Cliff Keen tournament

Started by leg turk, November 29, 2017, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lizard king

Not a bad weekend for the badger wrestlers, tough tourney.

Ivan Stankowski

They finished behind U Wyoming, yep great weekend!!!

leg turk

If it wasn't for the freshmen phenom's Wick brothers, it would have been a real ugly outcome. 

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

FloWrestling projected Wisconsin to finish 18th with 16 points. (before bonus points)

Wisconsin finished tied for 12th with 56 points. (after bonus points)

And Ben Stone did not enter the tournament at 285 - a very good chance he would have scored some team points.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

crossface21

Wyoming is ranked 17th, and UW isn't ranked so I don't see what the issue is there. In theory, UW shouldn't be ahead of Wyoming. It would have been nice.

As for saying "if the Badgers didn't have the Wick brothers, their finish would have been ugly". Yeah, but you can bring that argument into it for any team. If OSU didn't have Pletcher, Miles, and Moore, they wouldn't have finished where they did.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on December 04, 2017, 09:30:21 AM
FloWrestling projected Wisconsin to finish 18th with 16 points. (before bonus points)

And Ben Stone did not enter the tournament at 285 - a very good chance he would have scored some team points.
+1
But I understand those that are frustrated as we finished 2nd last year behind Medbery first and Jordan second place finishes.
Very impressed with Evan Wick and his body of work this weekend. And RR some good wins

wrastle63

Quote from: dad 2 5 on December 04, 2017, 10:11:43 AM

+1
But I understand those that are frustrated as we finished 2nd last year behind Medbery first and Jordan second place finishes.
Very impressed with Evan Wick and his body of work this weekend. And RR some good wins
There were good performances and some that weren't so good. I thought 125 and 133 were not great, but that is where we are at with those weight classes. I thought 141 and 149 were very impressive. They both were competitive with the 2 seed and were pushing them right up to the whistle. 157 Crone wrestled alright. I thought he should have placed though so a little under. 165 obviously very impressive. 174 and 184 both beat some very good wrestlers that were ranked ahead of them including some matches were they weren't favored. 197 about what was expected.

npope

Quote from: leg turk on December 04, 2017, 08:47:23 AM
If it wasn't for the freshmen phenom's Wick brothers, it would have been a real ugly outcome. 

Well, that's true, Turk, but they are indeed on the team and wrestling with a W on their chest. So I don't get the implications of making their presence on the Badger squad an asterisk on the team's outing. The coaching staff recruited them, trained them,  and now coach them. They just happen to be a couple of the better performers on the team right now.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

leg turk

Quote from: npope on December 04, 2017, 11:24:42 AM

Well, that's true, Turk, but they are indeed on the team and wrestling with a W on their chest. So I don't get the implications of making their presence on the Badger squad an asterisk on the team's outing. The coaching staff recruited them, trained them,  and now coach them. They just happen to be a couple of the better performers on the team right now.

What I meant was, they had the talent already before coming here.  Phenoms!

dad 2 5

Quote from: wrastle63 on December 04, 2017, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on December 04, 2017, 10:11:43 AM

+1

well said
There were good performances and some that weren't so good. I thought 125 and 133 were not great, but that is where we are at with those weight classes. I thought 141 and 149 were very impressive. They both were competitive with the 2 seed and were pushing them right up to the whistle. 157 Crone wrestled alright. I thought he should have placed though so a little under. 165 obviously very impressive. 174 and 184 both beat some very good wrestlers that were ranked ahead of them including some matches were they weren't favored. 197 about what was expected.

mkm13

Quote from: leg turk on December 04, 2017, 11:56:11 AM

To be fair, you could say that about almost all the elite college kids prior to entering college.  That is what makes recruiting so important. 

Evan Wick was very good in high school, but even so he was only ranked in the 20's overall in his recruiting class.  He has improved a lot since then, and more than most in his class. 

bigG

Kyle Dake, the Mongoose, Imar. All just phenoms.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

I am sorry but this is one of the stupidest things I have read. Man Penn State would have had a real ugly outcome at NCAAs last year if they didn't have all those kids who were good in HS. THAT IS THE POINT!

Live2Pin

Ohio State did what they did without Olympic Champ Snyder, NCAA champ Tomasello and recent world bronze medalist Joey McKenna.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: crossface21 on December 04, 2017, 10:08:21 AM
Wyoming is ranked 17th, and UW isn't ranked so I don't see what the issue is there. In theory, UW shouldn't be ahead of Wyoming. It would have been nice.

As for saying "if the Badgers didn't have the Wick brothers, their finish would have been ugly". Yeah, but you can bring that argument into it for any team. If OSU didn't have Pletcher, Miles, and Moore, they wouldn't have finished where they did.

The theory is Wisconsin should have a lot more to offer than Wyoming when it comes to recruiting, if your happy finishing behind Wyoming thats cool, it does not set well with me that is all