Olympic Team Trials direct RESULTS link

Started by TomM, April 09, 2016, 09:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

And Ben had a Fall. great night for our sport and State.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

jaguarwrestler

So Jesse wins... but still not in? Why is it every time I watch/follow international I remember why I don't like it? I mean in what other sports do you need to win your country plus place around the world in some competition in order to get in? I mean if someone beats Phelps in a swim in the trials they are in... right?
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

dietac

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 09, 2016, 08:25:39 PM
So Jesse wins... but still not in? Why is it every time I watch/follow international I remember why I don't like it? I mean in what other sports do you need to win your country plus place around the world in some competition in order to get in? I mean if someone beats Phelps in a swim in the trials they are in... right?
It is how the Olympics work for all sports, you just don't follow them that closely.  In the Phelps example, the winner would automatically qualify but only because the US has qualified that event in past world championships. Not all countries get a basketball team in the Olympics, past medalists automatically qualify and others have qualifying tournaments.  Same for hockey and even individual sports like track and field and figure skating.  We usually do well in those sports, so our Olympic trials result in automatic qualification.
George "The Animal" Steele

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: dietac on April 09, 2016, 08:55:48 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 09, 2016, 08:25:39 PM
It is how the Olympics work for all sports, you just don't follow them that closely.  In the Phelps example, the winner would automatically qualify but only because the US has qualified that event in past world championships. Not all countries get a basketball team in the Olympics, past medalists automatically qualify and others have qualifying tournaments.  Same for hockey and even individual sports like track and field and figure skating.  We usually do well in those sports, so our Olympic trials result in automatic qualification.

so if mango had been world champ last year then JT would auto qualify? I guess I must be way behind the times... stupid  rule :)

I also hate international because of scoring and tiebreakers... I will go with that :)
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

DocWrestling

The Olympics basically takes the best wrestlers from across the world in each weight and the US is not amongst the best in every weight class.

Instead of just having a selection for the olympics though they allow wrestlers to qualify weight classes for the Olympics through past results even if that wrestler is not the best in the country or gets beats at the trials.  The Olympics just assume anyone that beats him is good enough for the olympics.

It is the same in all other sports but usually the US is dominant in many.  I don't think the US mens soccer team has even qualified for the Olympics yet.

I also do not care for international wrestling.  Imagine if you tuned in last night to watch and the first match was a womens match that had no action and I think ended in a 2-0 score and points were scored due to passivity and not scoring on shot clock.

I was even in awe when the ref gave Thielke 2 points for his opponent starting early?  Imagine if those were the only 2 points in the Olympic trial finals?  I agree with Woody that refs have a huge role in Olympic wrestling
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

DocWrestling

Quote from: dietac on April 09, 2016, 08:09:25 PM
Great day for Jesse. It would have been even better if the one announcer didn't keep calling him Thiekle.

And that announcer was THE JOHN SMITH which made it even more disappointing
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MarkK

Quote from: woody53 on April 09, 2016, 08:24:57 PM
And Ben had a Fall. great night for our sport and State.

The announcer kept saying Clark had a great front headlock.  I'm sure he does but Ben's defense of it was great.   It surprised me because it looked like Clark didn't even see it coming.  Ben turned into him switched his hips and put Clark to his back.  Clark didn't even move to recover his position.  Great job Ben.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Ghetto

There's a woman (Forrest Molinari) who wrestled both yesterday and today? That's a dang warrior.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

woody53

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Ghetto

Graff teched tomasello. Howe beat Mark Hall.

Ghetto

Graff lost to Daniel Dennis, who I think is going to win it, in the semis, then tech called Nahshon Garrett in 22 seconds on the consolation side.

Dieringer tech falled Logan Massa in 1:30 and will be in the third place match.

Ghetto

I missed the Graff v Dennis match. Not sure how he only scored three points. Graff just demolished Alan Waters 10-0 for third.

Not sure if Dieringer can stay at 163, but he looked amazing. He might be the heir apparent to Burroughs if he can stay down there and stay away from Dake, Taylor, Ruth, Gavin, etc.

mike

Quote from: Ghetto on April 10, 2016, 02:31:44 PM
Graff lost to Daniel Dennis, who I think is going to win it, in the semis, then tech called Nahshon Garrett in 22 seconds on the consolation side.

Dieringer tech falled Logan Massa in 1:30 and will be in the third place match.
Gonna be interesting to see who corners Ramos and Dennis in finals....brands was in both their corners to this point....and it gets more interesting when you consider ramos and Dennis both train in the same room.

Fun stuff!

I got Snyder over Varner, Burroughs over Howe, Cox over Dake, and Dennis over Ramos

mike

Flo has some great post match interviews now online....check them out.

Im jumping on the Theilke bandwagon....seems unstoppable and confident....Go jesse!

Ghetto

I will take:

Dennis
Burroughs
Cox
Snyder
Austin
Maroulis
Gray
Bisek
Smith

Love watching Robby Smith. Dude looks like a biker and wrestles with reckless abandon.