How to fix the referee shortage problem.

Started by numberone, January 31, 2018, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Quote from: MARSHDOC on February 02, 2018, 01:13:25 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 02, 2018, 11:25:30 AM
Honestly I think to become an official you have to...
1) Fill out the forms
2) Have any AD sign the forms
3) Pay the fee if out of high school

Voila! You are a ref.  I did it right out of college and I don't remember even taking a test but they must. Could be different now.

We get many kids WIAA certified to ump baseball games and they have to take a test but otherwise it is that easy.
Is it really that simple?  If it is it needs to be changed.  I'd pay a fee to become certified and properly trained if I had to.  With what you said is needed what is to stop a person that never wrestled a day in his life from becoming a referee? 

It is that simple, ya nut. Get certified. Soon as my youngest is out of the house, I plan on reffing. Be a nice break from the jail (pun intended) which is why I post at 3:00 AM.

The only thing stopping that person would be their own self-doubt. Or the fans chewing your tail for 8 hours.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on February 04, 2018, 05:45:16 AM
Quote from: MARSHDOC on February 02, 2018, 01:13:25 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 02, 2018, 11:25:30 AM
Honestly I think to become an official you have to...
1) Fill out the forms
2) Have any AD sign the forms
3) Pay the fee if out of high school

Voila! You are a ref.  I did it right out of college and I don't remember even taking a test but they must. Could be different now.

We get many kids WIAA certified to ump baseball games and they have to take a test but otherwise it is that easy.
Is it really that simple?  If it is it needs to be changed.  I'd pay a fee to become certified and properly trained if I had to.  With what you said is needed what is to stop a person that never wrestled a day in his life from becoming a referee? 

It is that simple, ya nut. Get certified. Soon as my youngest is out of the house, I plan on reffing. Be a nice break from the jail (pun intended) which is why I post at 3:00 AM.

The only thing stopping that person would be their own self-doubt. Or the fans chewing your tail for 8 hours.

"The fans chewing your tail" is one of the biggest deterrents for the young guys I've talked to about this.  Another big one is the fact that many of them have jobs with irregular hours and/or on-call responsibilities, etc. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

MARSHDOC

Quote from: MNbadger on February 03, 2018, 08:15:03 PM
You must be a big sumo fan then, correct?
Quote from: MARSHDOC on February 02, 2018, 10:43:30 AM

I actually do enjoy watching a bit of sumo.  The wrestlers immediately engage off the start.

ramjet

I think college has this right. They have the brick and replay. The Penn State Vs Ohio a state last night had a few really close calls. It was amazing and dramatic to watching unfold. That dual last night is what's wrestling needs to be about it was outstanding for everyone involved. What exciting, fun, dramatic wrestling last night.

thequad

I think that it is a lot easier refining good wrestling than lesser wrestling.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

ramjet

Quote from: thequad on February 04, 2018, 11:04:17 AM
I think that it is a lot easier refining good wrestling than lesser wrestling.

I agree

You missed my point the brick to challenge will get rid of much dessention and give a tool
To coaches instead of being forced to accept a controversial call replay or discussion may change it maybe get it right. Good for everyone ...... right?

bigG

So that would would make the hire of a cameraperson essential, wouldn't it?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Oldtimer

As a former ref abuser I learned a lot about how dumb I was after I started reffing.  I've been reffing (not varsity) for quite a few years now and still make mistakes (just last Friday I interpreted the out of bounds rule incorrectly).  Of course the coach was upset and was letting me have it but it's ok to have the conversation.  I informed the coach that I would check on the interpretation on my break and I found I was wrong.  I got better.  It's hard for some refs to recognize that legitimate calls that go against one kid will sometimes draw the ire of that coach or parent.  Same happens in baseball/softball.  Too often the coach blames the ref for one call as a result of an entire match or game.

At youth I think it would be a deterrent to some small kids wrestling if parents weren't allowed at the mat (very young kids).  They are already scared.  It would be nice if there was an effective training video that could be played prior to all tourneys and matches for parents to show proper behaviors and really bad behaviors.  Maybe even a video as part of the coaches and referee certification.  We need the fans and coaches (and teammates) to be loud and excited in support of their wrestler, just not targeted to a referee. 
Beware of the northern sleeper

Jimmy

Does anyone know what the criteria are that a coach uses to rank a ref? Also why can't the refs see the coaches comments anonymously. I think refs really do want to learn and do the very best they can. Hard to improve if you don't know what you are doing wrong. Last comment, when conference commissioners and athletic directors constantly hire the same select few it makes it very hard for new refs to get any meets.After ten yrs. of youth and ms with only the occasional varsity it I'm sure causes us to lose younger refs.

thequad

Quote from: Jimmy on February 05, 2018, 02:02:09 PM
Does anyone know what the criteria are that a coach uses to rank a ref? Also why can't the refs see the coaches comments anonymously. I think refs really do want to learn and do the very best they can. Hard to improve if you don't know what you are doing wrong. Last comment, when conference commissioners and athletic directors constantly hire the same select few it makes it very hard for new refs to get any meets.After ten yrs. of youth and ms with only the occasional varsity it I'm sure causes us to lose younger refs.
Yes that would be great if the coaches would do it.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.