2016 - 2017 Roster

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, June 20, 2016, 12:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Russ Hellickson was on Wisconsin's football team for a couple years before concentrating on wrestling.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Numbers

Quote from: DocWrestling on August 22, 2016, 09:47:35 AM
If he was to play football then he would have to be on football scholarship.  You cannot give scholarship money to a wrestler and then they play football.  They would count against the 85 man scholarship limit.  (You can not be a scholarship wrestler and a football walk-on as far as I know) Point is that he would have to be an outstanding football player that the football team is willing to give a scholarship to and it does not sound like that will be any kind of a possibility with the scholarship limits football has right now. 

Football would have to be top priority year round and then join wrestling team in January.

In reality he will have to choose one or the other

Not if the NCAA moves the wrestling season to the Spring semester in a couple years  :)

npope

In 1972, Ed Vatch and Mike Jenkins "split" a wrestling and football scholarship. They each wrestled and played football. That experiment lasted one year and then Jenkins just played football and Vatch just wrestled.

Sounds goofy, I know, but I got that straight from Jenkin's brother - and I am sure that they both played football and wrestled that one year.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

MarkK

Didn't Tim Krumrie toy with the idea, but ruled it out as too difficult to pull off?
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

npope

Quote from: MarkK on August 23, 2016, 09:15:27 AM
Didn't Tim Krumrie toy with the idea, but ruled it out as too difficult to pull off?

I do believe Krumrie was on the mats for at least part of his freshman year before focusing solely on football. That said, I have no idea as to his scholarship situation.

Nat Pope

Badgerfan

Krumrie wrestled his Freshman and Sophomore years.

npope

Quote from: Badgerfan on August 23, 2016, 08:41:35 PM
Krumrie wrestled his Freshman and Sophomore years.

I don't ever remember him breaking into the starting lineup...anything on that front?

Nat Pope

dad 2 5

in the badger bok I have it list Tim as one year, 1981 but I can't find any record. have to dig some more.

billymurphy

Krumrie was also on the Wisconsin wrestling team in 1979 and 1980 and finished fifth at the Big Ten Championships as a sophomore heavyweight.

npope

Quote from: billymurphy on August 24, 2016, 09:42:00 PM
Krumrie was also on the Wisconsin wrestling team in 1979 and 1980 and finished fifth at the Big Ten Championships as a sophomore heavyweight.

Thanks!

Nat Pope

uncle Fester

in 1979 he was in high school
we didnt come here for a picnic

imnofish

Quote from: uncle Fester on August 30, 2016, 09:04:27 AM
in 1979 he was in high school

In the spring, but not in the fall. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Andersonman1234

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on August 08, 2016, 08:48:16 AM
Projected Roster:

125 Lantz / McClelland / Jimenez (RS)
133 Stickley / Cullen / Spray (RS)
141 Grahek / Rowh / Martin
149 Crone / Lubeck / Donar / Zander Wick (RS)
157 Ruschell / Scharenbrock / Schmid / Evan Wick (RS)
165 Jordan / Quintanilla / Cathery / Covaciu (RS)
174 Christensen / Liegel
184 Robertson / Stilling
197 Peissig / Ritter / Reinhardt / Chadd
285 Medbery / Stone / Wetter (RS)

Last year's starter, or projected starter if new, listed first; should be some great battles at several weights.

RS - Redshirt

Ricky is going down to 174 and battling it out with chrisensen and ritter is going 184, reinhardt will start over peissig.

mkm13

If that is true, the good news is Ritter is likely better than Christensen and Robertson, and we know what they can do at the big 10 level.  Hopefully Christensen or Robertson can figure out the cut to 174 and be successful there. It is too bad we couldn't get all of them in the lineup at their ideal weights. When you don't have the depth of PSU/Iowa, etc, it is tough to overcome your best guys being stuck at the same weight. Also hope Reinhardt has grown enough to be solid at the big 10 level at 197.

wrastle63

Reinhardt is definitely big enough for 197. Will be interesting to see who wins between Christensen and Ricky. Ricky looked off last year hopefully he turned it around. Also interested to see who starts at some of the lighter weights.