financially.