On Guillotine, varsity numbers...

Started by Handles II, December 13, 2016, 08:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: getyourpoints on December 18, 2016, 12:38:18 PM
Understood my question was if they changed the rule of a triangle and quad no longer counting as a tournament.

KNOW
Is already helping kids that are talented but could never get to these national events. Many of the kids in the team are kids from single parent families that don't have the time or money to get this type of opportunity. We are also currently raising money to help inner city and rural kids to camps at no cost. We just received a 72 passenger buss to help get kids to events they would have not been able to get to.
KNOW is 100% committed to giving every committed wrestler the same opportunity that only privileged kids may have received in the past.
So LG and Padre let's give it a chance before we look down on it. Several of us are out there trying some out of the box ideas, we are putting a lot of personal resources into making a few dents in the Sport for local kids.

first off I NEVER put it down!!!!! So lets not get to hasty on this.

I stated I never heard of K.N.O.W until aarons brought it up.

I also know nothing about expect what I read on another thread about the teams Wisconsin sent to Virginia. I read that some/all/one was mainly put together from wrestlers from 2 clubs. So what I meant in that was 2 clubs putting togethers kids for 1/2/3/4 teams from Wisconsin isnt exactly growing the sport in an entire state wide aspect.

I support the teams and I am excited to see that they performed very well out east, I truely do support those teams. I know it takes alot of time and money for all involved and happy to see what they did.

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

I think getting rid of the 7 and 7 is a starting point.

conference with 8 teams. Well wrestle the conference duals in 2 nights. Make it a quad meet situation. Then let the schools go out and decide where they want there other duals/tournaments to come from.

littleguy301

I want to hear more about K.N.O.W. maybe start a thread with the topic!

In my area (northwest Wisconsin) it seems to me that hearing more about these chances should be advertised more. Maybe I am in the dark about it but like I said havent heard anything about this until now.

more information would be a pleasure!!!!!!! websight? facebook? twitter? instragram? anything I think would be a pleasure to the state of wisconsin.

littleguy301

Quote from: getyourpoints on December 18, 2016, 01:07:40 PM
LG
With out the fund raising we have done so far, I would say half of the kids couldn't have went to any of the 5 events they are attending.
We are excited to see where this can go, we have already notified the state coach to let him know we are willing to help with the state Cadet and JR team. Weather it's helping with mat time or finances to Fargo or Worlds. We also want to start doing camps for schools that don't have the resources along with reduced fee's for kids that want to do more in wrestling but are maybe from a single parent home or a home that the parents are working just to stay a float.

I didnt ask about fund raising, I asked to know alot more about this. I know in my area there would be some pretty interested kids/parents in this.

Like I said, I knew nothing of this until it was brought up!

aarons23

Lg...KNOW is a work in progress...our first task was to get the dual team up and running, and it is.  We proud to know we have several wrestlers competing at the national level that would not have had the opportunity otherwise.  You can not deny thats good for the sport and good for these wrestlers surrounding communities when other kids want to do the same.

We are now forming the plans for other aspects....maybe the most important aspect ofs of KNOW, raising money to actually being able to help those in need.  Its not happening over night....its a lot of work for all of us involved....but our vision of what we can accomplish is worth it.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Coach Q

The 8 team conference. One solution many in our conference use is to schedule your conference dual at a Saturday dual tournament. We are at a tourney where one of the teams in our conference that struggles with numbers is at as well. We count the dual as our conference dual and it opens us up to schedule a more competitive non conference dual with more JV opportunities and they schedule someone that matches their strengths. Pewaukee has a couple conf. Teams at their dual tournament and can then schedule matches against Mukwonago and Cedarburg last year and Stratford this year.

Handles II

KNOW sounds a good idea for kids already established in wrestling. It doesn't seem like it is designed to help the majority of schools fill their varsity rosters, or to keep programs from being cut

You guys are free to start a new thread about it, but this isn't where that discussion belongs.

ramjet

Quote from: aarons23 on December 15, 2016, 11:02:57 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on December 15, 2016, 10:25:41 AM
If sales were to dip in your business, would you keep all the employees if it could possibly bring down your business? Many businesses fail by failing to see the data right there in front of them.

First off many businesses fail because they are to quick to cut...not look at ways to improve and grow.

Secondly high school wrestling is not a business.....its an extension of the classrooms...its about creating opportunities for kids to learn to be successful individuals....its not about throwing the towel in and cutting the weight classes.

Complete misunderstanding just like Obama Care !!!!!!!!

Those who approach wrestling like a business have far more success than those who approach itm
like an entitlment.....but that concept is really tough for you to understand Aaron...I can help you understand if you would like.

aarons23

Quote from: ramjet on December 18, 2016, 04:37:45 PM
Quote from: aarons23 on December 15, 2016, 11:02:57 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on December 15, 2016, 10:25:41 AM
If sales were to dip in your business, would you keep all the employees if it could possibly bring down your business? Many businesses fail by failing to see the data right there in front of them.

First off many businesses fail because they are to quick to cut...not look at ways to improve and grow.

Secondly high school wrestling is not a business.....its an extension of the classrooms...its about creating opportunities for kids to learn to be successful individuals....its not about throwing the towel in and cutting the weight classes.

Complete misunderstanding just like Obama Care !!!!!!!!

Those who approach wrestling like a business have far more success than those who approach itm
like an entitlment.....but that concept is really tough for you to understand Aaron...I can help you understand if you would like.

Lol...I always love your banter Ram....but the business end of it, I think Im doing OK.....stop and visit us in our second location in Appleton this spring.

Yes there are aspects of school that should be run like a business....not things like reducing numbers for any sport.....now I have said before that d3 has a different set of problems than 2 or 3 and would be open to changes......but I certainly believe d2 and D1 has every ability to make it work.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bigG

We need some fencing done in Cashton.  :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

padre

I was reminded by someone probably smarter than I that I got sucked into something I shouldn't....im sorry.

littleguy301

wow this took a terrible detour.

Bottom line, I think anything that promotes our sport and helps it is a plus to the 10th degree.

The problem is that while starting this and hopefully going forward with this isnt going to solve the problem of state wide decline in wrestling. Sorry if I hurt anyones feeling but it is not and I am looking at this through open eyes.

These clubs will help out many kids achieve their dreams in the sport.

Another problem is and we as coaches/parents/fans have to realize that wrestling is not all kids in the sports favorite sport. Thus those kids are putting their shoes on in Novemeber and taking them off in Febuary. Football, soccer, baseball, golf, tennis, track and field maybe their sport of choice.

What I see in alot of sports and also in wrestling is that you have 2 kids that are equal threw youth and one of them desides wrestling is their sport. They start taking more outside the season wrestling and advance farther than the other. It becomes kind of one sided and the next thing you know is that the second kid is no longer in the sport.

What I dont want to see is that wrestling becoming a club sport and not a school sport.

2 divisions, one with 14 weights and another with 12 weights.

Sorry guys to rain on the parade, while I DO feel your creating spots and growth, I see way to many schools struggling to get kids out for wrestling. Heck I see numbers in ALL sports on the down ward cycle which isnt something that is needed.

littleguy301

From what I understand after a few years in football is that the schools that dropped to 8/9 man football are actually seeing numbers in their respective programs on the rise.

Kids know, they dont want to be on a team that gets totally throttled but if they are in a situation that they can compete they will.

Didnt like the drop to 8/9 man football at first but now I see more schools willing and doing and they still have football I like it more and more.

In wrestling if you cannt field a 14 man team, we HAVE to look at a 12 man option.

bigoil

I agree LG. If you have watched 8 man it is fun to watch, very action packed with creative offenses. The move -3 wt classes never made sense as they added a wt class between 125 and 145. The  we do away with the that add and add 2 wtclasses over 182 (use to be 185 but we use to start at 98). Maybe we could go back to the pre 1989 weights and add 8 # to every weight class.

106, 113, 120, 127, 134, 140, 146, 153, 163, 177, 193, HWT

I wouldn't look at as reducing opportunities but rather reversing a poor decision. 12 may not be right and may not help numbers but I never felt like 14 was correct.

Some have said we will lose some talented wrestlers and I do fear they are right. I have heard of varsity members quiting when teammates drop and they get bumped out, that is sad, not sure how to stop that.

littleguy301

bigoil,,,,,I think we are thinking the same as weight classes and the combining.

I have never really like the adding of classes in the upper weights. I personally feel the 220 pound class did hurt the HWT class some.

I can see a little more stretching of the upper weights and ending at 200. I am sure that 220 pound football guy would cut to 200 and may lose them but...........