WIAA Board of Control votes to seed team state

Started by DocWrestling, June 22, 2017, 03:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Have not seen official word yet but WIAA Board of Control approved seeding WIAA state basketball and wrestling team state tournaments.

Also approved shot clock in basketball.  Goes into effect 2019/2020?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

TomM

Beginning next season, the State Tournament in team wrestling will also be seeded by coaches of qualifying teams. The process will replicate the procedure approved in boys hockey. Another wrestling recommendation approved for 2017-18 increases the total number of medals awarded to 28 at the State Team Tournament, which equals the number of eligible athletes. In other wrestling-related discussions, the Board was informed of a change in the Feb. 1, one-pound growth allowance to take effect on the date of the first regional competition.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ramjet

This is step in the right direction.

Getyourpounts what say you?

Coach V

From what I understand, the pound would be given at Regionals instead of February 1st. So 106 would still be 109 at Regionals.
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

Bigfellow

So when is the seeding being done?
At team Sectionals or after the teams make it to state?
If you want to become the best, You got to wrestle the BEST!

Coach V

Thursday at Individual State. D1 seeds(separates) themselves, D2 and D3 vote for seeding(separation) for their 2 divisions. That's the way it was explained to us.
D1 - top 4
D2 & D3-top 2

I say seed it all or none. If 2 and 3 are voting for each other then all divisions vote for each other. It may take some homework from some teams but its easy enough to do nowadays. Do it right or not at all. I get it, its a step in the right direction. Don't be satisfied with 50%.
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

Troy Grindle

I am not sure why they wouldn't seed all the way down?????

The 2 and 3 seeds are probably the most important in D2 and D3.  Similar to the 4-5 seed in D1.  With only having seeding for the top 50% of teams it could get political and emotional for coaches voting on those seeds for a coach/team they like or don't like.

I really hope that they seed all the way down.  I think it will be less intrusive for the head coaches to vote then.
And then there was that.

Jimmy

4 wrestles 5 first round in eight team bracket . Why does it matter?

Troy Grindle

If you only seed the first four teams then the other four just get randomly put in.  So the 5th team as voted on by the coaches could end up wrestling the 1 seed.  In d1.

And then there was that.

Jimmy

I get that but the object of seeding is to separate the perceived best teams. If it perceived that you are not one of the best then what is the difference when you wrestle who. You need three upsets to win it all.

FinalWord

Quote from: Jimmy on June 27, 2017, 12:42:12 PM
I get that but the object of seeding is to separate the perceived best teams. If it perceived that you are not one of the best then what is the difference when you wrestle who. You need three upsets to win it all.
I disagree with the argument that you don't seed the last four teams or last two teams in a 4 team bracket. It's more than simply separating 1 and 2. All teams need to  be seeded and placed in brackets accordingly.
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

Barou

Quote from: FinalWord on June 27, 2017, 03:40:39 PM
I disagree with the argument that you don't seed the last four teams or last two teams in a 4 team bracket. It's more than simply separating 1 and 2. All teams need to  be seeded and placed in brackets accordingly.

All teams should be seeded and teams that are defeated should wrestle for 3rd (D2 and D3) and 3rd and 5th (D1).

Another WIAA half measure. 
JHI Mafia

MNbadger

If you wrestle back to third then seeding is only necessary for making sure of third vs second. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

woody53

Quote from: Barou on June 27, 2017, 03:45:49 PM
Quote from: FinalWord on June 27, 2017, 03:40:39 PM

All teams should be seeded and teams that are defeated should wrestle for 3rd (D2 and D3) and 3rd and 5th (D1).

Another WIAA half measure. 
As recommended by the Coaches Association. So Blame the WIAA.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove