Stratford

Started by Wrestlologist, February 20, 2017, 08:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricGuy

Quote from: padre on March 01, 2017, 10:28:22 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 01, 2017, 10:03:06 AM
Quote from: head57 on March 01, 2017, 09:31:44 AM
Hopefully Stratford gets into 1 or both. A school that size doesn't get to the level they are at very often, and it'd be great to see them go against the best across the nation when they get the opportunity.
Hard part was this was their best chance. Next year they will still be very good, but not quite at this level in my opinion.

Lose a lot in the upper weights. They have quality kids that can fill most everywhere else.  However, if not next year then it won't happen as they lose a ton more.  It would have been great to see them go to THE CLASH but at that time they were missing three state champs from their line-up and some other ones banged up.  So it would have been more what ifs for posters.

Coach, I heard there is some WIAA rule that makes it dicey for WI teams to go to tournaments like the Clash / Beast / Poweraid / ect....   It has something to do with - WI teams aren't allowed to compete against a private schools that don't participate in their own state series.   I'm probably describing it wrong, but it played into our teams choice of where we were going to go for our Christmas tourney, Bethlehem PA actually advertised it that way "Public School Championship".   Again, I know it's not all private schools, as I said just ones that don't participate in their state series.  Example: If we went to the Clash and depending on match-ups, we had to face one of these schools we would have to forfeit.   

Maybe somebody in the know can weigh in.   I had never heard of it before this year.   

We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

oldfan

It's the Prep Schools that wrestle 5th year seniors , like a warm up year after high school and before college . Blair is very expensive and they have a blood line to the Ivy's.
So some kids will prep there. If they wrestle, MN, WI and a bunch of other states can't compete. Has been this way for a long time , has come to light after Blair came to the Cheese and somebody from another state questioned their participation. Even thou they sent JH wrestler's for years to the Battle of the Bay in our state.

DarkKnight

Quote from: ElectricGuy on March 01, 2017, 11:56:11 AM
Quote from: padre on March 01, 2017, 10:28:22 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on March 01, 2017, 10:03:06 AM
Hopefully Stratford gets into 1 or both. A school that size doesn't get to the level they are at very often, and it'd be great to see them go against the best across the nation when they get the opportunity.
Hard part was this was their best chance. Next year they will still be very good, but not quite at this level in my opinion.

Lose a lot in the upper weights. They have quality kids that can fill most everywhere else.  However, if not next year then it won't happen as they lose a ton more.  It would have been great to see them go to THE CLASH but at that time they were missing three state champs from their line-up and some other ones banged up.  So it would have been more what ifs for posters.

Coach, I heard there is some WIAA rule that makes it dicey for WI teams to go to tournaments like the Clash / Beast / Poweraid / ect....   It has something to do with - WI teams aren't allowed to compete against a private schools that don't participate in their own state series.   I'm probably describing it wrong, but it played into our teams choice of where we were going to go for our Christmas tourney, Bethlehem PA actually advertised it that way "Public School Championship".   Again, I know it's not all private schools, as I said just ones that don't participate in their state series.  Example: If we went to the Clash and depending on match-ups, we had to face one of these schools we would have to forfeit.   

Maybe somebody in the know can weigh in.   I had never heard of it before this year.   

Stratford is only losing 4 Sr. Starters. I'd peg Stoughton vs Stratford as a pretty good match in December, as well as Stratford vs KK. Fennimore is losing Seniors, as well as Stoughton, Ells,  the like.

Stratford's Jr class is super, Hoffman (4th at 195), Schoenherr, Schoenfuss, Drexler (3rd at 132), and others, as well as a great sophomore class (led by Manny Drexler and Derek Marten) and some great freshman (Schwabe, Dennee, etc), they will be solid from top to bottom still.

Stratford may be the best in the state next year, but time will tell on that one. KK and Stoughton look like the return extremely tough teams, but by first glance Stoughton seems to be losing more.

LC and Ellsworth will be all pretty up there as well, as well as Coleman, and Fennimore gets back Riley Blair.Blair probably would have really manhandled the field at 126lbs this year, seeing how Wanek won it in close fashion and Blair is a bit stronger and more talented than Wanek.

Fennimore loses 4 stud seniors, but i do not know what they have coming up behind them.

foose4

I don't see the scenario of entering either the Clash or Cheesehead ever coming up for Stratford.

Like was said by Padre, the weekend of the Cheesehead Stratford was without 7 starters including all 5 state champs on the team, wouldn't been much of show to see at the Cheesehead.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

wrastle63

Stratford did make their schedule much tougher this year with the Dells Duals and wrestling some multis against top teams in the state.

DarkKnight

For this weekend,

at 106 will be interesting, Lull can be a dogfight.
I'm not sure is Schwabe will  be back at 113 or not to take on Fennimore's 113lber.

At 126 Wanek vs Marten will be worth seeing, Marten has to redeem himself and Wanek proved to be much better than I had incorrectly guessed.

I don't think Stratford will bump up Schoenherr to Tollefson again, unless the match is already won and Schoenherr wants a rematch. Which is quite possible.

I would have loved to see a Coleman vs Fennimore dual in the semis that would go have gone down to the wire. Coleman scored 99 points at State compared to Fennimore's 69 points, but the dual would be a good toss up I think.

wrastle63

Stratford will bump up. Schwabe won't be sitting on the sidelines. They will likely bump everyone up 1 weight class if he doesn't make 113. They would most likely bump out Becker, Schoenherr, Ehrike, or Hoffman depending on matchups.
The most likely being Schoenherr at 182.

head57

Quote from: foose4 on March 01, 2017, 01:22:01 PM

I don't see the scenario of entering either the Clash or Cheesehead ever coming up for Stratford.

Like was said by Padre, the weekend of the Cheesehead Stratford was without 7 starters including all 5 state champs on the team, wouldn't been much of show to see at the Cheesehead.

Why couldn't that happen? The Clash I could see being difficult and somewhat expensive, but why wouldn't the Cheesehead be a possibility?
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

foose4

Quote from: head57 on March 01, 2017, 02:22:42 PM

Why couldn't that happen? The Clash I could see being difficult and somewhat expensive, but why wouldn't the Cheesehead be a possibility?

It always could happen, but from what I know, it won't, and I personally am ok with that.
Zig Ziglar

head57

Quote from: foose4 on March 01, 2017, 03:09:00 PM

It always could happen, but from what I know, it won't, and I personally am ok with that.

I don't mean for this to be at all accusatory in tone because there isn't a right or wrong choice here, but aren't you highly intrigued to find out how that team and those individual stack up against the type of competition they would see at the Cheesehead?

thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

foose4

Quote from: head57 on March 01, 2017, 04:31:54 PM

I don't mean for this to be at all accusatory in tone because there isn't a right or wrong choice here, but aren't you highly intrigued to find out how that team and those individual stack up against the type of competition they would see at the Cheesehead?

For me personally, not real intrigued.  Have different goals than participating in the Cheesehead or Clash tournaments.  But that's the take of me and my family. 
Zig Ziglar

Barou

Quote from: head57 on March 01, 2017, 04:31:54 PM

I have no skin in the game but I am highly intrigued to see how Stratford would compete at the Chessehead.
JHI Mafia

DarkKnight

eh, get Kaukauna to the Dells in December so stratford and KK and Stoughton can get a go at each other.

heart123

you might be surprised at how Stratford would do at at the cheesehead and the the clash only a handful of Stratford kids compete at national level. Jeremy all American and mason Kauffman I know the Drexler's compete at national level also

Knee Sweeper

I think Stratford can also throw out some good Athletes after the kids you listed as well. Kamren Bornbach has 3 State Titles. Tyson Kaufmann has 1 and Schoenfuss has 3 also. That's 7 titles between them. Not bad kids to fill in with after your list.