Olympic Team Trials direct RESULTS link

Started by TomM, April 09, 2016, 09:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handles II

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 09, 2016, 09:00:18 PM
Quote from: dietac on April 09, 2016, 08:55:48 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 09, 2016, 08:25:39 PM
So Jesse wins... but still not in? Why is it every time I watch/follow international I remember why I don't like it? I mean in what other sports do you need to win your country plus place around the world in some competition in order to get in? I mean if someone beats Phelps in a swim in the trials they are in... right?
It is how the Olympics work for all sports, you just don't follow them that closely.  In the Phelps example, the winner would automatically qualify but only because the US has qualified that event in past world championships. Not all countries get a basketball team in the Olympics, past medalists automatically qualify and others have qualifying tournaments.  Same for hockey and even individual sports like track and field and figure skating.  We usually do well in those sports, so our Olympic trials result in automatic qualification.

so if mango had been world champ last year then JT would auto qualify? I guess I must be way behind the times... stupid  rule :)

I also hate international because of scoring and tiebreakers... I will go with that :)

The US has only qualified 9 of the 18 weights for the olympics. So we certainly have a LOT of work to do in just two tournaments. In addition, the top wrestlers from other countries who haven't qualified will be there too. Certainly not a lock. If we get 12 weights qualified, that might be considered "good". It would blow to win the olympic trials and not become an olympian.

mike

Is NBC not showing tonights finals live? On direct tv its shows finals listed at 9:30 tonight. 

GradeTough

The finals are on nbcsports.com but on television. Looks to start at 6pm CT.

jaguarwrestler

man the tie matches decided on criteria just make me want to pull my hair out. Have at least 1 overtime before some crazy multi scenario criteria decides a match.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

imwi

Quote from: Ghetto on April 10, 2016, 03:21:31 PM
I will take:

Dennis
Burroughs
Cox
Snyder
Austin
Maroulis
Gray
Bisek
Smith

Love watching Robby Smith. Dude looks like a biker and wrestles with reckless abandon.

Not bad

Ghetto

Did anyone see the Tony Ramos exit interview? Dude is seriously ticked off and wants to coach and beat Iowa. Mitch Hull or someone should get on the phone and call him and tell him to come to Wisconsin. He can start tomorrow.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ghetto

Quote from: imwi on April 10, 2016, 09:35:06 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 10, 2016, 03:21:31 PM
I will take:

Dennis
Burroughs
Cox
Snyder
Austin
Maroulis
Gray
Bisek
Smith

Love watching Robby Smith. Dude looks like a biker and wrestles with reckless abandon.

Not bad

Missed on Austin (Anthony that was supposed to be). She looked tiny compared to Augello. Rumor is Augello won't make weight in two weeks to qualify the weight. Anthony or Lampe will have to do it for her. I'm guessing Lampe will hang it up, and idk how motivated Anthony will be to go win it for her.

Harris

Quote from: Ghetto on April 10, 2016, 10:34:49 PM
Did anyone see the Tony Ramos exit interview? Dude is seriously ticked off and wants to coach and beat Iowa. Mitch Hull or someone should get on the phone and call him and tell him to come to Wisconsin. He can start tomorrow.

He didn't hold anything back  :o

MarkK

[/quote
http://www.flowrestling.org/video/966258-ramos-feels-betrayed-by-iowa
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

wraslfan

Tom Brands response to Ramos' interview is like listening to a politician. Professional, but vague and weak IMO.   

Barou

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 10, 2016, 07:46:00 PM
man the tie matches decided on criteria just make me want to pull my hair out. Have at least 1 overtime before some crazy multi scenario criteria decides a match.

+1
JHI Mafia

Barou

Lot of emotions going through Ramos that's for sure.  The defeat certainly brought out everything he was thinking.  I hope him and Brands work it out.  I'm pretty much anti-Iowa but I always thought Brands came across as pretty loyal to his guys.  Listening to Ramos' press conference and Brands' press conference it is conflicting on which corner Brands was in.  I would think the best thing to do in that situation is stay out of a corner.
JHI Mafia

Barou

For the record, I think Dennis is our best chance to medal in Rio.  Congrats to Molinaro and hope he proves me wrong but I think there were about 5 other wrestlers in that weight class with a better chance to medal.  He got it done, go after it Frank.

Sad for Lampe, girl paid her dues.  Sounds like this might be it for her but would be awesome if she competed for one more cycle.  If this is it Alyssa, great career.  Way to represent WI.
JHI Mafia

Ghetto

Dennis is our best chance to medal? Not Burroughs or Snyder?

I was sad for Lampe as well. Always right on the cusp. The girl that beat Lampe is huge for the weight. Hope she doesn't have weight issues at the Olympics.

Molinaro wrestled out of his mind. I agree that he's not the best 65 in the country, but on that day he was. For the record, I'd rather have Molinaro than Metcalf. Metcalf is a grinder, but isn't (IMO) athletic enough to get it done on the world stage.

Barou

Quote from: Ghetto on April 11, 2016, 12:04:17 PM
Dennis is our best chance to medal? Not Burroughs or Snyder?

In the weight class he is our better chance to medal over Ramos.
JHI Mafia