Best to Never Win a State Title

Started by wrestlingislife_189, February 24, 2015, 05:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

I believe you are correct. Hang the innocent.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DarkKnight

Yea... I was shaking my head at that one... a sibling thing.

Lampe was a good one.

TLV

Quote from: bigG on February 26, 2015, 11:05:03 AM

BigG, he was convicted of Battery, a class misdemeanor with a potential penalty of $10,000 and 9 month in jail and Disorderly Conduct a class B miss. with a penalty of 1000 bucks and 90 days in jail. He plead no contest to both, was found guilty of both and was fined. The WIAA got it right IMO.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

DarkKnight

well, we don't have to rehash it I suppose.. it was what it was..

Now back to the topic, I believe most of the wrestlers have been mentioned... who has time to make a list???

bigG

Quote from: TLV on February 26, 2015, 07:54:17 PM
Quote from: bigG on February 26, 2015, 11:05:03 AM

BigG, he was convicted of Battery, a class misdemeanor with a potential penalty of $10,000 and 9 month in jail and Disorderly Conduct a class B miss. with a penalty of 1000 bucks and 90 days in jail. He plead no contest to both, was found guilty of both and was fined. The WIAA got it right IMO.

Was he convicted before the suspension. Would it not be unconstitutional to do such a thing, if he were not yet convicted?

I thought he was cleared. My mistake.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wis_grapler_08

I wonder how many other sports get this in-depth about the best athlete that wasn't quite the best.

Who are some of the best wrestlers to never even make the wiaa state tourney?

TripletDad

Brian Colburn - Lax Central
Shawn Smith - Chippewa Falls
Russ Keuhn - Holmen
Tom Campbell - Holmen
Nick Ammerman - Holmen
So many great wrestlers didn't win that title but were just as good if not better than ones that did. 

TLV

So many guys had great year and went to state and perhaps placed .....and then the next they were sick....or injured....or had a bad match at the wrong time.  I remember kid from Janesville Parker who had placed 4th at state his junior year. Got his knee twisted up in finals of regionals to a guy he could handle easy and defaulted.....end of career. Kevin Wilmot who I Mentioned before, went down state twice and senior year he and the guy in the weight class above hiim were both ranked #1 in the state. Kevin has bad match in semis of Sectionals against a kid he had previously hammered and doesn't go to state. His training partner does go to state and wins it.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

OneEyedFatMan

Has Jeff Gregorich been mentioned( Waunakee, 1979)?  A serious stud, undefeated coming in...only to lose by a slam first round.
Went on to wrestle for Indiana State, then the Badgers.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

npope

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on March 05, 2015, 08:36:44 AM
Has Jeff Gregorich been mentioned( Waunakee, 1979)?  A serious stud, undefeated coming in...only to lose by a slam first round.
Went on to wrestle for Indiana State, then the Badgers.

That was an interesting one - Gregorich was a stud, for sure. My wrestler was the one that got slammed in that match. The slam was accidental, but a slam, nonetheless.
The trainer wouldn't let our kid continue so our head coach had to make a call as to whether we default (and let Gregorich move on) or accept the win by DQ. In that moment, we couldn't know whether our kid was going to be able to wrestle in the next round and the slam occurred so early in the match we really couldn't know whether our kid had a chance at picking Gregorich off, i.e., whether Gregorich was simply so dominant that the writing would have been on the wall. So, in that moment, we felt we owed it to our kid to accept the win by DQ and see what happened once we were off the mat - which ended up as a forfeit in the next round (subsequent assessment by trainers kept our kid out of the next match).

So, both Gregorich and our kid were out. Had we known, we likely would have let Gregorich slide by, by not accepting the DQ win. Sad circumstance. But to be sure, Gregorich was a good one - shame it ended like that for him.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

maggie

Ill stick to my pick of Mineral Points Joe T, just by looking at who he wrestled in tho's finals and lost too.. and what they accomplished afterwards...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Street Glide

Gabe Paulson SR year, I think 2012 record of 43-0. Ranked #2 popped his miniscus stretching out2 days before sectional.   Some consolidation his brother Bennett picked a championship this year.

Gizmo6

Rich Tomaszewski from Weyauwega-Fremont was the winningest wrestler in WI history when he graduated. Back when it was all one division he was 120-9, 4x State qualifier(5th,3rd,3rd). Won a few National titles as well, went on to wrestle for UW.

Flatbottom

Luke Harness-Winneconne. 176-14 record.  5,3,2 placing at state.  Only 2 losses jr and sr year coming in state semis and state finals.  Just a physical wrestler. Awesome to watch
I'm not a product of my environment my environment is a product of me

bigdawg

Quote from: Flatbottom on March 06, 2015, 06:34:06 AM
Luke Harness-Winneconne. 176-14 record.  5,3,2 placing at state.  Only 2 losses jr and sr year coming in state semis and state finals.  Just a physical wrestler. Awesome to watch
+1 right here. He just bossed people around I loved his physicality