Cliff Keen tournament

Started by leg turk, November 29, 2017, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossface21

Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on December 04, 2017, 03:13:34 PM
Quote from: crossface21 on December 04, 2017, 10:08:21 AM
Wyoming is ranked 17th, and UW isn't ranked so I don't see what the issue is there. In theory, UW shouldn't be ahead of Wyoming. It would have been nice.

As for saying "if the Badgers didn't have the Wick brothers, their finish would have been ugly". Yeah, but you can bring that argument into it for any team. If OSU didn't have Pletcher, Miles, and Moore, they wouldn't have finished where they did.

The theory is Wisconsin should have a lot more to offer than Wyoming when it comes to recruiting, if your happy finishing behind Wyoming thats cool, it does not set well with me that is all

I didn't say I was happy with it. But expecting UW to beat out Wyoming when UW doesn't have a team to do it, is unrealistic.

And I agree, it shouldn't get to this point that one of the largest universities in the country that has some of the most to offer is behind universities that have much less as far as resources. I'm also tired of hearing the "wait till next season" or the "in 2 years we're going to be really good" mantra.

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Quote from: Live2Pin on December 04, 2017, 03:01:23 PM
Ohio State did what they did without Olympic Champ Snyder, NCAA champ Tomasello and recent world bronze medalist Joey McKenna.

That's all true - so very impressive job by tOSU! That said, they are still likely to come in only second to PSU at the NCAA...that is a LOT of talent concentrated in two teams!!
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

mkm13

Quote from: npope on December 04, 2017, 03:51:49 PM

That's all true - so very impressive job by tOSU! That said, they are still likely to come in only second to PSU at the NCAA...that is a LOT of talent concentrated in two teams!!

A lot of talent, and a lot of $ being thrown around.

Jimmy

Only second npope?  tough crowd!  ???

npope

Quote from: Jimmy on December 04, 2017, 05:03:36 PM
Only second npope?  tough crowd!  ???

With a line up filled with high placing AAs and an Olympic champ, I think "only" is an accurate modifier  ;)

Nat Pope

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: crossface21 on December 04, 2017, 03:29:57 PM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on December 04, 2017, 03:13:34 PM
Quote from: crossface21 on December 04, 2017, 10:08:21 AM
Wyoming is ranked 17th, and UW isn't ranked so I don't see what the issue is there. In theory, UW shouldn't be ahead of Wyoming. It would have been nice.

As for saying "if the Badgers didn't have the Wick brothers, their finish would have been ugly". Yeah, but you can bring that argument into it for any team. If OSU didn't have Pletcher, Miles, and Moore, they wouldn't have finished where they did.

The theory is Wisconsin should have a lot more to offer than Wyoming when it comes to recruiting, if your happy finishing behind Wyoming thats cool, it does not set well with me that is all

I didn't say I was happy with it. But expecting UW to beat out Wyoming when UW doesn't have a team to do it, is unrealistic.

And I agree, it shouldn't get to this point that one of the largest universities in the country that has some of the most to offer is behind universities that have much less as far as resources. I'm also tired of hearing the "wait till next season" or the "in 2 years we're going to be really good" mantra.

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation, sounds like were on the same page

AZKing

The problem is Wisconsin has never even won an NCAA title.  It isn't even a thought or a possibility at the present point in time and hasn't been for years. Wisconsin was once a strong program that had year after year of competitive wrestlers that provided excitement to its Fanbase. I think the wrestling fans in Wisconsin deserve more. People constantly go to bat for Barry Davis and  there are an endless supply of scapegoats by badger supporters. I think everyone in Wisconsin wants to be a badger fan but seeing them under perform and not reach what they should  in regards to potential is hard for most of us to swallow.

Look at what the football team did relative to the recruits other teams have I think Wisconsin had six, four or five star recruits compared to Ohio State's well over 50.  It's hard to say it's not possible when it's being replicated elsewhere.  Look at what ASU did. How many years ago did they drop the program and this year they are ranked well above Wisconsin and finished third at the CK.

There are always going to be highs and lows but I think  sometimes a change is needed to reinvigorate excitement and passion into a program.  Why aren't Wisconsin fans demanding a program that can shoot for a team title and possibly come home with some hardware? That's what gets me about these fans that so staunchly defend BD and his team.  

Too early for the Ben Askren vote?  

bigG

I'm with you. I'd love to see that change. Change is uncomfortable, though, for the people that don't feel as we do. For those who are in the athletic department , or on the Board of Regents, Bucky's doin' just fine in wrestling.

lizard king

Wyoming's coach has done a great job of developing talent.  If you watch them wrestle a dual they are fun (in my opinion) to watch, very physical.  Beating them is never easy.

bigG

Reminds me of Boise St. a few years ago. You thought "where dah heck did these guys come from?"

Good for Wyo. Be nice to WI shift gears just a bit. I fear those wheels of change will grind much more slowly that the Badger wrestling community will welcome.

Barou

Quote from: AZKing on December 05, 2017, 03:13:15 AM
The problem is Wisconsin has never even won an NCAA title.  It isn't even a thought or a possibility at the present point in time and hasn't been for years. Wisconsin was once a strong program that had year after year of competitive wrestlers that provided excitement to its Fanbase. I think the wrestling fans in Wisconsin deserve more. People constantly go to bat for Barry Davis and  there are an endless supply of scapegoats by badger supporters. I think everyone in Wisconsin wants to be a badger fan but seeing them under perform and not reach what they should  in regards to potential is hard for most of us to swallow.

Look at what the football team did relative to the recruits other teams have I think Wisconsin had six, four or five star recruits compared to Ohio State's well over 50.  It's hard to say it's not possible when it's being replicated elsewhere.  Look at what ASU did. How many years ago did they drop the program and this year they are ranked well above Wisconsin and finished third at the CK.

There are always going to be highs and lows but I think  sometimes a change is needed to reinvigorate excitement and passion into a program.  Why aren't Wisconsin fans demanding a program that can shoot for a team title and possibly come home with some hardware? That's what gets me about these fans that so staunchly defend BD and his team.  

Take it easy.  If you get too critical of BD and promote Askren, the thread could get deleted.
JHI Mafia

npope

Quote from: Barou on December 05, 2017, 08:36:04 AM
Quote from: AZKing on December 05, 2017, 03:13:15 AM

Take it easy.  If you get too critical of BD and promote Askren, the thread could get deleted.

I don't know about that Barou - play nice and Tom usually allows for a long leash...unless it turns to religion or politics...then you gotta jump in quick with your comments before the thread gets the ax.

Nat Pope

bigG

littleguy301

I may be out of line here but I have a couple of thoughts on the Badger program and the RTC.

While their is a lot of people on here calling for Askren to be the head coach. I know since I have been on the forum (2003) people have called for BD replacement.

Well with that said, how about Askren to be involved in some form at the RTC first then move up. How about bringing in some real big name for the RTC. I have heard that Ramos was in the mix along with others.

I have no problem with Mr Turner running the show and I really like Nazer in the room and on staff also. I think another big name on the coaching staff whether it is part time would really help over all.

I wish Wisconsin the best in wrestling, watching from a far.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet